What draft choice would you have taken?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gtexan02, Sep 19, 2005.

?

Which choice would you have made?

1. LB Derrick Johnson (Awesome LB)

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. DE Travis Johnson (Could be a DL anchor)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  3. T Jamal Brown (Rookie of the week according to gbn)

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  4. T Alex Barron (Gifted LT)

4 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. Trade up for a big name WR

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

And Why?

2. D-Rob23

D-Rob23 Veteran

OT Jamal Brown : Ask David Carr

However, I was definitely shocked by the Texans passing on Derrick Johnson... Then again I should not be surprised by these decisions anymore...

3. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

SIMPLE TAKE BPA! Derrick Johnson was the best player on the board when the Texans selected @ #13. the system can adjust to change for a playmaker on defense the magnitude of Derrick. I never really gave it much thought at the time because I did not think he would fall to the Texans. the Vikings should have taken him @ #7. so basicly teams are passing on one of the two (DeMarcus Ware being the other) defensive players in the entire draft for need or BETTER system fits.

Drafts should be to build a franchise future not address year by year needs & you don't pass on Pro-Bowl potential players because "they don't fit our system". I'm wondering why Casserly ever invited Derrick to Relient for a workout & interview? anybody remember that :confused:

4. throwANDREtheBALL

throwANDREtheBALL Veteran

its a no-brainer

IF we had a good GM, we would of signed a decent OL in FA, filling that need
    OT - Jonas Jennings
    OT - Chris Terry
    OT - L.J. Shelton
    OL - Mike Wahle (he's a 6'6 OG, and very quick footed, definitely could've played OT, and very well)

Or since the coaches wanted to improve the D-line first, sign just one of these guys in FA.
    DE - Kevin Carter
    DE - Marques Douglas
    DT - Pat Williams
    DT - Jason Ferguson
    DT - Corey Simon

No matter how little the team did in Free Agency, they still should've taken the best player available.

Therefore Derrick Johnson LB was the pick.

5. beerlover

YOUR RIGHT ON, THATS A NO BRAINER :brickwall

6. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

I agree with everything you said.

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Too bad Jammal Brown is playing RT right now and Alex Barron is 2nd team tackle for the Rams...

8. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

A lot of LTs start at RT and move over to LT. And Barron is the #2 because he is playing behind Orlando Pace

9. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

barron, left tackle position is weak

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

gtexan02 makes some points but I think the most important one is that in order to start for the Texans Barron would need to be better than our current LT (or RT, depending on where you're putting him) and how far down the Rams depth chart he is makes no difference whatsoever. I think it's safe to say that they're better than we are on the line and deeper too.

Not that I would have taken him. We didn't need another season of Carr getting crushed while a rookie LT learns on the job. We needed a veteran LT to stop the bleeding immediatley. The Texans should have signed the best available free agent LT as soon as possible. Overpay if you must because this is the one spot on the team where it's ok to overpay. Just get it done. If necessary they should have made Orlando Pace an offer he couldn't walk away from.

The team said they were serious about fixing the situation on the line. The team lied.

11. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Now that is a quote I'd like to remember. Truer words were never spoken.

12. beerlover

I'm wondering if the Texans have a shot this year at drafting DeBrickshaw Ferguson would they pass on him too :confused:

13. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

If the draft was today and they passed on him. I realy dont know what i would do but it wouldnt be pretty. It probably be somthing like :goodnight

14. mes311

mes311 Rookie

Would you have also been willing to give up the 2 1st rounders it would have taken to get the 29 yo LT that hasn't missed many games?
    It may have been worth it, especially if he helped you get a low first next year.

15. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

would I give up a Jason Babin and Travis Johnson for Orlando Pace?

YOU BET YOUR *** I WOULD!

16. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Two first rounders is to much. What would we do without AJ and Drob

17. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

not every 1st rounder is a top 10 pick that turns into a pro bowler right away.

18. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I know but what if our next two 1rst rounders turned out to be a top five Lt and the next randy moss. would you take that risk. Pace is not the anwser to our problems.

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Allthough he would help

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

In an ideal situation Bubbajwp I'd agree with you that Pace isn't the answer to our problems. The Texans have allowed "our problems" to fester so long however that I think a drastic solution like Orlando Pace or, at the very least one of the other free agent LT's that signed early is the only answer.

In Orlandos case people don't want to give up the pair of 1's but honestly, you're adding Orlando Pace to your team. Orlando Pace is himself a 1 so that offsets one of the picks you give up. You're trading a possibility for a known quantity and giving up years (because Pace isn't a puppy anymore) in exchange for getting him right now. Consider the second 1 you would lose an investment. If you don't give that 1 up you're going to waste the 1 you spent on David Carr because without protection you might as well have thrown that one away too.

Seriously though, in a perfect world we took care of this two seasons ago. I can accept that the gamble on Boselli didn't pay off. I can't accept that there was no "Plan B". Everybody has a freakin Plan B in this business. Everybody you want running your team that is.