What does this tell you????????..................

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Nov 28, 2008.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The Houston Texans, despite consistently lurking at the bottom of the barrel in so many aspects of the NFL, are one of the top valuated teams in the NFL.

What does this tell you about..........

...............Our fans?

...............Our investment vs. returns versus our owner's

...............Our owner's business sense vs calculated intents?

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The Texans did slip this year from 4th in previous years to 5th this year. I beleive it's printed in Forbes.

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

A stable team with a stable organization in a major market. Houston also happens to be like the 4th or 5th biggest cities in the US.

4. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i think a lot of it has to do with a new fairly new stadium.

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

yep.....

6. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Houston is the 4th largest city in the US :thisbig: and closing in on Chicago (#3). Maybe we catch them by the next census in 2010!

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

It tells me

1. We are great, loyal, fans. We put our money where our mouths are.
    2. The owner needs to spend the money now that we have the cap room. Our loyalty only goes so far.

Fire Bobby Greir & hire someone who can identify & sign 2 or 3 impact FA's

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Houston Texans fans are suckers, and Bob McNair is a very rich man. :victory:

I say this with no malice in my heart as I continue to look for ways to keep paying for my own season ticket in the face of an ever-shrinking personal budget.

9. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Honestly, if you wanted to get rid of them, they probably wouldn't be worth much.

The sellouts have been basically thanks to ticket brokers for years now, so that always bumps up the income. Same with being a major market team and a new stadium.

10. mexican_texan

HDTV's are pretty nice and cheaper too. I just got one for $125.

11. mexican_texan

In all honesty, we're probably closer to 2 or 3. The census doesn't count everyone

12. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

Where? I don't have HD and would love to join the 21st century.

13. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10971156 - Mostly teams with either long history in the NFL or teams with new stadiums.

Yeah Texans fans are suckers, or is it just those that go to games? Seems like malice to me that you call everyone who buys anything Texans related a sucker for supporting the team. By the way you have to be a very rich person to own any sports related franchise. Be it football, baseball, or basketball. He did chunk down $800 mil or so to get the NFL back in Houston. He has hired guys like Casserly wo at the time, right or wrong, were respected in their profession to help build the team. He knows business not scouting players. He cares about Houston and having a team in there, not about having a 3-4 defense or a 4-3. So why the shot at him for being rich? If he was middle class we would not have the Houston Texans, it would be the LA whatchamacallits.

I mean not supporting them does wonders for putting a winning team on the field like Jacksonville and Detroit has shown. At least our owner is not Al Davis or Dan Snyder.

I am as disappointed in the team as anyone, mostly the defense this year but showing such disdain for the owner I do not. Rick Smith is the GM, it is time he put his stamp on the team and show that he is in-charge and do what is right. Why not show anger towards him not getting rid of Bobby Grier and Dale Strahm.

Sorry DB but I take your post differently.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Spec

Because Mr. McNair may not know football but a blind man can see that D. Smith, Greir, Riley & Hoke need to be fired & They have been hear since 2002. Exclude D. Smith.

He understands money & the only way to get through to him is the bottom line.

I think that if he wasn't scared of a season ticket holder revolt Casserly & Capers would still have a job.

15. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Newish stadium
    Fans have PSLs which keep them vested
    Only thing the owner can definitely control is promoting fan friendly things like tailgating. No owner can make a team for sure win, but they can do stuff like this.
    Big city and good marketing staff that takes advantage of the big city.

I can tell you most assuredly that the owner wants to win more than any of us want the team to win. The trouble is that there is no one *right* way to win.

16. Tscout20

Tscout20 Memphis Texan!

Does any of this help our record this season?? I love the stadium. I enjoy rooting for the team, most of the time. Tailgating is memorable. However, I am ready to win, not just in December.

17. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

After 7 years of a relatively questionable product, for whatever reason, ownership has continued to make money........and fans have continued to maintain loyalty (as exemplified by previous posts). The PSLs have essentially kept many fans (including corporate PSLs) "hostage" or still always hoping that they will yet see a "whole" team "next" year. Food, team merchandise and parking prices go up while the coffers continue to fill and the fan's pockets continue to shrink. I don't really see where the fans are getting any significant benefits in return. And I believe the owner can do more than furnish a good environment for tailgating. The way things have gone over the past 7 years, as only one example, I see ownership making a nice continuous return on player jerseys. Yet, with the continuous high annual player turnover, a good deal of those expensive jerseys are now worthlessly hanging in fans' closets. Try selling any of them, even on Ebay as collector's items..........for that matter see if you can even give them away.

BTW, before pointing to the 300 million dollar value input into Reliant, has everyone forgotten the tax "deal" the city of Houston made with McNair (which can be added as another hidden cost to fans)........this is besides other typical expected operating tax breaks.:

...........and let's not forget the 300 million dollar naming rights to be paid over 32 years, if not by Reliant Energy, certainly by someone else............

18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I beg to differ but I will keep that between me and the NFL.

Signed,

Jerry Jones

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

TC

I dont know if an owner can make a team win but I know how how an owner can make a team lose.

He can keep around people that helped cuse the salary cap mess (Greir)
    The most inuries in the league. (Riley) for several years
    The worst secondary (Hoke). for several years
    Giving contract extensions to HWNSNBM (favorite son) DDW (Fan Favorite) because they made him money.

If the blame goes to Smithiak for most of these bad decisions then sign me up for the fire them all & start over crowd.

20. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Hint: :victory: = humorous intent (see my post you quoted)

I don't call anyone out for buying Texans gear. I buy it all the time. Matter-of-fact, I bought a $25 camo hat at the stadium last game. You betcha' that I'm a sucker, especially for Texans gear I like.

As far as Mr. McNair is concerned, I stated fact. The cat is a very rich man. And I've always appreciated him for bringing us the Texans and defended him accordingly. You can check my history. I've always thought he was an owner with class.

So you can take your assumptions and give them to yourself for Christmas. You certainly have a right to your perceptions. :victory: