What does T.J. need to work on in the weeks to come?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by burro, Dec 18, 2011.

1. burro

burro almost sentient

I think we can all agree that T.J. needs a little work, but what specifically do you think he needs to focus on? Off the top of my head:

1) Going through his progressions more thoroughly. He's missed some wide open receivers in the past few games. This could be remedied by T.J. just taking his time.

2) Keeping track of where the coverage is. He tends to lose track of coverage when it sinks underneath (take his first INT today as an example). I think this mostly comes with experience, but it's still something for him to focus on in the film room.

and 3) Selling the play-action. This shouldn't need much explaining, his fake hand-offs are painfully obvious at times and seeing how big a portion of our game plans revolve around the PA pass, this is an issue.

That being said; in spite of him having a bad outing today, I still think Yates is legit and has what it takes to win games in this league. If he works hard throughout the rest of the regular season, I think he'll surprise people in the playoffs.

cbs1507 and Corrosion like this.
  2. msbbc833

msbbc833 Veteran

Establish a deep threat

3. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

anyone else notice that a lot of times when he fake hands the ball to the running back it is on the wrong side and he is handing off to air ???

4. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Get experience.

5. FR0497

FR0497 Rookie

I was able to make the game today and your first point occured quite often. He missed Daniels over and over on the deep routes. And then on our second fg he went for the touchdown where Dressen (I think) was covered and he had Jones open on the short pass. His accuracy was not very good today either, lots of underthrown passes.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

He's a rookie, making rookie mistakes. Add to that he was on the practice squad most of the year, so his timing with the 1st string recievers isn't there yet.

He'll either improve or he won't. And we won't have a long time to discuss it since we play this coming Thursday.

7. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Not throwing the ball to the other team.

8. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

He needs to work on his qb skills, all of them!

His play action is bad, his accuracy is all over the place and he seems to stare down his wide outs too much.

My question is IF he sucks again Thursday, do we consider making a change in week 17 to prepare for the playoffs?!?!

9. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

Rookie QB's, they remind me of my kids when they were all around 17, 1 minute you want to hug them and tell them how awesome they are and the next minute you want to choke the dog sheet out of them and ask what in the heck were you thinking there.

If its meant to be he'll get better if not he won't. He did miss some wide open receivers today, not necessarily with the pass but not seeing them at all. On his 1st interception he missed a wide open WR, I think it was JJ but it could have been Johnson on the opposite side of the field and on another pass he threw short to Walter when he had a wide open Johnson in the corner of the endzone in what appears to be in the same field of vision. Having said that it wasn't realistic to think this kid would play flawless for the rest of the season.

Hopefully he's better Thursday night.

10. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Accuracy.

11. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Being Matt Schaub.

Really he just doesn't have the playbook down yet. He led us back through a very soft zone coverage last week whereas this week they played safety close and a lot of single coverage fake reads. We just flat out didn't execute, he's a rookie qb, we're going to have bad games, we just can't turn the ball over.

12. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Look the guy has no real receiver to throw the ball too this is sad to say but this team has done nothing to improve the passing game we are totally dependent on 1 player (Andre Johnson) in the passing game. TJ has played fine and yes he threw some picks today but let's be fair when your running back is the leading receiver that is a poor sign that you have no ability throw the ball down the field and we will get exposed in the playoffs because management refuses to address the WR position with a serious candidate who can come in and make an impact. Terrell Owens would help us right now but we are too worried if he will be a distraction and this & that. Terrell knows the west coast system from his days in san fran & philly we need help now for the playoffs and people were happy about the Jeff Maehl signing when we all know this guy will not an impact this season.

13. burro

burro almost sentient

He had receivers open on a number of occasions today and he flat out missed the throws. Between KW, B. Johnson/Jacoby, OD, Dreesen, and Foster/Tate the receiving core is adequate w/o AJ.

14. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Do you watch the same football games that I watch? You're not even close in your assessment bro. Have you ever played a single game of football?

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I agree with all of the above .... good post.

He's a rookie making rookie mistakes against NFL defenses ..... they have a way of making rookies look like rookies.

Only difference between this week and the last two is that the Texans defense wasnt up to the task of keeping the team in the game giving them a chance to win.

16. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

He's got to work through his progressions and not panic when he doesn't see anything there. Most of his interceptions come when he starts to panic and tries to force something.

He's also got to calm down and throw accurately. With that said, I still believe in him. He has 3 TDs and 3 interceptions now? Not bad for a rookie. He still has great poise in the pocket.

17. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

i will agree with him about us being to dependant on A.J. We need to draft a true #1 in the draft. A.J will still be the #1 but look at what Atlanta has. Imagine that with our running game. We would be unstoppable.

18. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I say make no changes to him starting. Thats how you make him second guess himself.

The guy needs to put up more points on the board if anything. These next two games will tell us if he can rebound and have a good game and score. If we struggle with the next two, and dont win by a couple of scores, I will be concerned going into the playoffs.

If you look at Tom Brady, Joe Flacco, Ben Rothlesberger, Matt Ryan, and Eli Manning they all (especially Eli) Schuab(Texans Data exception) threw interceptions early in their career. Its what an inexperienced rookie does. And at the end of the day, its about the W. I dont care how it happens, just win.

Brady 1-2 in his first 3 games. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/gamelog//

Flacco 2-1 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlacJo00/gamelog//

Rothlesberger 2-1 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoetBe00/gamelog//

Ryan 2-1 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanMa00/gamelog//

Eli 0-3 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannEl00/gamelog//

Dilfer 0-3 http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DilfTr00/super-bowl/

Schaub 2-1(Texans) http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchaMa00/gamelog//

EVOLVIST likes this.
  19. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

Let's get back to the reality of the situation a bit: Rookie QBs who start as rookies simply do not fare very well in the NFL without the benefit of sitting and learning a while.

There are very few exceptions to this rule - and no rookie QB has ever been asked to take a playoff bound team all the way, with 4 games left in the season.

Let's look at rookie QBs in their first 3 starts:

TJ Yates (2-1)
    QB rating = 76.9

Peyton Manning (0-3)
    QB rating = 48.9

John Elway (1-2)
    QB rating = 45.9

Dan Marino (2-1)
    QB rating = 114.8

Steve Young (1-2)
    QB rating = 47.4

Troy Aikmen (0-3)
    QB rating = 39.2

Eli Manning (0-3)
    QB rating = 42.4

Donovan McNabb (1-2)
    QB rating = 65.6

Ben Roethlisberger (3-0)
    QB rating = 94.4

Matt Ryan (2-1)
    QB rating = 77.1

Joe Flacco (2-1)
    QB rating = 65.9

Cam Newton (2-1)
    QB rating = 85.1

Blaine Gabbert (0-3)
    QB rating = 68.7

Christian Ponder (1-2)
    QB rating = 73.2

Andy Dalton (1-2)
    QB rating = 82.1

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.

Out of this small sampling, only 2 QBs have passed for more yards than TJ Yates in their first 3 starts:

Cam Newton = 1012
    Dan Marino = 704
    TJ Yates = 700

The odds are stacked against TJ - though he has been the consummate professional on and off the field.

What we are seeing out of "The Kid" are traits that scream rookie. But we are also seeing aspects of his game that looks as if he's been behind center in the NFL for years. It really is a mixed bag.

It's a mixed bag because, no matter what Kubiak says to the media, no matter what Yates says, and no matter what the rest of the team says, there is more on TJ Yates' shoulders then there would have ever been on Schaub's or Leinart's.

The whole season is resting on #13.

Yet, through it all, so far, TJ Yates has played beyond most of the rookie standards set by HOF players, future HOF players and his peers.

This Yates kid could very well be a bust. And whether it's fortunate or unfortunate that the Texans are going through this has yet to be determined.

What does T.J. need to work on in the weeks to come? Damn strong deltoids!

cbs1507 likes this.
  20. 2BCF

2BCF Hall of Fame

This is definitely an example of OJT.
    Last week his passes were fit for a 7-foot WR, this week he was planting them 5 feet in front of the receivers.
    Hopefully next week they'll be more on target.

I like seeing the kid scramble for yardage, he's no newton but why not utilize all his talents.