What does Ray Rhodes bring to the table?(Ra-Ra story on various links)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

with the seahawks

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2003/04/03/rhodes_defense_ap/

The Eagles
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-17989460.html
    from the packers
    http://www.packers.com/news/releases/1999/04/04-02.html/printable/

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul99/packsid31073099.asp
    :fans:

TexanBacker93 and SeƱor Stan like this.
  2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

[​IMG]

IF we draft a CB in the 3rd.. maybe this will help also

3. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I am bumping this.. I am curious through the 4 days of trainng camp, I haven't heard anything mentioned about him out there coaching or anything.

has anyone seen or noticed what he is doing ?

4. stiff

stiff Rookie

At this point it is hard to say. But if his history is any indication the secondary will be much improved this year.

With the bad rap the Texans O-Line has received since their inception Alex Gibbs is probably going to be the the headline story for a while.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

true, I was wondering how his teaching with molden or even bennett was doing

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

He's been mentioned a few times by several of the DB's, I thought.

7. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I think the best part about bringing him on staff is that can concentrate on one particular, the secondary, and if he see's other issues with the D I'm sure Ray is the type of guy to voice his opinion and get things squared away.

I believe him and Gibbs will do wonders for the betterment of the entire team and not just their specialty.

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I've kinda wondered what this hiring said about Kubiaks opinion of Jon Hoke,
    who is now effectively the second-fiddle among DBack coachs ?
    I'd kinda thought they were grooming Hoke for a bigger role down the line within the Texans coaching hiearchy, but signing Rhodes perhaps suggests they may be thinking of moving him out ?

9. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

I think its too early to know for sure. Kubes doesn't seem to hesitiate to bring in an experienced coach to work with a specific area even if another coach is already there. Sherman worked with the OLine, but John Benton was and still is the official OL coach. I think a requirement to be on this coaching staff is to shove ego aside and accept whatever help comes the team's way. Every coach can learn something and hopefully by bringing in guys like Gibbs and Rhodes it will make the others better.

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IMO, Hoke is the man. He's been the primary DB coach at camp the past few days. I actually have to search for Rhodes, but Hoke will get your attention without even having to look for him. LOL!

FWIW, Hoke has been the lead man in every drill I've seen thus far. :texflag:

11. SOLIS

SOLIS United We Stand

I've been very bullish on the Ray Rhodes hiring from the outset. He's done outstanding things in his career as a defensive coordinator and definitely has the credibility to influence the Texans young secondary.

During the draft, Rhodes was given the assignment of evaluating the safeties, so I would expect him to continue to focus on that area of the secondary.

Rhodes' real value lies in his ability to mentor players and coaches alike. His influence, regardless of how long he stays on the coaching staff, should serve this team well for years to come.

12. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I read some article that talked about most coches on an NFL team and we have the most. It seems that we have a thing for having young guys and experienced guys. All to keep the tradition and knowledge in house. That way once the older guys leaves we don't miss a beat. I think Ray is a good thing for Jon and rest of our staff.

13. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

yeah, I don't really see the Rhodes hiring as a threat to Hoke. I don't think they are preparing to "move him out", as you say. I completely agree that it would appear that the Texans philosophy is to blend the new with the experienced and constantly groom the entire staff to keep the philosophies in house. I would go so far as to say that the Texans have an extremely long term view of this current regime and that we probably won't see alot of coaching changes making headlines over the years. Great point about the "ego aside" concept that they seem to have. I love it too!

I know if Richard Smith doesn't get big results out of our D this year many of us will be calling for his head but I would be willing to bet that they are taking a community approach and other than a flat out scape goat, I don't know that he'd be the one to go.

14. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I think Rhodes was here just like Gibbs to mentor and not really take a job away