What does Kornheiser bring to MNF ?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by nunusguy, Jul 7, 2006.

1. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I watch PTI on ESPN and wonder what Tony Kornheiser, who may be Jewish and from New York like Howard Cosell, wonder what more he has in common with the late Cosell to make a contribution to the upcoming ESPN MNF telecasts ?
    OK, he's got some of the abrasive, obnoxious schtick that Cosell had going on,
    but does he know anything about football ? His sidekick Wilbon on PTI has to repeatedly explain too much simple football info to him to leave me with any faith that he can bring any useful knowledge to the subject on the new, upcoming ESPN version of MNF. I'm just left with the thought that he got the job because of office politics at ESPN.

2. WiiBrawler

WiiBrawler WiiMan

Crap thats what he brings, Monday Night Football shouldnt have changed stations with Sunday Night, MNF is destined to be on ABC

3. TexanFan881

TexanFan881 Hall of Fame

I don't think his career on Monday Night football is going to go too well...but good luck to him none the less :thumbup He doesn't seem like a very good live announcer for MNF but I think he does a good job with PTI, so we'll see.

4. Hutch13

Hutch13 List of demands

maybe he will say Good Night Canada! like what he does on PTI. Just a thought

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Good question. I like TK, but am not sure if he is MNF material. Time will tell, but am willing to give it a whirl.

6. DRIFTAWAY

DRIFTAWAY All Pro

I didn't even like him on PTI

7. Ihategeeks

Ihategeeks Hall of Fame

TK cracks me up...... Atleast I'll be frequently entertained.

He isn't stuck up. He'll point out babes in the crowd. When Thiesman says something stupid, he'll be right on top of it.

This is going to rule ! RUUUUUUUUUULE!!!

8. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

I liked his ESPN radio show and I like PTI. So I'll be open minded about this gig.

Hopefully he lasts longer than Theisman.

9. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I like Kornheiser and I love PTI. I'm not sure how much football he knows about, but I'll wait and find out.

10. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

MNF wanted someone that has quick humor like dennis miller, but yet knows sports. Kornheiser knows sports and will be able to keep up with the game without having to look in the ESPN sports almanac to know history of the game and what is going on. He'll do ok. Really, I could care less though. I turn down the volume anyway.

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

There will never be another Howard Cosell. Many detested him, I was on the other side of the fence and thought he was a uniquely talented and entertaining personality in the world of sports. And a brilliant man.
    The combo of him and "Dandy Don" was one for the ages. And yet MNF was just one niche of many that Cosell traveled in.
    But back to Kornheiser. If they insist on putting him in the lineup, maybe they should bring along his buddy Wilbon ? The thing is Theisman is not very strong and his insight and overall smarts aren't top drawer IMO.
    The team of K & W would have to tone down their loud, boistrous dialogue for
    the MNF shows and concentrate more on business and less on insulting each other. But they obviously have the chemistry and appear to genuinely enjoy each others company, most of the time. I definitely can't see Konheiser and Theisaman clicking.

12. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i think he'll fit right in:francis:

13. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

I read somewhere recently that he's not preparing anything. His role is that of a fan, asking questions and making observations that some guy on a couch at home might be doing at the same time. With one guy doing play by play, and the other talking about how it was when he was in the league - 25 years ago - it should work. It's MacGuire's role with a different personality.

14. swisher

swisher Old School

I'm looking forward to it....then again I am the one guy who loved Dennis Miller on MNF.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I was a huge Cosell fan growing up and to this day will stop and listen or watch anything pertaining to him.

16. 19-10

19-10 Veteran

I can barely listen to he and Theissman argue and bicker like my two kids that are 9 & 7. I was ready to here Joe say nana nana boo boo, I told you so last night. Joe is bad enough but he did have a great NFL career and knows football. TK is just horrible, looks and sounds like a little weasel and adds nothing to the mix worthwhile. Why do you need 3 in the booth? Why aren't there 3 people that can do a good job together? Why is ESPN showing Jay-Z videos???????????? Oh the things you worry about when your team sucks

17. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

Cornhole needs to go!

18. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i like him on PTI where he's paid to be brash & arguementative. as a broadcaster, he's absolutely terrible. and theisman is still a moron.

19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Boo Boo Commentary/Analysis:bananasplit:

20. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

He brings manlove to MNF. I think he called Grossman- "Rexy".