What do we think about mike williams

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by teamplaya, Feb 23, 2006.

1. teamplaya

teamplaya Rookie

he might not be the ideal o-lineman for our scheme but i think he's better than any of our lineman and would be a huge upgrade and he was just cut so maybe we can get him and bring him back to texas

2. Skrobes66

Skrobes66 Rookie

This is great news for the Texans.......He is a huge upgrade compared to whatever rotating left tackle that we have....

3. Scribe

Scribe Rookie

A good friend of mine is a big Bills fan and I heard him constantly gripe about how disappointing Williams has been. Said he seems to run block ok but does a lousy job at pass protection. I don't know personally, since I've not really watched the guy, but just thought I'd pass along an observation from a Buffalo fan who follows his team religiously.

4. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

the guy has been a bust since coming out of texas...i don't want him anywhere near our team...i think he's just a big lazy lineman who can't pass protect and we got enough of those guys here

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

The guy is a #4 overall pick who couldn't beat out a 3rd rounder who was released (mid-season) by his drafting team for the LT spot and ended up the season as the back-up LG. We could get him and Victor Riley and have two 1st rounders at tackle--that would have to give DC a warm and fuzzy, either that or a black and bruised.

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

one post on the bills MB showed the 2002 draft.. and Carr was #1 and Williams was #4... hmmmmm so much for a theory of going ugly early on that year.

and people here would probably had a fit if we had picked Roy Williams that year (at that time) .. just shows ya.. gotta do your homework (Williams went #8)

8. Jerry

Jerry Veteran

This guy would most definitely NOT fit into a zone-blocking scheme at about 6-6 370. I think that if we weren't going with one he would be a great find at RT as an excellent run blocker/mauler type (but it wouldn't have worked out with Wade here as well). He could be a good tackle still, just not for us.

As for the 2002 draft, I believe that both Bryant McKinney (#7) and Levi Jones (#10) have developed into very good left tackles for their respective organizations.

9. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Infantry,
    I could be wrong, but didn't they draft him to be a Right Tackle? I have to look it up, but I could be wrong.

I somewhat remember Bryant McKinny was the best LT Prospect and Williams was the best Right Tackle prospect.

10. Doom Capers

Doom Capers Veteran

How about the receiver! I am sure he can block better than anyone on the line now.

11. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

yeah he was a RT

Leonard Davis was supposed to be a LT

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Semi-grand Poobah Staff Member

I may be wrong as well, but I believe he was drafted to be the LT (rarely are RT's drafted #4) and then was moved to RT, has been moderate to good at run blocking but bad at pass protection and now is at LG as a backup. Anyway you cut it, he was the top T and is a bust.

Leonard Davis was from the year before.

13. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

mike never had the feet to play LT. he was jus too big for his own good.

he was *supposed* to be better than Davis. :hmmm:

14. cap1

cap1 All Pro

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

For the Bills, he was a good run blocker and poor pass-blocker. The Bills haven't exactly been good at pass-protection and did have Drew "Take a Sack" Bledsoe as their QB for 3 of William's 4 years. I think he could become a decent RT if he got into the right situation.

16. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

From evrything I am reading, this guy is a clone of the kind of OL players we already have. I think Capers would have liked this guy, but Kubiak probably won't. We need a legitimate pass-blocking LT, as well as a fast pulling gaurd. Do we have either of these yet?

17. cap1

cap1 All Pro

True I don't think this guy comes here. I don't know who will pick him up, but someone will give him a chance.

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I think we take too many guys expecting them to play better for us than they did for <team X>. I would like us to step up and actually sign someone that even the best of critics would have a difficult time condemning. Mike Williams clearly isn't a guy I want. I hope the best for him though.