What do we do about Rick Smith?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by dalemurphy, Dec 7, 2009.

1. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Assuming a coaching change is imminent, what do we do with Rick Smith?

Let Rick Smith handle the coaching search?- Get to keep him as GM... however, that will eliminate some of the top choices like Cowher, Gruden, etc... I guess Shanahan would still be in play and possibly a guy like Greg Williams.

McNair runs an independent search for a head coach and allows his choice to make decisions about the GM, etc...?

McNair hires a new GM, who then brings in his own head coach?

2. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

This is actually one of the reason that I'm not on the pink soap bandwagon already, the 'fear' of losing Rick Smith if Kubiak leaves too.

I really want Smith to stay, I thing he's VERY good at drafting and getting players from FA. Kubiak, well... I'm so-so right now, he does some really good things, but come gameday, his player selection and playcalling is ignorant, bordering arrogant.

3. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

I feel ya on that. My pink soap is for Kubiak only, but losing Rick Smith
    would probably hurt the team even more. One has done his job, and the
    other make dumb decisions and ARROGANTLY refuses to switch it up.

4. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

I'm on the fence with Rick Smith.

He's good at bringing in guys off the street for the minimum.

Some of his big-name FA signings have been god-awful. His draft results have been hit-and-miss.

It's hard to tell how much of it has been Kubiak and how much has been Smith.

5. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Smith is the young African-American GM and face of management that gives McNair the look of a progressive, PC organization that is probably important to the owner.
    Did he make the choices, was his input significant in the Draft picks since he's
    been here ? If so that's certainly worth something because Cushing and Duane Brown have been productive top picks even though the wisdom of the Okoye choice is obviously dubious. FA acquisions are another story.
    If McNair were to replace Kubiak with a non big-name coach, keeping Smith might be the way to go but if he really wants to get a high-profile guy like Cowher then that calibre coach probably wants a dual role of HC-GM meaning
    Smiths would be gone.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I am assuming that Smith stays simply from the fact that he is signed through 2012.

7. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If they keep Rick Smith, I believe they would have to involve a consultant for the coaching hire.

I think they should keep him given the state of the CBA, and his work to date.

8. Mr. White

FWIW, here's what Richard Justice says about the situation.

9. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

Why does everyone like Rick Smith? Other than Cushing and Diles none of his draft picks deserve to be starting. Okoye and Brown may eventually develop, but right now they are not living up to their draft status.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

Rick Smith does a good job, IMO.

It seems, unless it's being covered up somehow, that he does what he can do and stays out of the way of the coach.

It seems that he scrutinizes contracts and doesn't give away the farm, thus keeping us from being plunged into cap hell.

I don't know if Smith has to go if Kubiak goes. You guys can check my post history on this topic: I've always said that the REAL "keeper" from the Kubiak era will be Rick Smith, that he NEEDS to stay aboard even if Kubiak gets let go. I think he does his job pretty well, in spite of everything he inherited from Casserly.

Gurry Kubiak is doomed. The Jacksonville game was even worse than the previous three losses, IMO. It was damning of Kubiak's gameday management. It was arrogance in the red zone, trying to be "cute" instead of going with our bread-and-butter (AJ and two WRs who are good "possession" type receivers). In a red zone situation, you toss it to AJ or your two possession-type WRs who just thrive on short routes.

Plus, how this coaching staff didn't know that MJD would run the ball over and over and over and over again, at end of game, is beyond me. We should have stuffed the run, we'd have gotten the ball back, and we might would have scored a TD unless Chris Brown was the one who had the shot at the TD.

11. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 IDBLDogDareU

Kubiak has been mediocre and it's time to go. Rick Smith has also been mediocre and I would not be crushed if he was fired too.

12. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I more than normal, I would ignore anything that Justice says about Rick Smith. Previous blogs/columns from him indicate Justice he has some personal/professional issue with Smith.

13. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Jacoby Jones
    Zac Diles
    Kasey Studdard
    Duane Brown
    Steve Slaton
    Cushing
    Barwin
    G. Quin
    James Casey

all appear to be good draft picks... Okoye isn't exactly a horrible miss. There are very few misses (Bennett, Adibi?, Molden?) But, more impressive than his drafts, are his FAs, particularly the ones he's found under the rocks:

Dressen
    Briesel
    E. Wilson
    Pollard
    Reeves
    Antonio Smith
    C Myers
    M. Schaub (trade)
    Deljuan Robinson
    Bulman
    Kevin Walter (trade)
    Andre Davis
    Rashod Butler
    Ryan Moats
    Shaun Cody

14. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

Rick Smith has done pretty decent especially in the 1st round and the coaching staff had some say in those picks as well and lets not talk about the coaching on the field as that has been horrible. Kubiak is gone for sure and Rick Smith could be back in the fold and if so Shanahan is the #1 choice.

15. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Everyone watching the game knew that was going to happen, but inexplicably the Texans couldn't stop him after doing so all game long. I dunno but the defense appeared fatigued to me ? Maybe our defense was on the field longer than I realized but they were sluggish at the end, got their hands on MJD but couldn't bring him down.

16. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I would have to agree. I'm on the fence about Smith. If Kubiak is let go, I can't see one of the Big Name coaches coming in here, and Smith having more power over personnel then the coach. Our drafts and FA have improved, but I don't see Smith getting 100% of all the credit. Also, IMO you don't let Smith do the search and hire for a coach.

17. Mr. White

Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned here....

Demeco and OD should have been re-signed before they hit free agency.

That's on Rick Smith.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Geniusness of Rick Smith! He played hardball instead of letting the players dictate terms. Now, because of the collective bargaining situation, Demeco and OD are looking at 2 more years as RFAs. They will have to agree to a reasonable deal or face not getting a real contract until 2012.

19. MannyFresh

MannyFresh El Capitan

How about a GM and coach who aren't boys....this Kubiak and Rick Smith buddy system doesn't work...

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

They have not hit free agency yet... nor will they after this season