What do our strongest units rank against rest of league?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Feb 14, 2010.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

I'm assuming everyone will think our strongest units for offense/defense are WR/LB respectively...

Where does our WR unit and LB unit rank in comparison to the rest of the NFL? Top 10, top 5, number one?

Do not just take into account the starting unit, but also the depth of competing units. The Texans are deep at WR/LB!!!

2. redwhiteANDblue

redwhiteANDblue Color of Texans

W.Rs has to be second to only the Pats. Pats have Moss and Welker and then don't forget Edleman that ripped up our defense last time. Our LBs have to be the best in the league. Demeco and Cushing? Thats just sickening.:tvhorror:

3. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Can't forget about the Cards. Fitz, Boldin, Breaston, Doucet. Eagles with DJax, Maclin, Jason Avant. Pack have Driver, Jennings, James Jones. I'm probably forgetting a couple of other ones, too. I think the Texans are probably top 5-7 in WR.

4. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

You guys really think very highly of our WRs. Andre Johnson is in a class of his own but Walter and Jones have not accounted for as much as one would think considering Schaub's gaudy numbers. Our passing attack relies on our RBs and TEs just as much as our WRs. I'd rank us between 7 to 10 but what the hell do i know. I just don't think we have as an elite corps as it's beginning to sound. Mainly because the Texans could easily decide to upgrade some of our WRs in the upcoming draft. We could use improvement.

thunderkyss and Yankee_In_TX like this.
  5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I agree. After Andre, we don't have alot going for us besides Owen Daniels. Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones work for right now, but we don't have any young guys looking to get PT. Andre Davis is not doing anything anymore, and David Anderson will probably always be a strictly situational guy. I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a WR in the 4th or 5th round this year, especially if we are able to somehow trade back and get more picks. Last year I thought they might pull the trigger on Jarrett Dillard out of Rice. He seemed like a savvy guy who could take advantage of this system.

6. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I agree, Nitro. We have a beast in AJ, then a handfull of your average WR's. I don't know if we'd use a pick on a WR, but I'd like to see a little upgrade there too. Will JJ continue to progress into a solid #2? Will K-dub bounce back if we were to re-sign?

I just noticed that we only have 6 WR's on the roster, including the PS. So, I expect we'll be bringing in a couple few more. Hopefully somebody can win the #2 outright.

7. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

The LB and WR unit are at least in the discussions for sure.

Anyone else agree that TE could very well be up there as well? I thought Dreessen was actually pretty good in the open field. Then you have potential in Hill and Casey. But it was Open Daniels who was lighting up the league with league leading numbers before he went down.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

In the top ten for both WR and LBs if you also include all the backups at those spots. Maybe even top five.

9. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Again only referring to WRs... I think it's our backups that drag us down. Andre Davis, Glenn Martinez, David Anderson and Jacoby Jones are an average backup corp. To be called elite... You can't be worried about the TEAM if Andre Johnson goes down. Davis filled in admirably two years ago but he didn't do any running after the catch. I'd call that us undervaluing Matt Schaub more than anything else back then.

10. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    is QB a unit? cuz if so that's the strongest offensive unit...

11. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

That was my immediate thought then i reread TRJ's post. We have to consider our depth. Our depth there looks pretty gross and i mean that literally.

12. AnthonyE

AnthonyE Lurker

Zing!

But if you think about it, our 2nd and 3rd string QBs are both former starters, one was a starter in a SB. That has to account for something. At least we don't have two players who haven't played in a game before.

13. Bronco Texan

Bronco Texan Veteran

Yeah, but except for maybe the Vikings and Eagles the rest of the League's depth is pretty bad too. So in that case I'd say we are at least in the top 10 for QBs.

14. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

QB - top 7

WR - top 5 (MIN, ARI, PHI, GB other 4)

TE - top 5

LB - the best 4-3 LB crew, top 5 in NFL if 3-4's are factored in

DE - top 10

15. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Truth be told... The QB position is not really a unit therefore it cannot be fairly ranked.

16. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I shoulda put an asterisk stating your starting QB is a one man unit. You don't wanna have a quarterbacking unit I suppose-whats the saying, if you have 2 quarterbacks you don't have any?

17. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Then i think you've got Matt Schaub ranked a little low. Note that i said Schaub not the Texans QBs. Schaub's pretty good.

18. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I've gained a rep for being a bit too much of a :homer: so I'm trying to scale back a bit. This is what I'm working on this offseason haha.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  19. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

Are you talking about the 1 and 2 WR tandems from teams? Or are you factoring in all WR options as a corps?

20. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

I know you're responding to m5kwatts. I'd like to chime in. I 'm going to assume your question has to do with the Saints not being on his list. It doesn't matter whether we're talking about tandems or corps when it comes to the Saints. They definitely should be ranked right up there on top either way. Brees has a lot more to do with the Saints ariel attack because of his immaculate accuracy but how does a team find gold like they did with Colston in the 7th round and not be in the talks. The Saints have a great great WR corps for today's NFL. They're definitely super!