What did Shaub see?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Meloy, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

What convinced him that he would not get Carr-atomized? Was he simply smacking his lips at showing what he could do as a starter? Did he get info that made him believe that the Oline was going to stabilize with Black/ Spencer? Was he not concerned that we have no #2 WR (Walters? yeah right) Was he told a WR will be coming from draft? Was it take the $ and worry about the bruises later? Momma will love you know matter what those defensive bruisers do to her boy.

2. 281

281 Hall of Fame

too bad T.O.'s ex-publicist isn't Matt Schaub's current one...

"HE HAS 48 MILLION REASONS TO BE A HOUSTON TEXAN, THANK YOU"

3. 281

281 Hall of Fame

...in all honesty though, he could just look at the game tape, and see that about 1/5 of those sacks were self-inflicted.

4. Spike

Spike Veteran

Hopefully, he didn't care about the OL or WR...and not because of the money. If this guy is a competitor, he should want to go anywhere where has a chance to play now. If he were to stay in Atlanta, he would have started the year as the back-up and may not have seen the field for another season.

5. Meloy

Meloy Hall of Fame

20% of 250 sacks=50. 250-50= 200 divided by 5 years= 40 sacks per year not self inflicted. Less ouch but still quite of bit and that is if Shaub causes no sacks.

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

he saw gary kubiak and mike sherman, plain & simple. individually they're "masterminds" and together they're very similar to atlanta's attempted scheme under mora. after that he saw a team on the upswing who spent 2 draft picks last year on offensive tackles, a former probowl center (who texans fans know struggled mightily) signed last year and another signing this year as swing tackle or potential guard. also, he saw andre johnson, who almost single handedly is better than the entire falcons offense if given someone to throw him the ball more than 3 yards down the field. he saw a rookie that if he were targeted a whole season was going to be the best (statistical) tight end in the league. he saw young genius in lil shanahan as his personal tutor.

there are more reasons to quarterback for the texans than there are against. the only real scary part is carr's failures, but that's rooted in what happened 5 years ago. a relatively complete team without one part gives a quarterback an "i can be that guy" mentality. IMO it's similar to sean payton taking over for the saints ... fix one or two parts and the possibility for major returns can make a career in one or two seasons.

7. Please_Evolve

Please_Evolve Veteran

I have a feeling Kubiak sold him on it during the golf game. But helps that Reliant's Facilities are top notch in the NFL, a young team to grow with, a young headcoach that is willing to take a risk on you, the chance to start in state where football is a second religion, and i think the direction the yare looking to take.

I also think it helped that he'd be going to a similar system he was learning in ATL and had played in under Al Groh.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think that people who play this game, at this level are able to look at the Texans sack numbers and see them for what they are.

I imagine that he was told that the Texans are entering their second year in this system, expect to get much better this year, and that we suffered a number of injuries to our offensive line last year (which is true).

I also believe he was probably told that the Texans hope to get Spencer back and that Winston got much needed experience last year (also true).

I bet they told him that we did rather well over the last quarter of the season once the team got the offense down and the running game emerged (true again).

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Texans address the #2 WR spot in the draft. I also think that none of us really know whether Walters is capable of being a competent #2 since last year he got a mere handful of looks. I'm not sure what he did that made you guys think he couldn't step up. All I saw him do on the rare occaision that he got a look and a ball thrown his way was catch it and collect his first down.

We didn't know what Gaffney could do until he went somewhere else. We thought Eric Moulds was going to be a kick-butt #2 until he got here and stopped getting thrown to or even looked at. For all any of us know we have the next great WR tandem in Johnson and Walters.

I think he saw an opportunity to start on a team that was so focused on getting better that they were willing to look like fools and face the mistakes that had been made before. I think he must have thought that this franchise was on the ascent and he wanted to be a part of it.

I also think 48 million dollars doesn't hurt.

Arky likes this.
  9. 281

281 Hall of Fame

true... and i'm not gonna lie, that o-line was totally horrible the first two years, especially year one. remember ryan schau? cameron spikes? yeah, thought so... schaub's never gonna have to yell at these scrubs after getting sacked... he's going to be treated way better than carr ever was, that's for sure.

10. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Hall of Fame

20% of 43 = 8.6. 43 - 8 = 35. 35 = tied for 17th in the league. Low average. And that's if our line and RB's don't improve.

We were tied for 23rd this year.

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Starting at right tackle..... Jimmy Herndon.

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Ok, lets throw 2002 out of the equation because it's a grossly distorted number. Between David Carr being a rookie and having the worst bunch of scrubs to take the field since Cleveland got their team back it totally skews the numbers.

250 minus 76 is 174
    174 less 20% is 139
    139 divided by 4 is 35

Still not a great number I admit but a number of quarterbacks are effective with 35 sacks in a season.

13. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

If the OL averaged about 2 sacks a game I would say thats a massive improvement.

14. 281

281 Hall of Fame

HAHAHAHA

maaan, that was the other name i was looking for! i had totally forgotten it!

this was back when our other marquee player on the line behind the uber-productive boselli was RYAN YOUNG... *shiver*

15. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i'm not arguing any actual point here. herv i'd throw 03 out if you're being selective since it's the one year out of the norm. take it out and we average 48 sacks a season (if i'm looking at the right numbers) with your 20%. again, no point implied, just stating.

16. texans83

texans83 All Pro

he saw a oppertunity so he jumped on it. The same thing I would have dont if I was in his shoes.

17. kcwilson

kcwilson All Pro

Hopefully, the guy just is a COMPETITOR and wants to play.

18. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Right or wrong (we shall see), Shaub probably thinks that he is going to be a much better QB than Carr at making reads and getting the ball off before taking a sack. A quick three step drop and zip pass on a timing pattern works wonders for keeping defensive linemen from getting to a QB. The WCO is all about pre-snap adjustments and hitting 2nd/3rd/4th reads on timing patterns. This was never Carr's strengths.

19. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Maybe he realized that after sitting for 3 years, that there are only 32 starting QB positions. Since the Texans were interested in him as being a starter NOW and were going to pay starter money, well you get the point...

I pretty much would have seen what Schaub sees.

20. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

The average team last year allowed 36.3 sacks so 40 isn't that far off. And what did he have to lose? Atlanta allowed 47 sacks last year, the Texans 4 less (43).