What could we get for DD?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by David's Busted Carr, Apr 27, 2006.

1. David's Busted Carr

David's Busted Carr Veteran

Now that it looks like Reggie is s done deal, we should start exploring DD trades. I think it would be in the best interest of DD and the Texans to move him. He is still a starting caliber RB, but with Reggie he's demoted to the bench and he's making too much money for that. And Vernand Morency can fill the backup role just fine.

I've read on a few boards about a rumor of the Texans trying to trade him to the Jets for DT Dewayne Robertson. I'd do that in a heartbeat if I'm the Texans, and it makes sense for the Jets to replace Curtis Martin. But if that doesn't work out, what else should we go after? Another draft pick? Perhaps a 2nd or 3rd rounder?

2. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

If hes is traded, I want either a pick or a starting caliber DB or OL. He has value and may be sought after. The pick would be mid 3rd early 4th.

3. Texas_Thrill

Texas_Thrill Hall of Fame

Don't think that DD is going anywhere. Morency is unproven and nobody is sure if or what Bush's role will be as of yet.

I'm not going to assume he's the starting back. Remember he still needs to learn how to BLOCK in the NFL. No small task and since we saw how WELL :rolleyes: DD did at it...I'm certainly not ready to just hand RB the starting role.

I'm not sure also the salary cap implications of moving DD. I still find it crazy that our backfield (both whom will be part-time now) is valued at 70 million plus. :brickwall

4. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I beleive we will keep DD because in Denver kubiak with multiple "starting" rb's...I think we will run splitback and use RB in the slot to cause mis-matches...However if we were to trade DD i'd like to get a starting Safety to compete with who we have...

5. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

There is no way I want to trade DD. A two back set, with Reggie and DD sounds great to me. I am sure most of the time they will rotate in and out with a FB in there, but the possibilities our mind blowing.

Kubiak systems = 2 running backs (A La Denver Broncos)
    I look for Morency to fill in if one of these guys miss any time, probably not getting as many touches as who they are filling in for.

DD will not be "benched", look for him and Reggie to share the load. DD will not have to do it all by himself and therefore he will not get beat up and injured as much. I think it is going to work out great. Bush will probably run it 10-15 times and maybe a reception or two, maybe even throw in some PR's, who knows. DD will probably tote it around 15 times, with another touch or two.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Denver has never had any such thing.....

Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Reuban Droughns, and Tatum Bell........ none of those guys were starters, until Denver made them starters.... If those guys hadn't gone to Denver, they more than likely wouldn't have been starters.

As soon as they felt like they had two starting running backs, one was shown the exit sign.

Nobody drafts a starting Running Back in the 4th round or later.

7. BREAZE

BREAZE Veteran

Why? We just extended his contract. If we are not going to trade Carr then its safe to say we won't be trading DD. He is a different back from Bush and Bush won't be playing RB the whole game. The variation in RB styles will keep opposing defenses guessing...

8. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

The quotation marks around "starting" means that on the DENVER squad they were starters...Tatum Bell and Reuben Drougns shared time on the field...DD would not have been a starter for any other team being drafted when he did either...

9. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

DD has always been an average to slightly better then average running back due to his inability to stay healthy. In a trade, I think we would get a similar type player or possibly a third round pick.

Personally, I hope we keep him. Reggie hasn't proven to be a work horse yet and maybe injury prone as well. I just think it’s a little early for the conversation. Also, DD’s best trade value will come during the middle to late part of the season, when another team has injury problems.

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Let's see..... we have a running back who came in off the bench, and managed to be ranked 19th in the NFL his rookie season, missing 2 games. He came back in 2004, raised his NFL ranking amoung NFL running backs to 15th, and rushing for more than 1000 yards, 1788 all purpose yards, and 14 NFL touchdowns against NFL defenses. His third year, he ranks 9th of all NFL running backs, missing 5 games... 1313 all purpose yards, 5 TDs on a team with no passing game, that went 2-14. In those three seasons, he played as well as, if not better than Tiki Barber, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, Priest Holmes, Jamal Lewis, Warrick Dunn, and Edgerin James did their first three seasons.... and he played in as many games as all of those "injury proned" runningbacks.

Oh, forgot.... he played 2 games less than Ladanian Tomlinson did his rookie year. DD avg 4.3 yards a carry, and 7.5 yards/reception, compared to LT's 3.6 ypc, and 6.2 yards/reception. 14 TDs for DD, 15 for LT. LT's longest run was 54 yards, and he had 7 carries longer than 20 yards. DD's longest was 51 yards, and he had 5 carries for more than 20 yards(remember, he played 2 games less than LT).

And, LT played on a better team than DD did.

'sides, I like Beenie Weenies...........

11. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Great post!

12. dwilt72

dwilt72 Veteran

Most teams are become two back systems. Besides, Reggie is a tremendous receiver and I can see him and DD on the field a lot together. Put Reggie in the slot, line them up together, send him in motion, etc. I think both backs will get the ball and I think they will both have a nice year.

13. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Oh yes they do!!! :yahoo:

Signed,

Domanick Davis.

14. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

I don't think he goes anywhere. At least not this upcoming season. Remember that the Seahawks couldn't even get a third round pick for Shaun Alexander a couple seasons ago.

15. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

I think we also need to consider if Bush being there also allows us to use Domanick Davis more on special teams like he was originally drafted for. We have quite a few returners last year but none of them did as good a job as Davis did returning punts.

16. Texas

Texas Hall of Fame

I doubt we will do it but if we used Reggie Bush on punt returns the open field would give him opportunity

17. Frills

Frills Veteran

DD should not be traded at all.

RBBC will help him stay off the trainer's table, and keep both fresh. The days of having a stud RB and riding him the whole season are pretty much over except for a few elite RB's.

18. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

DD could go for at best a 4th. Maybe not even a high one at that.

19. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I don't see the Texans trading DD for at least a year. Even with Bush, DD is going to get a lot of playing time and can still be of value to the offense.

20. Long-Spurs-Texan

Long-Spurs-Texan Veteran

Why would we trade our between the tackles, workhorse (when healthy)back? Just because we are drafting a change of pace back doesn't mean we get rid of our grinder. A big reason RB was so good was USC had NFL talent at almost every position. Lendale wore them down, & Bush finished them.