What about Tyrod Taylor at QB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by brad77, Feb 12, 2017.

1. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Link

Link

His shortcomings are well documented and are not difficult to see when you watch him. He's in the Osweiler category as a passer, but maybe only slightly ahead. This argument that the Bills scored 24 points a game is laughable. Did you not watch the Bills? First off, they let opponents score 28 or more on them 7 times. When the Patriots are up 41-17, they let the Bills run down the field and that's what they do, they run the ball. The Bills threw the ball the least in 2016 and ran it the second most behind only the Cowboys. Their yards per rush was best in the league at 5.3 yards. They have an excellent starter and an excellent backup at RB. Tyrod Taylor is not helping them score 24 points a game, if anything he hindered that offense.

OB wouldn't have to change his offense for Tyrod Taylor. He'd miss open guys almost, if not as often as Osweiler. It doesn't matter what scheme you run if the QB is missing open receivers all the time.

Interesting tidbit at the end where the Bills' writer says that the QB position has been largely ignored in the draft for far too long. The Bills drafted a QB in the 1st round, EJ Manuel, in 2013. They took Cardale Jones in the 4th round in 2016.

Compare that to the Texans, who took Savage in the 4th round in 2014 and before that the last time they had taken a QB was Alex Brink in the 7th round in 2008. If Bills' fans and writers are saying that the Bills have ignored the QB position in the draft too long, what do you say about the Texans? Complete and utter failure? And you still have fans on here listing all the 1st round QBs and saying "well, who would you draft???" As if the 1st round is the only round that QBs are eligible to be drafted and that this trend is somehow defensible.

2. TripleTap

TripleTap Dead Wood

There are some coaches who let the Offensive Coordinator run the offense. On the other hand, as you suggest, OBrien is a megalomaniac and not likely one of those coaches, alas. So I guess the idea was that an OC might have helped adapting the O to the talent?

Max likes this.
  3. bigmck

bigmck Veteran

It will take an established veteran with something still in the tank to get rid of the OS smell. If Romo is cut, the Texans better grab him.

4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

He's likely the odd man out if they bring in another quarterback and who knows what that guy will make .... but Weeden's contract for the coming season is $5m , with no dead money if they cut him and I just cant see them carrying 4 QB's.

5. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Weeden's contract, according to Spotrac, has him at $1.625mil, with no dead money, for 2017.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

They must have updated it , last week I looked it up and it said $5m .... no dead money.

7. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I can't get over the post season question and answer session when a reporter mentioned going into the off season with Osweiler and Savage at QB and OB interrupted him and made a point of saying that Weeden was one of the Texan QB's.

I don't see us going into the season with four QB's, but it is possible we go into training camp with four.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I would assume that the date Weeden's contract becomes guaranteed (if at all) would play a part in that .... Hell , maybe its Savage that's the odd man out but I cant see it being Asswiper , just too damn much money .... then again , if they cut him this year and don't designate him a June first cut he'll account for $25m in dead money THIS SEASON and nothing beyond.

9. Texansphan

Texansphan All Pro

If the Texans go out after another vet, they will make sure of it next time with someone they know is good.
    It just depends on how determined they are.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

1st week of the season vets with 4 years get their full salary guaranteed.

powda and TexansSeminole like this.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

With the Cowboys, Weeden appeared to play scared, scared to make a mistake, when he was expected to stay firmly within a system. In the limited appearance with the Texans, not having had much experience with the system, he was basically allowed to a stay within a simplified plink and plunk comfort zone. Had he been allowed to stay with this simple approach for any more games, his game would have quickly been figured out and easily countered. Throughout his career before his limited 1 1/2 games with the Texans (2012-2015 with the Browns and Cowboys), he was a turnover machine.......28 TDs : 33 TOs [30 INTs, 3 lost fumbles]. Furthermore, let's remember that the 2 games he played/won for us were against the Luckless and defenseless Colts followed by the pitiful defenseless Titans......not exactly a real confidence-builder for the future.

12. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

You mean Sept 7, not March 9, right?

13. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Yes 1st week of the season not start of the league year.

It's the reason you'll see vets cut before the 1st game and then re-signed before the 2nd.

14. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

IMO, the Texans maxed the record you have with the worst QBing the league. I think (pure speculation) that average QB maybe gets them 10-6 with better looking wins, but in the end no better overall result...good Tyrod Taylor probably is about the same as Alex Smith, and tops a team out about the same.

In short, a slightly better chance than now, but probably still short of where we ultimately want to go.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think a bit more highly of Alex Smith than just average .... he might not carry a team but he sure isn't going to hurt them very often and puts them in position to win more often than not.

As to your overall point , maxing out the results with the worlds worst quarterback , hell they exceeded those expectations if you ask me .... how often do you expect the team with the leagues worst signal caller , the most important position in sports to get to the playoffs much less advance.

If we give them average play at quarterback maybe they have home field against the Pats .... throw in average play in that game instead of rotten , the odds just went way up.

Its hard as hell to win it all with poor or mediocre quarterbacks but its been done a few times .... McMahon , Dilfer , Hostetler come to mind.

The cream always rises to the top , damnit we need a quarterback.

16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

This is why I don't think BOB is a bad HC.

But he screwed the pooch on his shots at fixing the QB problem. Fitz/Hoyer/Mallett. I think Os was forced on him by Bob/Cal/Ricky McNair.

17. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

So OB let's RAC design, install and run the defense. But he is a megalomaniac because he wants to design, install and run the offense.

18. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 All Pro

Exactly... Some people are acting as if Taylor is a 15 year veteran. Dude is still very young and is pretty darn good. We will have to cut Brock to make this happen.

I never understood it when fans come on these sports blogs, saying I would do it for the right price. But never put up a price. What in the world is the right price for Tyrod Taylor type quarterback? Lol

19. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 All Pro

And it could be yes. There's too many valuables equated in this to just say no.

20. TripleTap

TripleTap Dead Wood

OK, he's just stubborn about his hugely ineffective offense. That better for you?