What about Tyrod Taylor at QB

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by brad77, Feb 12, 2017.

1. TxnsJuggernaut

TxnsJuggernaut All Pro

We will just agree to disagree.

Sometimes being a good leader means knowing the pieces you have to work with and trying to make things work based on that. If after trying and you fail then you at least know what needs to happen going forward.

2. False Start

False Start On # 69

I know its the offseason, and all we have to do is speculate, but the Texans are not going to bring in another established QB. It's going to be Asswater, Savage, and whoever they draft at QB next year. It sucks, and I hate it, but it is what it is. :rake:

Max and steelbtexan like this.
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Taylor just underwent what the team reported was "core" injury surgery........translated "sports hernia" surgery. His dual threat could be significantly lessened.......and you need a healthy "core" in order pass hard and long. How his rehab goes, goes his immediate future.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

The question to ask is Tyrod Taylor good enough to win two more regular season games and/or beat the Steelers and Patriots probably on the road?

texan279 likes this.
  5. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

And the answer is no lol...

6. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

He did know what he had to work with.

A great defense and a crap QB.

How do you win with that combo? Run the ball and let the defense win games for you. What happens when you deviate from this formula? Foxboro happens

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

^^^^
    This

And the annual 6% ticket hike, with no chance at competing for a SB again. Then you can expect another 6% hike in 2018 and another 6% hike in 2019 when they finally have a chance to win a SB if they finally get the QB thing right.

8. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I think if you were to ask Sammy Watkins, in private, if he enjoyed playing with Taylor, he'd tell you "hell no." I watched Watkins get open time and time again only to not even be looked at by Taylor and Watkins is by far their best playmaker at receiver. Taylor often disregards an entire side of the field and holds the ball entirely too long in the process. It's difficult to watch. I felt bad for Sammy Watkins, honestly. That guy deserves better. There's a reason the Bills aren't jumping up and down about having him in their building.

He's better than Brock Osweiler, but he's not going to take a team anywhere of significance. I get that we just don't want to see Brock anymore, but I vote atleast taking a shot on someone who may develop into something special. Let's stop hoping a guy like Fitz, Hoyer, Weeden, Taylor, etc can actually accomplish something of importance here.

We are going to have 2 of the 3 current QBs on the roster this year. That leaves room for one addition and it better be a damn rookie.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Well .... AssWiper was pretty damn bad .... if his replacement could just be Not Bad , simply something approaching average ..... that would be a massive improvement over the worst starting quarterback in the league.

Is Average Vs the Worst in the NFL worth 1-2 games or a playoff road win ??? I don't know ....

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dunno about that .... Weeden is as good as gone , he costs $5m to keep but no dead money to cut.

Brock ... We are stuck with.

Savage I could see it going either way , so many scenarios ....

1) They draft a QB early with the intention of him taking over sooner than later , Savage is gone.

2) They draft one later , 4-6th round Savage sticks around as the backup .... unless they are really confident in that rookie.

3) They pick up a Vet to play ahead of AssWiper - Savage is probably gone

4) They draft one and sign a vet .... Bye Bye Savage. , AssWiper and his albatross of a contract wont be getting cut.

JB likes this.

11. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    I think they'll keep Savage. No real reason to cut him unless you have a chance to add a vet after you've drafted a young QB

TexansSeminole likes this.
  12. TripleTap

TripleTap Dead Wood

Let's be a little bit serious. Bill OBrien & Co are not likely to do anything interesting at the QB in this off season. BO'B doesn't have the imagination to do anything interesting even if Tyrod were available and even moderately interesting himself. OBrien is going to stick to his glum offense no matter what and live or die with it, as are we. That means OZ, Savage and a rookie. Period. End of discussion. Anybody else brought in and OBrien would have to alter the offense. Not only does he not want to, odds are that he is not capable of changing it. This is why some of us were hoping that the Powers That Be might insist that we get a real OC this off season.

santo and TxnsJuggernaut like this.
  13. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

And how would a "real" OC change who OB decides to have on the roster? Or what offense to run? Why would he have to alter his system just because a new OC was brought in? Or is this the whole McNair will hire an OC and force OB to change his system fantasy?

14. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This has been a very apparent flaw in his game. Last year alone, Taylor was 29th in the League in being sacked.....46 total translating to ~3 sacks per game.

15. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

The problem I have with this is that we haven't seen Weeden on the field in a Texans' uniform, except for the two games in 2015, both of which he won.

The organization made a huge financial investment in Osweiler and he was the starter from day one. Period.

If Weeden goes into training camp, I believe this year will be a true competition.

The Texans need to find their future QB, but we still have the short term problem of finding an interim QB, certainly for 2017 and maybe 2018. Everyone writes off Weeden, but I believe he has the potential to fill this need as well as anyone else who is available.

ROO likes this.
  16. jradMIT

jradMIT Hall of Fame

I think even within a certain scheme there are derivations that can be done to maximize a Qb's strength and minimize his weaknesses. I think OB has it in his mind the kind of QB he wants, which seems to be a narrower criteria than some others. He would rather stick to the plan than improvise with a different type of guy. As opposed to Kubiak who seemed to not have a set criteria for QB. I don't think its necessarily bad, but when you don't have many options it might be prudent to be more flexible.

17. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Fair point. I just don't think that he would have brought anyone in who would not have worked within his system, flexible or not. TT has started more than one thread about his distain for OB's offense, but it is silly to think/hope that McNair was going to force an OC/system on OB.

18. TxnsJuggernaut

TxnsJuggernaut All Pro

I really don't care who starts as long as the Qb's all compete for the job as starter. If that happens I am all for whoever wins. I would hope that O'b would not deviate from what he wants to do if he indeed was calling offenses the way he was due to not having a Qb he trusted.

I do feel that Os is much better than what we saw last season but that's just me.

19. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

This thought has crossed my mind as regards Weeden. Was Weeden a Rick Smith signing and did OB approve of the signing? Of course, after signing Osweiler, the starter was set. As a Weeden supporter, my question is: just where does Weeden fit into OB's thought processes going into this off season.

Texanmike02 likes this.
  20. TxnsJuggernaut

TxnsJuggernaut All Pro

Exactly