West Coast Offense?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kbourda, Jan 31, 2006.

1. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

Did Coach Kubiak come out and say that this would be the offense the Texans would be running? Or will it be a hybrid off of it? Because I know that Shanahan ran various variations off of the West Coast principle. I'm curious to know. I've always loved that offense.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I don't remember Kubiak saying WCO specifically, but you can bet it will be very similar to what he ran in Denver. More timing routes than before. More receivers release into the pattern. We'll see more bootlegs. More playaction. And we'll see even more of a commitment to the zone blocking concept.

3. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

all i remember him saying is we will turn david loose and do some play actions....wow...play action...that will be nice

4. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

...and a TE who is an integral part of the passing attack.

I was just looking at Denver's rushing stats for this season and Anderson, Dayne, and Bell had 2200 yards between them.

A guy like Vernand Morency has a chance to become more than just another backup RB in this offense. Everything keys off a successful running game in their (our) attack but it's not 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

5. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

I hope to see a pass-catching TE become more integral, but with or without a TE, you can bet our offense is going to look a lot less predictable. Rivers showed signs of becoming a good pass-catcher, toward the end of the year, IMO.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

With some extra PT Morency might not slip as much either - there won't be moss growing under his shoes as he waits game after game to get a chance to play. :)

7. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I like a good play action game myself, but Carr is utterly horrible at it. He has improved ever so slightly, but Kubiak and Calhoun really need to stress this, and have him really sell the fake. Manning is one of the best at it, they should have him watch film of him, and some of the others really good ones. That is, if he isn't too busy having a picnic basket in the park, or playing golf. :stirpot:

8. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

manning showing the ball and the threat of edge is why it works so well with indy. im not hating on DD, really, but hes not into that class of james. also the stretch play where manning has to run is where they do that PA alot of the times.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Oh you crusty curmudgeon forever pulling on my Carr-strings.

Yes he needs to work on play action. Ths is the type of play that actually does warrant constant repetition. It amazes me that we did not see more of it in the last three years when we had a running game that supported it.

10. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

carr would be hit before he could sprint out and hand the ball off...well maybe not to the left...but to the right?? it would have no shot

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Ahh yes, #9 in the Carr lover's excuse manual. :)

12. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

Wait....Stop.....this started out as a good thread. How did it turn into a Carr hating thread?!:challenge

I am looking forward to this upcoming season. I have thought that this offense was suited for the west coast, now we will see.

I will say we win 10 games next year. Anyone with me?:redtowel:

13. kbourda

kbourda Hall of Fame

I hope you're right.

14. Bronco Texan

Bronco Texan Veteran

Actually Jake Plummer is one of the better Play Action/Boot leg QBs in the league. I wonder if there is a rule about bringing Jake in for a week during the off season to go over some things with Carr. Well atleast I know Jake is the BEST boot leg QB.

15. That is a good point that was brought up during his very 1st training camp, he has gotten better however. If you've followed Plummer you can see he was changed, he now has pretty good deception on the fake.

16. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

I agree in that Carr;s fake is terrible, but that is a very minor part of the play-fake, the way the line and receivers sell the fake is way more important, remeber, the defense ussualy cant see the QB very well to start with because the linemen blocking the view...

17. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

i have a feeling vince young could be pretty good at that.

bigcarlos likes this.
  18. bigcarlos

bigcarlos Veteran

[​IMG]
    :superman:

19. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

20. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

:superman: I just like the icon.