Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Well, the GM search is on!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Jun 7, 2019.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

FA/Draft is done

Cal can wait as long as needed.

Texas Jake likes this.
  2. maverick512000

maverick512000 Hall of Fame

My understanding is they can’t block a promotion if it is a true promotion but if it is a lateral move without the normal power of a GM, for example the power Belichick has in NE, then they can.

So if Easterby or O’Brien are going to be the ones with the real power then NE can stop it. Not sure if this is true but it’s my understanding.

Insideop likes this.
  3. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

They don't sit around and judge "real" power. If he is offered GM he can move.

Insideop likes this.
  4. amazing80

amazing80 Powda is so big it hurts!

That’s not correct. He has to actually function as the GM not just have the title. It’s been posted numerous times already with a direct quote

5. maverick512000

Stealing this from Amazing80

The relevant league policy requires that, in order to hire an executive under contract with another team, the new team must offer “the primary authority over all personnel decisions related to the signing of free agents, the selection of players in the College Draft, trades, and related decisions; and . . . the primary responsibility for coordinating other football activities with the head coach.”

Although “[f]inal authority regarding the composition of the 53-player roster is not a requirement,” the job nevertheless must convey primary authority to the G.M. If it doesn’t, request for permission to interview an executive under contract with another team can be denied.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...the-top-choice-to-become-the-next-texans-g-m/

So yes the do sit around and judge real power.

steelbtexan likes this.
  6. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

So, who is the "they" that "sit around and judge real power?" And, how long does it take for them to make a decision? I assume the "they" is the League Office with Goodell having final say but I don't know that for a fact. If this is the case, it could be one of those things that drags on and on for months while they look over documents with the lawyers before they come to any decision. I don't think the Texans want to wait that long to interview a new GM candidate.

To me it should be a cut and dry decision. Are the Texans offering a GM position with all the decision making power of a normal NFL GM over player personnel? If the answer is yes, and I believe it is, then they should have the right to interview Caserio.

thunderkyss and CWTexansFan like this.
  7. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

They can if it's not a promotion - if it's a lateral move. This will have to be their argument. It will be up to league offices to make a decision whether the offer is per league rules. Hopeful this will move fast.

8. maverick512000

I really don't know, if you had asked me before I read that article I would have agreed with you and Cak that they can't stop it but apparently they can at least slow it down. If it was a case that it is a normal GM position you would be right that it is cut and dry but that's what the Texans have to prove and no one knows what BoB's contract says. If there are powers already ceded to BoB in his contract that a GM would have then yeah they could stop it. That's why the article says this is a chance to partly find out how much power BoB actually has.

On top of that if the other reports are real that they are planning a trifecta of power with it all shared between Easterby/BoB/the new GM then that could be used to stop it as well. Same if another report of Easterby being over the new GM is true. Basically long story short the Texans may have shot themselves in the foot by either trying to make BoB the next Belichick power wise or getting to cute with their power structure.

CWTexansFan and Insideop like this.
  9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Report: Texans request to interview Nick Caserio for general manager job
    The Patriots experienced a mass exodus on the coaching staff this offseason, losing Brian Flores, Chad O’Shea, Josh Boyer, Brendan Daly, Jerry Schuplinski and Jack Easterby to other NFL jobs.

If the Texans get their way, Nick Caserio could be added to the list.

The Texans formally requested to interview Caserio for their vacant general manager position, according to John McClain of The Houston Chronicle.

Houston unexpectedly fired GM Brian Gaine last week, and the franchise appears intent on bringing another Patriots staff member aboard. Caserio is the top choice to replace Gaine, per McClain.

Former Pats offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien has been the head coach in Houston since 2014. He’s guided the club to four winning seasons and three playoff appearances in that span. The Texans have gone just 1-3 in the postseason under O’Brien, however. Their impressive 11-5 campaign last season ended with a disappointing 21-7 loss to the Colts in the wild card round.

Earlier this offseason, the Texans hired former Patriots character coach Easterby as the executive vice president of team development. Easterby has close ties to many prominent executives in the Patriots organization.

Caserio, 43, has been a coveted general manager candidate for years. As director of player personnel with the Patriots, Caserio takes on innumerable responsibilities. He teams with Bill Belichick to make critical roster decisions each year.

“I can’t imagine any personnel person in the league that sees more players than he does both in the spring scouting process part of it for the draft and then just watching tape on players throughout the course of the year,” Belichick said in 2017. “He does a great job of that, bringing players to the table, to the conversation, guys that would help our team or guys that might be available that we could trade for.”
    Caserio, who played quarterback at Division 3 John Carroll University in Ohio, also is a frequent participant in Patriots practices. He’ll serve any role necessary on the field, from working as an extra quarterback to running routes against the defense.
    https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/0...terview-nick-caserio-for-general-manager-job/

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

God'ells NFL

CWTexansFan likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watching players that come available for trade, would be a new way of doing business. (DT not withstanding) Also watching more college players for the draft than anybody is the kinda guy I've been wanting as GM for yrs. Hopefully he's an aggressive in the GM role. He seems to have this type of personality.

Caserio will be the new GM if BOB doesn't have the power that some on this MB seem to think he has, or if BOB is willing to cede some of his power (If he has the power some here think he has) then a new trifecta of young sharp leadership that we have wanted for so long down on Kirby will be formed. I think this is going to happen, or Easterby wouldn't have set this process in motion to begin with. Belichick (Rightfully) wants to hold on to his right hand man.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    CWTexansFan and beerlover like this.
  12. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Comparing Caserio vs Gaine 2019 drafts only difference I see are Texans having two 2nds and Patriots three 3rds. Honestly, Gaine drafted players line up with Need better, and these same players could have easily worked just as well in New England.

Patriots biggest need, TE, wasn’t addressed at all in the draft. Could see their 1st rd pick N’keal Harry being a factor, he’s a big physical WR who I really liked but he is still not a TE. Texans drafted a TE who fit exactly what the Patriots look for in the 3rd rd. (Which might help really understand that pick, if your like me) Kahale Warring with 86th selection right in front of the Patriots 87. Go figure odds on that, lol

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

God'ells NFL

14. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Pats biggest need was not at TE. That's the fake news ESPN talking. Just because they lost a HOF TE doesn't mean all of a sudden they're in dire needs for a TE. They have vets that can fill in just fine. The Pats played without Gronk practically half the time while his career existed because he was always injured. They won a SB with him out for the 2nd half of the season. This constant talk about the Pats and their TE disaster is one of the most hilarious fake news stories I've seen in yrs.

Their biggest need was at WR by far. They had to win a SB throwing to one WR along with a hobbled Gronk. Now they got a guy that can make a lot of plays that Gronk made and that has a skillset that should fit very well in the NE offense. Most draft pundits looked at the Pats draft as top 5 around the NFL. Their first 4 positions were all of need.

Their last 2 to 3 drafts were terrible though. This year was the best draft the Pats have had in a long time. That's based on speculation as of now of course.

15. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

I want the guy from ATL or KC

16. Texecutioner

Cesario is honestly a big crap shoot to me, because player personal is such a big strongpoint of Belicheck's involvement in how he sees certain players skillsets fitting into his system and utilizing their strengths. Another thing that never gets mentioned is that Belicheck goes for players that are team captains thinking they will fall in line for the team goals more than other players will based on the laws of average. Will Nick follow all of these methods to the T? I don't know. He could be just another guy from the NE organization that doesn't look all that hot once he is out of NE. Hard to say honestly.

CWTexansFan and TheKDog like this.
  17. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Ben Watson who they let walk in his prime, now bring back after he couldn’t help New Orleans last year (injured) in playoffs, at 38 years and 16 of those in the NFL with no one to speak of backing him up is a huge need after Gronk retired. How is that fake news?

If that’s their best draft in a few years than call me skeptical :bubbles:

They really needed OL help and no way is Yodney Cajustie better than Howard or Hjalte Froholdt better than Scharping or their line improves more than Texans unless they get Trent Williams.

18. Texecutioner

Because how many teams have great pass catching TE's in the first place? Very few. Since when has NE "needed" high production there to be successful on offense? Never. They have always adjusted their offense to whatever strengths they had. Its total fake news based on that history alone, and the fact that Gronk wasn't highly productive at all last season. He was hurt for a lot of it and not nearly as effective. This has to be the only time in history I've ever seen the media place the entire draft importance on the TE position. Lol! Dumbest thing I've ever seen honestly.

Then clearly you aren't aware at all at what their last few drafts looked like and how few picks they had in some of them to begin with or who they drafted at what positions this year. They added a strong RB to an already strong running attack to pair with Michel. They got a 6'4 CB to add to a pretty deep secondary, a pass rusher with loads of potential in Winovich, and maybe the Best WR of the draft. But they didn't get a great pass catching TE? OMG. Lol!

19. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

Who excites y'all more - Cassario or Easterby?

20. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Are we supposed to be excited for Easterby?

santo and JB like this.