Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

"Well now we have to think.."

Imatexanfan

Hall of Fame
but how can Okoye and Mario let Lewis get over 125 yards rushing the guys like 60 years old. With OD and the fumble, the refs not calling that Anderson crossed over the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball that time, to STILL calling sweep plays to Dayne which looks so stupid when he has no speed at all...look hes a POWER BACK run him up the mid thats it nothing more. here how we look so far the contenders, from weakest to strongest relative to the Texans:

Kansas City - 1 game behind Texans, Texans have head-to-head tie-break
Baltimore - 1 game behind Texans, terrible conference record.
Denver - 1/2 game behind Texans, will play in Houston(good game).
Cleveland - 1 game ahead of Texans, will play in Cleveland(we just lost).
Buffalo - tied with Texans; we can't do anything about these guys, we just need them to lose (preferably to Jville this week, though)
Tennessee - 1.5 games ahead of Texans,will play in Tennessee.
San Diego - We want these guys to STOP losing. They have a tiebreak on us!
Jacksonville - 2 games ahead of Texans, will play in Houston(we gotta chance here).

(Indy, Pit and New England assumed to win divisions)

We have to get on top of either Tennessee or Jacksonville, period. If we do that, Buffalo comes down to earth and SD wins the AFC West, we'll be in. Everything else is in our control.:texflag:

Playing football like we did today, we'll be lucky to go .500. Our schedule isn't getting any easier.

Playing football like we did today, we'll be lucky to go .500. Our schedule isn't getting any easier.

Our QB played poorly today and it appears they have a very good OL- they beat us pretty badly.. I thought Travis Johnson and Mario looked solid on the line- everybody else regularly lost their battles.

The team is close to being good, but we just aren't there yet.

I don't see 8-8 now. I do see 7-9. The Texans have to learn how to quit beating themselves, they are their own worst enemy.

I don't see 8-8 now. I do see 7-9. The Texans have to learn how to quit beating themselves, they are their own worst enemy.

Agreed. One thing that would help would be to bench Owen Daniels. The tight end is a regular target of Schaub's, thus it would be good to have one that didn't drop the ball/fumble multiple times in one game. Also, a little defense would be nice. When the opposing team gets any sort of momentum, we get run over completely on defense. We more or less gave them 14 points today. This team could play good football, we just don't.

Agreed. One thing that would help would be to bench Owen Daniels. The tight end is a regular target of Schaub's, thus it would be good to have one that didn't drop the ball/fumble multiple times in one game. Also, a little defense would be nice. When the opposing team gets any sort of momentum, we get run over completely on defense. We more or less gave them 14 points today. This team could play good football, we just don't.

What IS it with Daniels? Isn't this like 3-4 games in a row he's put the ball on the ground? If he was a RB, he'd be sent home or at least riding the pine.

What IS it with Daniels? Isn't this like 3-4 games in a row he's put the ball on the ground? If he was a RB, he'd be sent home or at least riding the pine.

Indeed. He averages 1 fumble for every 13 receptions. When you throw in the dropped passes (anyone have a stat on this?), he proves to be too unreliable. Anyone else on the bench Daniels bandwagon?

I think the defense's problem (generally, not always) has to do with the fact that when the offense loses momentum, they tend to trap themselves in quicksand (OD fumble. Schaub's sack, INT). It seems as though our team has the ability to overcome 1, possibly 2 mistakes a game...but any more than that and it falls apart. This is probably because our defense gets stuck out there for a while and gets tired. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the line plays very aggressively, and if the offense is ahead, their aggressiveness tends to set up the run pretty well, which in turn wears them out.

I think OD just needs a good old fashioned Tom Coughlin lesson in holding onto the ball. Anyone remember when Tiki "I'm Smarter Than You" Barber had problems? Not anymore, because the coach he hated fixed all of that.

The Titans game this year gave us a flash of what we'll see in the next few years. We'll be able to overcome deficits...we're just missing two or three pieces (RB, maybe an OL or two) on offense, and 3 or 4 on defense (Compliment safety to Hutchins, if we leave him there next season, DE opposite Mario and LB) and we should be set. Knowing Kubiak and Smith, I would expect it to be no more than 2 years to be all but set, and next year to need maybe 2 or three more pieces total.

I think the defense's problem (generally, not always) has to do with the fact that when the offense loses momentum, they tend to trap themselves in quicksand (OD fumble. Schaub's sack, INT). It seems as though our team has the ability to overcome 1, possibly 2 mistakes a game...but any more than that and it falls apart. This is probably because our defense gets stuck out there for a while and gets tired. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the line plays very aggressively, and if the offense is ahead, their aggressiveness tends to set up the run pretty well, which in turn wears them out.

That's a good point. It's hard for a defense to play well at all when the offense is losing the TOP battle so badly.

I think OD just needs a good old fashioned Tom Coughlin lesson in holding onto the ball. Anyone remember when Tiki "I'm Smarter Than You" Barber had problems? Not anymore, because the coach he hated fixed all of that.

I would rather he get the Kubiak treatment and just disappear from playing time for a little while.

I find it wild that the browns are 7-4 with the 32nd ranked defense

not really, they have a hot offense and a defense that does just enough. Remember how bad the Colts defense sucked all last year? All they did was win the Super Bowl. ...not to say the Browns will, but a mediocre defense matched with a high scoring offense (and a lot of luck) can result in a winning season.

not really, they have a hot offense and a defense that does just enough. Remember how bad the Colts defense sucked all last year? All they did was win the Super Bowl. ...not to say the Browns will, but a mediocre defense matched with a high scoring offense (and a lot of luck) can result in a winning season.

true, but browns defense hasn't even been mediocre this season (yards and points given up)
but their offense sure is clicking

I don't know which suprised me more, their defense or our lack of offense

true, but browns defense hasn't even been mediocre this season (yards and points given up)
but their offense sure is clicking

I don't know which suprised me more, their defense or our lack of offense

For me, it was our lack of offense.
And what the hell did they activate Walker for if he wasn't going to play?!?! That's the one thing about Kubiak that irritates me the most, he won't give the youngsters a chance. Even when the incumbent is mediocre or worse. Dayne (he'd be the "mediocre") and Petey Faggins (and he would be the "or worse") come immediately to mind. He didn't figure out what he had in Chris Taylor until the last damn game of the season last year. And he didn't sit Eric Moulds and give Walter a shot.

Flush this season and this team. We aren't anything like a playoff contender so please stop posting lists of where we rank in the "playoff picture."

We don't rank at all. We are losers losers losers with a capital L.

Schaub is a slightly improved David Carr who can't quite make the throws on target. He should be benched and traded ASAP. AJ -- Lord knows what has got into him. He looked like he wanted to be playing flag football out there today. The punter Turk should go. The D-line is a sieve. THe coaching sucked big time--no imagination, no surprise, no game.

And the dullest team in the league to boot.

I'm not kidding, McNair ought to revamp starting at the head coach and working all the way down. Let's hope and pray Kubiak really is in the market for the A&M job.

Flush this season and this team. We aren't anything like a playoff contender so please stop posting lists of where we rank in the "playoff picture."

We don't rank at all. We are losers losers losers with a capital L.

Schaub is a slightly improved David Carr who can't quite make the throws on target. He should be benched and traded ASAP. AJ -- Lord knows what has got into him. He looked like he wanted to be playing flag football out there today. The punter Turk should go. The D-line is a sieve. THe coaching sucked big time--no imagination, no surprise, no game.

And the dullest team in the league to boot.

I'm not kidding, McNair ought to revamp starting at the head coach and working all the way down. Let's hope and pray Kubiak really is in the market for the A&M job.

are you a troll?
you sound like one.

These boards really crack me up.
Last week Schaub was a hero and the coaches could do no wrong.

This week the Texans got beat by a good football team on the road. Yes. It is disappointing to see my team get ***** slapped like they did today.

The only thing that was proven is that the Texans are who we thought they were. A young football team with some serious holes.

This team is young and they are learning. They have not learned how to fight back when they get punched in the mouth. The team played some really uninspiring football today but things will get better.

Keep your heads up and quit panicking everytime they lose. I know it is hard to watch. I know it is easy to just give up and piss and moan about things.

I'm telling ya happy football days are coming to Houston. This organization is building the right way and good things will happen.

This week the Texans got beat by a good football team on the road. Yes. It is disappointing to see my team get ***** slapped like they did today.

I don't think the Browns are that good. I think the Texans just played bad. Browns aren't going anywhere in the playoffs but at least they will go.

The only thing that was proven is that the Texans are who we thought they were. A young football team with some serious holes.

This team is young and they are learning. They have not learned how to fight back when they get punched in the mouth. The team played some really uninspiring football today but things will get better.

I'm telling ya happy football days are coming to Houston. This organization is building the right way and good things will happen.

The Texans are in their 6th year of existance. Please stop acting like they are new. You can always use the started over with Kubiak excuse and not count the Capers years.

All we need to do is to convince the NFL to let us have every-other-week off.

We played well vs. Saints, and I think it was due to AJ and Schaub being fresh.

But today, those two guys looked like they were worn out by the end of the first quarter--AJ was dogging it BAD, and Schaub was slugging around on his scrambles like he had a cane or a walker with him. You have to wonder about the conditioning of this team: The injuries (we lead the league, IIRC, in players on I.R.) and the laziness that was exhibited today.

Why could the offense all of a sudden muster up that Owen Daniels TD drive out of nowhere? They looked like they did LAST week, but the rest of the game it was just like a bunch of goobers out there.

This team is consistently inconsistent.

I don't think the Browns are that good. I think the Texans just played bad. Browns aren't going anywhere in the playoffs but at least they will go.

The Texans are in their 6th year of existance. Please stop acting like they are new. You can always use the started over with Kubiak excuse and not count the Capers years.

Einstein no one said the Texans were a new team. So quit trying to extract something that was not stated in my post.

This is a young (as in players for those of you in Galena Park) football team. Yes. When Capers was fired, the clock gets restarted.

Bahh! I'm just wasting my time!

All we need to do is to convince the NFL to let us have every-other-week off.

We played well vs. Saints, and I think it was due to AJ and Schaub being fresh.

But today, those two guys looked like they were worn out by the end of the first quarter--AJ was dogging it BAD, and Schaub was slugging around on his scrambles like he had a cane or a walker with him. You have to wonder about the conditioning of this team: The injuries (we lead the league, IIRC, in players on I.R.) and the laziness that was exhibited today.

Why could the offense all of a sudden muster up that Owen Daniels TD drive out of nowhere? They looked like they did LAST week, but the rest of the game it was just like a bunch of goobers out there.

Now. You may have a point there. The conditioning angle has definitely crossed my mind a time or two

or

Could it be too much partying on the road?

Keep your heads up and quit panicking everytime they lose. I know it is hard to watch. I know it is easy to just give up and piss and moan about things.

Great post. I agree. I have never seen soo many "fans" change from week to week. You say the Texans are innconsistent, you my friends are the inconsistent ones. I cant believe the negativity here, maybe the other years I could understand but not this!

Now. You may have a point there. The conditioning angle has definitely crossed my mind a time or two

or

Could it be too much partying on the road?

Schaub and AJ looked very sluggish out there.

The Browns players were just all over the field, running laps around us.

We don't get the whole story--What if there were delays in the Texans travel, or what about illness, or perhaps they DID stay out late or something. Whatever it might be, there was something that made our team (especially our QB and our WR) seem to be playing half-speed all day.

Didn't look like the same team that wiped the grass with the Saints last week. I actually felt we would lose to the Saints and then go and beat the Browns...but it was flip-flopped. Weird stuff.

Great post. I agree. I have never seen soo many "fans" change from week to week. You say the Texans are innconsistent, you my friends are the inconsistent ones. I cant believe the negativity here, maybe the other years I could understand but not this!

I understand it.

Herv is a great fan. And so when I see HIM go ballistic like he just did...well, let's just say I take a pause and really stop and think about what he's saying.

You can't be so quick to dismiss a guy like Herv. It's easy to say that YOU are a superfan, that YOU would never abandon the team. But I would dare say that Herv has been on these boards since the boards began, and the guy has talked a lot more football than most people here.

He's been the cheerleader several times. He's been the unbiased critic at times. And I just think he's had it. I think he has bought into the hype for so long that a day like today really gets to him (due to his longevity around here). Can't fault him for being disenfranchised, IMO.

I'm a little ticked off today. Last week felt great, but I didn't really enjoy it much. Wanna' know why? Because of today. Because of knowing that we would probably be back down in the pit again (today). Because of what Herv said in his post: We're a team without an identity.

We can run pass routes (Yay!) but we don't look like a stealthy, strategic team who can outsmart and out-hustle the other team.

When I get to the point that Herv gets to, I just take a big long break from these boards. I take a vacation from it all. But when you lose faith in your head coach, there's not much you can do anymore...you're LOOKING for the head coach to get fired, or take that A&M job, etc. You WANT to make it into the Promised Land THAT badly. You envision Cowher being lured back by a big money to coach a Texans team that juuuuuuust needs a great coach to make it over the hump. You begin to play the "If only" or "Only if" game in your head.

So leave Herv alone, please. He cares about this team. Period. Just like you do. Just like I do.

Amen, you getting rep for that man.

Last week everyone was throwing parades and having dreams about the playoffs.

Rome wasn't built in a day. I don't think we are making the playoffs this year. I think we need to fight for 8-8 though.

Hey, At the beginning of this game we looked real good. Although we let it get away from us. I don't remember them running any to the house on special teams or the deep ball, which they DO to everyone. Lewis had a couple of good drives after the D was winded. The big disappointment was AJ, OD and Schaub but AJ just got back to playing full time. OD was playing with a broken nose and shaub made some nice throws that weren't caught. Dayne looked good early, but we should have switched to RB by commitee once they were up. I think almost any other team wouod concead after loosing as many players as we have. With the limited pool of legitimate NFL talent that we had to start with I think we're still moving in the right direction. I seriously doubt that even after this loss there is another team on our schedule that will look at our game as a bye, like they did pre-kubiak. With that being said, I had cool down for 5 hours or so before I could think clearly enough to write this.

The thing is they've been learning like 200 years now, sarcastly of course but man this past game presented a fine contrast between a truly great TE, Kellen Winslow, Jr., and an average/below average TE, Owen Daniels. One player showed the consistent ability to catch everything thrown his way and hang on to the ball no matter how hard he was hit, and the other didn't. :cowboy1:

I cracked up at the comment that Daniels is the best TE the Texans have ever had. Yes, that's true, but that's like being the highest skyscraper in Topeka. It's not like the bar has been set very high.:shades:

to me that just shows that we're young and growing. we have the ability to beat just about anybody when everyone does their job. as more and more guys do their job day in and day out we will become more consistent.

"you've got to admit it's getting better..."

go texans.

to me that just shows that we're young and growing. we have the ability to beat just about anybody when everyone does their job. as more and more guys do their job day in and day out we will become more consistent.

"you've got to admit it's getting better..."

go texans.

Tony Dungy turned thinsg around in Tampa Bay. He left his mark on them, and then Gruden came in and pretty much piggy-backed off the Tony Dungy era. Tony Dungy has done the same thing Indy but has actually been able to see it through and achieve a title there.

Great coaches simply get it done. The Bill Walsh's and the Bill Cowher's of the head coaching world just come in and get it done.

There is something to Gary Kubiak that's not there (currently). I think he MIGHT be on the verge of getting there, but I am not 100% sure he'll make it. The damage done by the previous coaching staff might make it impossible.

It's entirely possible that Gary will serve in the role of Tony Dungy back in Tampa Bay...leaving the Texans in a great place to make the next big step, but never being able to see it through to a title with us.

But at the rate we're going, I just don't see us getting over the hump in the next two years. A lot of stuff has to happen. A lot.

i'm trying to remember what state the colts were in when he took over there. seems like forever ago now.

I think they were already in Indiana.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

LOL! I knew that was coming when I read it yesterday. I'm surprised it took so long for a reply.

And a small hint of humor coming from Runner. Wow, tis the season to be jolly, I guess. :)

The thing is they've been learning like 200 years now, sarcastly of course but man this past game presented a fine contrast between a truly great TE, Kellen Winslow, Jr., and an average/below average TE, Owen Daniels. One player showed the consistent ability to catch everything thrown his way and hang on to the ball no matter how hard he was hit, and the other didn't. :cowboy1:

I cracked up at the comment that Daniels is the best TE the Texans have ever had. Yes, that's true, but that's like being the highest skyscraper in Topeka. It's not like the bar has been set very high.:shades:
Prior to this game the receptions between OD and Winslow was 11 per stats shown prior to game. The people I was watching the game with kept making sarcastic comments when announcer talked about how great Jr. is. Both are good players.

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the Texans fans. Most of them couldn't tell you who the starting Center is. I hate to say it but we have some horrible fans that don't realize that we are digging out of 4 years of bad coaching, bad drafting and bad luck..lol,,,i woudn't pay much attention to the message boards if I were you.

Back