Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansballer74, Mar 16, 2018.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

for me it's about roster numbers,cap space and who we can get this off season. For example we get two corners and two OTs first four selections. One CB--say Trayvon Mullen Clemson starts day one, another Julian Love Notre Dame battles Colvin. A free agent vet--Eric Rowe if healthy from groin (27 Oct ) or Brad Robey or even both would be interesting.

As I've said this is going to be very active summer if I'm reading things right. I feel Janice and Cal McNair will dedicate 2019 to Mr. McNair and open purse strings--hopefully for a new coaching staff.

2. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

glad I scrolled before posting, I agree 100%, not just stat wise 58 tackles one for loss and it was a TD, 2 INTs defending 13 passes successfully in 14 games and he's hard to get off field as is JJ. He is very cost effective at $4.3 cap a decrease of 1.2. Now if we can bring in a younger guy with same consistency to challenge him, I would love him as a backup. Every corner gets beat few have ability to shake it off and be up the very next play.

frethack likes this.
  3. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I don’t want JJ gone, but I want another younger guy being our #1 CB. Keep JJ for his final year as our 2nd or 3rd corner and as a mentor to whoever we draft.

4. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Meh, I would love to have someone better at the #1 CB position. Younger would just happen naturally. Kevin Johnson is younger. I don't want him. JJo is rated as the 12th best CB in the league by PFF. OK, you can quibble with that ranking, but honestly, not by a lot. Who do you want better that the team can get? The only path to upgrade is through the draft (remember Kevin Johnson, 1st rounder?) or by free agency/trade (remember Colvin, who was inactive for the playoffs?). It's easy to say you want an upgrade, but not easy to get one. And having the 12th best CB in your #1 spot is not the worst talent deficiency on this team by a long shot. So if you're going to spent capital on upgrading, don't you think it should upgrade the spots where the team has the bazillionth best player (looking at the OL)?

Not saying you shouldn't upgrade, and I said upthread I think one of the first two picks should be spent on CB, but there's no guarantee that draft pick turns into the next Jonathan Joseph, much less Ramsey or similar. Good chance it turns into the next Kevin Johnson.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Teams have been playing 3 safeties for a while. They were doing this under Wade too.

And the third safety doesn’t have as much to do with the corners as it does the LBs. Safeties match up better with TE’s.

You play a third safety rather than a corner because most safeties are better against the run than a corner and better against the pass than a LB.

That’s why 3 safeties are widely used.

Texas Jake, infantrycak and JB like this.
  6. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Busts come in any position. Remember Greg Robinson, a can’t miss Mauler that some on here wanted instead of Clowney or Mack im 2014? Taken 2nd overall by the Rams. You just can’t ignore a weakness on the team by saying, “oh well, our chances of landing a bust is higher than drafting the next Revis or Deion Sanders, might as well not draft a CB.”

CWTexansFan and thunderkyss like this.
  7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I agree with what you're saying. But to go into the draft saying you're going to use your first on an OT sets you up that much more to reach, settle, take a chance & thereby increase the probability of getting a bust. Or in O'Briens case, if he finds out the guy isn't who he thought he was, it's over. Dude won't get a chance to develop into the player he wants to be.

I want them to fix the OL, but if the guy they project to be there at 23 has quick feet, but short arms & built like a Guard, I'd rather they pass. Find a better prospect in the later rounds, find a better FA, or get better at utilizing a TE on the left side, or get a RB that's better at chipping. Or design more roll outs to the right.

stingray likes this.
  8. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Nevermind, I missread your post. I agree 100%

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

What things specifically are you reading Badboy to lead you believe this or or could it perhaps just be wishful thinking ?
    Yes with the death of the only owner and the founder of the Texans we've had a profound event occur to the organization but have we seen anything or heard anything so far from the ownew-founders CEO son or widow that would lead us to think that dramatic or even minor changes will come to the Texans in the near future ?

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I hate to mention but John McClain mentioned this also. Before I read his, I thought it adds up; Cal should want to make splash, there are vet free agents that could be great for Houston: Desean Jackson, Le'Veon Bell, Cameron Fleming, Ja'Wuan James and Chance Womack for some.

Janice McNair has been a voice in non football matters and I could see her taking a more visual if not vocal role with team as did her husband; not in any way to over shadow Cal.

12. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Afterall McClain does have sources so maybe something will come of his theory that Cal or Cal's Mother might encourage their new GM to be more active in FA. Hey we can only hope.

13. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

tbo I want all 4 starters on the secondary to be replaced with only Hal & reid border line safe but IMO everyone can be replaced with a cheaper younger player

if the vets wanna stay has a backup role cool but a vet min ….which I doubt they will do cus right now we do have like 7 DBs on the roster ..we have depth

14. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

15. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

There's one more way to upgrade CB. Trade

I'm for keeping JoJo and drafting a CB in the 2nd there should be some good ones like LOve/Sheffield/Isiah Johnson/Lonnie Johnson available. Heck, Mullen may even be available. Look for Gaine to draft guys with speed since that's what BOB said they needed.

With that said, Give me 2 OT's either by FA or highly drafted.

Texas Jake likes this.
  16. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Badger tweets to Antonio Brown to come play with him wherever Badger is this season.

18. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

If we could sign Brown, then I'd trade a #1 even if I had to on Peterson. I try to package a 2nd and something else, but you'd have a nice CB and OT figured out. That would be two really big needs filled with strong proven players.

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

That's relevant to you?

Hopefully we can resign Badger. I liked what he brought to the team

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

You would have to probably trade this yrs 1 and 3rd and next yrs 1 to get Peterson.

I've got a question for you, if you had to trade a 1st and a 2020 2nd for Antonio Brown would you do it?

I think I would if I knew I could sign Trent Brown then draft a CB or OT in the 1st and what I didn't get in the 1st say an OT then I would draft an OT in the 2nd.

An offense of

QB - Watson
    RB -Miller/ Cheap FA like Crowell/Late Rd guy like T. Johnson/Wes Hills
    OL- Brown/Kelemete/Mancz/Fulton/Drafted Rookie

Reserve- Drafted rookie/Martin/Davenport

TE/Jordan's/ Drafted Rookie

Wr's Hopkins/Antonio Brown/Fuller/Coutee/V. Smith

That's a dynamic offense and there would be no reason they couldn't hang with the Pats/Steelers/Rams/Chiefs offenses. Just gotta spend the $$$$. They have the cap room to get this done. I like this much better than signing Bell to a big contract and the offense wouldn't be reliant on Fuller staying healthy. Plus although he's a bit of a Diva you never have to question Antonio Brown's work ethic. How much/long is AB's contract?

CWTexansFan and Mollywhopper like this.