Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansballer74, Mar 16, 2018.

1. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Because unless Kareem stays at Corner, one will have to ride the bench.

2. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Why?

3. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

1st Round needs to be a LT or CB, IMO. 2nd round should be the other. Keep Matthieu and KJack both, if possible. Ditch Kevin Johnson. Reid, Matthieu and KJack gives a lot of flexibility for certain packages at S as long as the CBs can do their job (looking at you, Colvin). JJo not getting any younger and Kevin Johnson was a bust. Hal is solid depth behind the other three safeties.

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Because Reid is younger and better. He will be a fulltime starter. Unless they rotate the three of them.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

That's the thing, they play 3 safeties at times. Take advantage of the flexibility while you have it. Reid is dirt cheap for the remainder of KJax's likely career.

6. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Did they play 3 safeties because that's what they wanted to do, or because they were trying to limit the amount their shoddy corner were exposed?

Idk having 3 safeties on the field doesn't seem ideal in todays NFL, unless their all beasts in run support so they can fill in for your LBs as well

7. infantrycak

In the Texans case both. Teams around the league are playing 3 safety looks for additional run support, to counter TEs and as a best players on the field decision where the 3rd safety is better than the 4th or 5th CB.

CWTexansFan, Texas Jake, JB and 2 others like this.
  8. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Maybe they keep both. Who knows, nothing wrong on having three solid safetys but definitely need to draft at minimum two corners in the first three rounds. Tired of seeing joseph slow ass getting torched.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

With our cap space and our sad state at the corner position why wouldn't we extend Kareem? He's our most versatile DB and can fill two spots in a pinch and he brings veteran leadership to a rebuilding secondary. We already need to replace both Kevin Johnson and Jonathan Joseph this offseason.. I really don't want to have to replace all 3 in one offseason.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  10. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

K. Jackson will get extended. T. Mathieu will probably get a two year deal. I believe Jojo won't return. His time has come and gone. I don't know what they will do with Colvin. It seems like he's in RAC doghouse. Wright most definitely needs to be cut. And Johnson will be shown the door as well.

The CB will be addressed early in the draft I believe.

11. infantrycak

Really not sure what games people are watching. JJo had the tightest coverage on the team. He's under contract dirt cheap for 2019. Insane to consider getting rid if him. Bring in 2 new CBs and don't create holes by dumping JJo.

The Texans are upside down on Colvin this season so they need to figure out a way to make him productive.

12. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

Hopefully with a healthy ankle, and solid boundary corners he can regain his Jags form, and be a good slot corner

13. Texansballer74

Jojo is not getting younger is my point. And we need corners who can play in your face physical bump and run. Yes the old man is still hanging in there but he is getting slower. If you want to keep him fine. I'm all for it.

14. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

If you want your corners to play physical bump in run, you need to change your DC first. RAC rarely uses his corners that way, even when they are talented

15. Texansballer74

I've said in another thread that we need to let RAC go. His bend but don't brake defensive philosophy is outdated imo. Time to move on

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

We can keep both if contracts are reasonable. IMO we shouldn’t overpay for either.

17. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Amen!!!! With the front we have we should be attacking relentlessly. This stupid ass outdated crap where we allow the other team to just move methodically down the field hoping for a turnover just wears out our DL.

Seth pain was saying a while back that long drives early in the game just sap your energy and late in games you just don’t have anything left in the tank. 10, 12 and 14 play drives seem the norm against us.

I miss Wade Phillips style. If OB doesn’t get the boot we at least need to replace RAC. It’s just not an effective style anymore.

18. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

JJo is the best coverage guy on this team, get someone better but no way let him go.

19. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Jonathan Joseph finished the season graded as the #12 CB by PFF. I'd say that's about right. He's still really good at his age, but he's not the truly top notch guy we saw earlier in his career. Don't let that cloud your judgment though. If you have a chance to get or retain the #12 CB, you take it. Pay accordingly, play for decline and/or retirement, but take it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/johnathan-joseph/2969
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...-are-having-career-years-at-30-plus-years-old

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Surely you know history of injuries especially to our DBs. Both can play safety and corner but Kjack is better imo at corner. I want four good safeties but have concentrated last few weeks on possible trades for Clowney and Lamar Miller and possibly Fuller. I'm back to thinking KJack's cap if extended would be better on a younger comparable CB. Now focusing on draft with as is picks 1.23, 2.54 and 2.55, and 3.87. I still would hope to trade Lamar Miller for 4th to someone like Pittsburgh for use as a complimentary back. Conner out and Bell holding out a Miller would have probably taken that team deeper.

I'm thinking Mathieu is extended.