Welcome to Houston Tyrann Mathieu

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansballer74, Mar 16, 2018.

1. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep with Mathieu/Jackson/Reid you have a massive upgrade when it comes to tackling on the backend. Moore was terrible an Hal (God bless him) wasn't a good enough tackler to be the last line of defense.

Also with these Safeties hopefully the crossing patterns that teams ran against the secondary should atleast be held down some with Jackson/Reid back there. I see Mathieu playing closer to the LOS.

See there's a positive Texans note, for those that think all I do is hate on everything Texans.

2. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

I know it’s one game - but when do you start talking about signing a player to prevent them going free agent during the season?

Asking for a friend.

Seriously though- he and only a few others prepared and came to play yesterday.

TejasTom, paycheck71 and santo like this.
  3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

With K-jo gone for at least 4 weeks, i hope & pray K-jax moves back to cb, and Reid replaces him at safety. I liked what i saw from the kid as opposed to what i know i'll get from Bademosi. Hopefully Kayvon Webster can come and contribute at some point.

steelbtexan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  4. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

Mathieu will have a pretty good year playing for RAC and then parlay that into a nice fat contract with a contender next year during free agency. Honey Badger ain't stupid.

5. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

It's been so long since I've seen really good safety play out of the Texans that I'm almost wanting to say that was the best that group has ever played for them. Somebody please help me if I'm wrong but I thought that group was outstanding in that game.

TejasTom and ATXtexanfan like this.
  6. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I was actually not worried about the big play as I usually am.

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Glover Quin and Danieal Manning were a pretty good duo.

thunderkyss and NitroGSXR like this.
  8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

From Aaron Wilson Houston Chronicle November 20 2018 Tyrann Mathieu "I think I have long was to go, but think we are on right start, I thought I picked right guys to go to war with, go to battle with each and every week. I told these guys last night how much I love them, how much I enjoy playing with them." He goes on to say very thankful coming to new city and new team not knowing what to expect ---things going well for him, looking forward to rest of year. After ten games 60 tackles, two INTs for 24 yards and three sacks for 20 yards. He is on a one year contract with a guaranteed $7 million cap cost.

Nothing new but he still seems positive on his experience in Houston.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  9. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

We need to go balls to the wall to sign him to a long term contract. That would potentially give this team two safety's playing like 1st rd draft picks, with KJax the wildcard, also playing like a 1st rounder at safety/corner.

For a team whose entire history is basically treating safety like somewhere between punter and water boy on the importance list, it's a stunning turnaround. Now the trick is to keep this trio together.

OptimisticTexan and vtech9 like this.
  10. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I think you need to re-sign him just for what he brings to our locker room if nothing else. He has also been instrumental in making sure guys are in the right position presnap.

Anyone else notice before JJs sack, HB came sprinting down to tell JJ something than ran back right before the ball was snapped? Makes me wonder if he recognized a play from back there, and told JJ he was free to rush outside hard or something.

OptimisticTexan and vtech9 like this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If they need to cut Blue Miller and DT to make this happen, they should do it.

12. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Quite a difference from the importance placed on the safety position during the Ricky yrs. You think BOB/RAC were making the calls on who was added to the safety position before Gaine started running the show?

13. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We have $20 million this season in cap space right now without cutting anyone and $80 million next. I'm using Miller and Blue for someone else next year thank you very much--lol

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

I've said this a few times, but IMO the biggest thing Badger brings is versatility - not just himself, but what the rest of the secondary can do around him. His ability to play slot, blitz, mid zone, deep zone - that gives guys like Hal and Reid options to play into their strengths. And as someone who's been supporting Kareem longer than 'contract year', THIS is what I've been seeing for the past few years - he's been too buried in saving the defense that he's not had a chance to lead the defense. Badger gives Kareem that ability, and vice versa - strengthening each other's position. If not for Kareem, Badger would probably be in that spot right now, trying to duct tape the secondary together and put in no-win situations.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    TejasTom, OptimisticTexan, JB and 3 others like this.
  15. frethack

frethack Veteran

16. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Mr teX, Scooter, TexansBull and 2 others like this.
  17. frethack

frethack Veteran

Totally agree, but I'm interested to see what he can do with some freedom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Scooter, Chance_C and frethack like this.
  19. cbs1507

cbs1507 Veteran

Thorn likes this.
  20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

With nothing more on contract negotiations, perhaps he agreed on one to be announced post season.