Welcome to Houston Max Sharping

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texansballer74, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

We got Josh Allen coming... Are either one of these Tackles in Tytus Howard or Max Scharping going to be able to block Josh Allen? in the end...I felt we reached and should've traded out the 2nd pick in the 2nd round but hey! At least, we addressed a position of need and got Obrien his versatile guys on the Oline...

Texansballer74 and TheKDog like this.
  2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Funny enough it would be easier to argue that Sharping would have been a better 1st round pick as a T for this team .. he graded out much better that Howard in most; if not all; of the measurables at the combine. Shrug.

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. HaveMercy

HaveMercy Passing Through

I'm thankful that we got both Sharping and Howard. MAYBE the Texans could have done a bit better, but I'm not complaining, not even close. I want both of them to become maulers with quick feet, excellent technique, a stunning punch, fast reactions, and enough finesse to be counted among the best. For the first time in several years, there's really hope for the O Line.

steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  4. HaveMercy

And now I'm pulling for Mike Devlin more than ever. He's not going anywhere, so may he exceed the expectations of this MB. The same thing goes for the S&C staff.

5. Pharaohcious

Pharaohcious Veteran

I don't know much about Mike Devlin but I don't hear good things... is he on the HOT seat?

6. HaveMercy

Few people on the MB think he's better than a middling coach. But it doesn't look like he's going anywhere anytime soon. He seems to be a favorite of OB, but none of us really know the inside story of the inside story.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Interesting to know that he had an invaluable experience at Northern Illinois which ran the entire gamut of blocking schemes.............inside and outside zone..........power/gap..........and man/drive.

Max Scharping Ready to Bring His High Standards to the Houston Texans

byJoshua R. Silva23 hrs

From a small town to the Houston Texans, Max Scharping is ready to make his mark in the NFL.

The Houston Texans went into the 2019 NFL Draft with a glaring need at offensive tackle. Despite picking up offensive tackle Martinas Rankin in the third-round of last year's NFL Draft, the Texans decided to go with not one, but two offensive tackles in the first two rounds of this year's draft.

The Texans double-dipped on offensive tackles in second-round by selecting Max Scharping out of Northern Illinois after selecting Alabama State's Tytus Howard in the first-round. Although another small school prospect, Scharping holds many traits that potentially ensure a smooth transition into not only the Texans organization but the NFL.

The NFL mentality for the game of football that players must hold is one that Scharping has carried since his high school days. Thanks to former NFL linebacker and defensive MVP, Bryce Paup. Paup was Scharping's high school head coach, and it was Paup who helped instill that mentality to be successful in the game of football.

"Obviously having a high school coach that played in the NFL at a high level and won the defensive MVP award was huge for our program," Scharping explained when asked about his former high school head coach. "He really set a standard of excellence at [Green Bay] Southwest, weight room-wise, just coming to practice on time, all that. And that helped going into college… He was building men more than even football players. I think that was very special."

Although carrying those standards to the college level, Scharping wasn't always sure of an NFL career. Before the Texans selected Scharping, there has not been a player out of the Green Bay public school system selected in the NFL Draft since 1988. That is when former Wisconsin quarterback, Bud Keyes, was taken in the tenth round. Throw in the fact that Scharping was set to play college football in the Mid-American Conference (MAC), one of the weaker Division I conferences in the FBS, the odds seemed slim. Regardless, that didn't mean much by the end of his sophomore year.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Grams, austins23, disaacks3 and 5 others like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Former hockey players usually make good OL.

CWTexansFan and disaacks3 like this.
  9. CloakNNNdagger

As I understand it, although there were numerous reports to it, he did not suffer a hamstring injury.......just experienced hamstring tightness. And this occurred after the Senior Bowl in preparation for the Combine.

When I was researching the above, I came across another interesting piece of Scharping's history. It seems that he suffered a fractured tibia as a sophomore in high school and doubted his future in football altogether, but he came back strong in his senior year. Nevertheless, he was ranked a 2 star recruit as this injury kept him from attracting elite schools.

10. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Hall of Fame

Good find!

steelbtexan likes this.

11. Toro Bravo

Toro Bravo Rookie

JJ Watt was rated as a 2 star recruit by both rivals.com and scout.com. He was neither a top ranked TE prospect or D line prospect in his class.
    I believe Scharping is going to be a very good long time tackle for us.

12. CloakNNNdagger

PFF HOU Texans‏@PFF_Texans May 6

Max Scharping's 94 pass-blocking grade in 2017 was the second-highest by a Group of 5 tackle since PFF started grading in 2013. He allowed a grand total of 5 pressures (4 hurries, 1 hit) on the year.

13. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

Scharping shut out Brian Burns in the FSU and I believe he had a good game against A.J. Epenesa from Iowa. Howard performed well against Auburn as well as against top level competition at the senior bowl.

I see and hear people harping on BOB’s love of versatility. Remember, we only dress 7 OL on game day. We better have guys that can function at other positions in case of injury. Our issue with the OL has been a pure lack of talent as well as some scheme issues. Hopefully both of these will be corrected this off season

14. HaveMercy

OtisB, you nailed it. That's another one of those posts I wish I'd written.
    We'll have to see if the offense can improve scheme and coaching, but like you, I'm hoping for the best, fingers crossed and one eye closed.

May OB and Devlin and the new coaches surprise us...in a good way.

otisbean and CWTexansFan like this.
  15. CloakNNNdagger

Scharping has been strongly criticized for not having good feet (and I agree) and therefore would have a more difficult time of making it as an NFL LT than RT....................having 2 left feet has certainly never stopped Davenport from being played at LT.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    CWTexansFan, otisbean and steelbtexan like this.
  16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

IIRC, we didn't have more than 7 who could play. They brought guys onto roster and onto field with minimal practise. Our two guards, Kele and Fulton went out and we had Lamm...Lamm as a starter! And he earned his check by just getting to LOS. This new online going to be much better. And so will #4

CWTexansFan, otisbean and steelbtexan like this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Dupe

18. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Agreed. Not enough has been mentioned how Carl Smith will improve the OL play just by making DW4 more aware under pressure to not take sacks. An improved #4 combined with an OL that shows a glimpse of actual talent!

vupac1, steelbtexan and CWTexansFan like this.
  19. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

That will decrease the sacks Watson takes. Not the time it takes to get pressure on Watson. That's still on the o-line.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I like your way of thinking.