week 5 vs Oakland stats

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Thorn, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

OK, after four weeks, let's look at the stats. They are starting to tell a story. All numbers are the current league ranking according to ESPN.

Oakland Offense
    total yards 8th
    rushing yds 1
    passing yds 22
    points 7

Houston Offense
    total yds 10
    rushing yds 4
    passing yds 20
    points 8

Oakland Defense
    total yds 29
    rushing yds 29
    passing yds 22
    points 30

Houston Defense
    total yds 10
    rushing yds 18
    passing yds 10
    points 4

On offense, the stats are a wash. No real advantage to either side. Defensive stats tell another story though. Our defense has clearly played better. Given a home field advantage, even without AJ, the stats are on our side. Their defense can be had. Being 30th in the league in points allowed as opposed to our being 4th in the league should work to our advantage.

But as we all know, it's a new team every Sunday given the history of both Oakland and Houston. We shall see what we shall see.

2. JWarren14

JWarren14 Beer Me

I think the key will be getting an early lead and keeping that lead to force the Raiders into throwing the ball more. McFadden is going to get his no matter what, but if we can change their game-plan and get them to abandon the run I think we'll be a lot better off.

The worrisome thing is how will Arian do after his 30 carry performance against the Steelers and will Ogbonnaya be effective as the number 2 back as it seems that may be the case Sunday. Looking for a lot of 2-3 TE sets to get OD and Dressen involved to make up for the absence of AJ and more creative ways to get Casey the ball as well. We have the weapons to fill in for AJ, hopefully Schaub can go through his progressions quickly, i'm confident he will be able to with our OL.

Here are some other people's thoughts from around the web.

ESPN AccuScore prediction:
    OAK 24.7
    HOU 27.6

TeamRankings.com prediciton:
    Oakland 17.7
    Houston 24.3

Let's get it done!

3. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I think the DL will eat Campbell alive. They've got athletic receivers but I think we've got the hosses to matchup and give the necessary time to get to Campbell. The Raiders will have to beat them up on the ground with McFadden and just go bonkers scoring rushing TDs.

On offense, the Texans have a pretty distinct advantage. Their D may get up a little for this game but if the Steelers can't shut them down I certainly don't buy the Raiders doing any better.

Texans 27 - Raiders 14

4. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

That's my belief as well.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

The problem with stats like those.

Raider's defense has played: The up-start Bills, Tom Brady and the Patriots, and the 2x running AFC Championship loser (good team), and of course the lowly Broncos but they did so in Denver.

Now lets see what the Texans defense had to face: The Manning-less Colts, the Hapless 0-4 Dollfans, the Saints (they lost, but played a good game), and the tired and old Steelers.

What does it all mean? To me, it means the stats don't really tell the story. Sure, the Texans could and should win, but don't think the Raiders are a push over. In fact, if the Raiders do win, I would not consider it to be an upset.

Kulluminatii likes this.
  6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

In terms of the two football teams, I would consider it an upset if the Texans lost. But with Houston, you just never know. This is a game the Texans should win if they are what we hope they are.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

Just to clarify. In my mind, Seattle beating the Patriots is an upset. The Raiders beating the Texans is not. I haven't looked, but I assume the Texans are the points favorite in Vegas, so I guess in that regard it would be an upset. As far as talent? The Raiders have some very impressive young talent on both sides of the ball, and have two of the best kickers in the NFL. So, I don't think them beating anybody in the NFL right now would be seen as an upset. Likewise, I don't think the Texans beating any other team right now could be seen as an upset.

8. Rey

Rey Guest

I think if the Texans went into GB and beat the Packers it'd be an upset...

If we go into Baltimore and beat them, that's an upset...

I think the Raiders and Texans are both good teams, but if we lose to the Raiders it will be an upset IMO...Not a huge upset...but an upset none the less...

9. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

All I know is that if the Raiders lose, I'll be upset. :crying:

10. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Obviously the teams they've played so far aren't really known for good defenses (maybe the Jets). But still, Campbell's only been sacked twice in 4 games. So that, and the fact we'll likely be focusing on the run a lot more than the past. I don't see many sacks coming out of this game.

However, it'd be nice to jump out with a decent lead. Then have them pin their ears back and go after Campbell

11. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

One of the reasons you don't see so many sacks of Campbell is Al Saunders. He is the same OC that helped Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson look great in KC. He specializes in playing to a players strengths, and loves to run the screen pass. This is where McFadden may become really dangerous to the Texans.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Meh... Texans win by 17..... 31-14(ish) :kitten:

:runaway:

13. Rey

Rey Guest

I hope you are upset come Sunday. :) No offense and nothing personal.

:evil:

And I hope neither team has any injuries. :goodluck:

14. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I love the spin on this. The up-start Bills vs the old and tired Steelers. Do you really think the Bills are that much better then the Steelers?

15. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

The "old and tired" or was it "slow", was said tongue-in-cheek with reference to what someone said about them in the media; maybe Sapp? And yes, the Bills are an upstart team, considering some pundits thought they would be one of the worst teams this season. As for better? If they are what their record says they are, then yes 3-1 trumps 2-2.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think a lower scoring game will always favor the Texans. When we are out there trying to score 30, that's when we have those unbelievable goof-ups. That's when we Romo it all to hell.

I think the Raider's DL will be a challenge. Major accomplishment if they can keep Schaub upright.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I'll be upset if the Raiders beat us at home. I think we're a much better team... our core has been together much longer.

If the Raiders win, it's an upset.

18. fiasco west

fiasco west Hall of Fame

This is what Texans fans used to say last year about our pass defense.

"Oh we played Manning..." or "Oh we played McNabb, he's still pretty good." "Oh we played Romo..."

Turns out that the Pass defense WAS really that bad no matter the opposing QB.

Not saying that this is the case with the Raiders, but a trend is developing for that defense and you guys are not exactly coming in to play a lowly struggling offense or even a mediocre one.

But I agree that the Raiders are far from pushovers, I think they have a real chance to win the AFCW this year.

19. Cerberus

Cerberus Hall of Fame

Once again, the USA Hockey team beating the Soviets way back when, THAT WAS AN UPSET. In today's football, most any team can when on any given Sunday. So, for the most part there aren't too many upsets any more. This is what parity got us. Wow!

Anyway, not all underdog victories are upsets. Not IMHO anyway.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Once again, it may not be an upset in the true sense of the word. But it's been a long time coming & I think the Texans are in for a special season. Losing to the Raiders is not part of my idea of a special season.

It will be an upset to me & I guarantee it will be an upset to most every H-town Texans' fan.

Nothing against you or the Raiders, this is an internal "family" affair.