Week 2 Power Rankings and the Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by wagonhed, Sep 14, 2010.

1. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Just made this thread to talk about power rankings and where the Texans show up in them this week. I'm a bit obsessed with these usually, and got so freaking excited about the first one I saw (bleacher report) that I have to post it. Please post more as you see them.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ek-1-san-francisco-49ers-falling-fast#page/26

Guess what fellas.... they have us at #7! That's right. One spot ahead of the Colts! Ahahahahaha!

I'm going to be on a cloud all week after this win.

2. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

OK, am I the only one not sold on the Ravens and Jets? :thinking:

3. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

BIG TORO likes this.
  4. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

Well I wasn't before the game tonight either.

5. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

too early in the season fo rme to get excited about these power rankings. they mean more 8 games deep.

that doesn't mean it's not nice to see. nat'l media's been big upping us lately. that always makes me worry a bit.

6. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

To answer your question, I'm sold on the Ravens. Jets, not so much. I agree with those who are calling the Ravens legitimate SB contenders.

7. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

After this weekend, our schedule doesn't look as hard as it could have been. Jets and Cowboys are two examples. Another is the Raiders, oddly enough. There was some noise coming from Oakland that they would be legit, but they look like crap (again). We have one game up on the Colts already, too.

8. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

Yeah but at the same time, neither the Titans nor Jags are looking like a walk in the park. The AFC South looks like it's shaping up to be by far the most dominant division in the league.

9. Austrian

Austrian Hall of Fame

10. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Nope... You're not the only one not sold. :handshake:

BTW, I hate power rankings.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Power rankings are a lot of fun if your team is highly ranked. Not so much if you've got a crappy team. Same with press coverage. I'll enjoy the Texans in the limelight while they have it, and ignore the press when they don't. Same as always I guess.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Well, you have a point but since I've been telling the power rankings for 8 years to "kiss my ass", I'm a little cynical of them. ;)

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

And you'd be right because they are meaningless, even if they are showing your team in a good way. In any case it's up to the team to win, not the sports writers.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think we bought ourselves some breathing room, with the Win over Indy. Most everyone probably had us losing both games, and now, I think most will give us a chance to win the second one.

The Cowboys and Jets were swing games IMHO, which we can afford to lose, and not risk our 10-6 hopeful outcome.

I don't see the Cowboys losing 3 games to start the season, so I'm hoping they'll win in week 2. Not that we can't beat them, I just think it makes it less likely. They'll already be fired up for the game, being 0-2 just makes them even more so, & we'll have to match that intensity.

The Jets, we don't play them until November. Not a good month for the Texans & it gives the Jets a lot of time, & a lot of film to work some things out. If Rex Ryan is who people say he is, that's not going to be an easy game.

16. BIG TORO

BIG TORO TERADACTYL #23

The ravens offense just looks like crap to me, even with all the talent at WR.

Also with all these teams that are suppose to be good looking like crap, there are some teams crapy teams looking decent like: Chiefs, and Seahawks.

As far as power rankings, I like them! For some reason there always pretty accurate prediction on how a team is doing. Last year was the first year I kept up with them and it was fun and pretty right on.

17. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

You know all these will be worthless when they still have the Cowboys in the top 5 probably.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I just checked their schedule. They play the Bears @ Cowboy Stadium. They'll probably route them, and come into Reliant very confident (overconfident).

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think people are saying the same thing about our passing game, and taking into account we were playing the Colts run defense. I think we are getting the benefit of the doubt, that we'll get Matt & AJ going.

I think the Ravens are getting that same benefit of the doubt, they are more talented on offense, than they were.

If they look like they did next week, I think they'll start to slip, as will we.

20. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Rookie

Is Kris Jenkins related to Bob Sanders? How long did Jenkins last, one whole quarter before he went out with a knee?

Looks like Boldin may be the annual one-in-ten FA signings that work out as planned. Good move for him and the Ravens.