Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Week 11 - National Emberrassment

What can this organization do to avoid being completely emberrassed in front of a national audience in 2 weeks? If things continue on this course the team will be coming into the game 1-9 and the stands will be empty. The few fans that are there will be booing louder than ever. Is there anything that can be done at this point or is it predetermined that this regime has set the organization back years?

the wonger need food said:
What can this organization do to avoid being completely emberrassed in front of a national audience in 2 weeks? If things continue on this course the team will be coming into the game 1-9 and the stands will be empty. The few fans that are there will be booing louder than ever. Is there anything that can be done at this point or is predetermined that this regime has set the organization back years?
-
We've only been set back 4 years, wonger - that isn't a lifetime - just a few thousand $$ for season tickets. :) I'm usually optimistic to the point of nauseating - but I think this season is pretty predetermined/preordained/a foregone conclusion. What can be done? Oh, McNair bopping Capers with a playbook would be fun to witness. I don't think much of anything can be done at this point:crying: but I would sure love to see a change in the hc even if it meant an interim. It may not change the season, but it just might give the players a little chance for hope and a smile.

The first 5 weeks or so the Texans let teams walk all over them. The last few games, they've shown effort. I think most Texans fans are savvy enough to realize this and will come out ready to support effort. If it's there, they will cheer. If not, they will boo. If the Texans can get Hodgdon back on the field and Pitts back to LT, they should be competitive against the Chiefs.

Buffi2 said:
-
We've only been set back 4 years, wonger - that isn't a lifetime - just a few thousand $$ for season tickets. :) I'm usually optimistic to the point of nauseating - but I think this season is pretty predetermined/preordained/a foregone conclusion. What can be done? Oh, McNair bopping Capers with a playbook would be fun to witness. I don't think much of anything can be done at this point:crying: but I would sure love to see a change in the hc even if it meant an interim. It may not change the season, but it just might give the players a little chance for hope and a smile.

it would not be a very thick playbokk: HB dive left, HB dive left, dump-off to RB, punt...

Lucky said:
The first 5 weeks or so the Texans let teams walk all over them. The last few games, they've shown effort. I think most Texans fans are savvy enough to realize this and will come out ready to support effort. If it's there, they will cheer. If not, they will boo. If the Texans can get Hodgdon back on the field and Pitts back to LT, they should be competitive against the Chiefs.
and thats the whole problem... we dont want to be comptetative, we wbat to WIN!!! this whole menatlity is going a long way towards the problems we are having. the one time we were agressive (4th and inches) we got a TD...

Lucky said:

Unfortunately, your post has a point. For the Texans, especially with Dom Capers, these football games are not about winning--instead, they are about how you lose and sometimes even win with his philosophy. He's probaly going to be very excited with post game comments, almost giddy. Why? Capers lives and breathes to have a chance on the final drive of the game to try and make a difference in that game. If the team achieves that goal--win or lose--nothing else matters. That final drive-in this exact scenario-is the closest Capers will come to coaching to win the football game...so, bottom line, Capers is feeling pretty good right now...:yahoo:

tsip said:
Unfortunately, your post has a point. For the Texans, especially with Dom Capers, these football games are not about winning--instead, they are about how you lose and sometimes even win with his philosophy. He's probaly going to be very excited with post game comments, almost giddy. Why? Capers lives and breathes to have a chance on the final drive of the game to try and make a difference in that game. If the team achieves that goal--win or lose--nothing else matters. That final drive-in this exact scenario-is the closest Capers will come to coaching to win the football game...so, bottom line, Capers is feeling pretty good right now...:yahoo:

Winning is not on Dom Caper's agenda. Keeping games close is the goal. Undoubtedly, he is very happy with this game.

"I thought our guys fought hard, we just didn't execute."

This is exactly why he needs to be fired at 8:00 AM tomorrow morning.

Lucky said:
The first 5 weeks or so the Texans let teams walk all over them. The last few games, they've shown effort. I think most Texans fans are savvy enough to realize this and will come out ready to support effort. If it's there, they will cheer. If not, they will boo.
Thank you, my exact sentiments ! They played hard and were in the game to
the very end as contrasted with earlier in the season when they were not even competitive. After the last couple weeks, I'm feeling much better about
the team even though they have continued to lose.

I agree, we are no longer an embarrassment to NFL football like we were when we were historically bad earlier in the year never having a single lead. We have risen to just being a bad team. Today's game gave us a glimpse of NFL football.

nunusguy said:
the very end as contrasted with earlier in the season when they were not even competitive. After the last couple weeks, I'm feeling much better about

They are worse (a lot worse) than they were in their expansion season. If that's something to feel good about I want what you're taking.

nunusguy said:

Right on. We played a team that was favored to beat us by 2 touchdowns, and we played them hard. Yes, I would have liked a win but for the first time this year I found the game entertaining - I wanted to make sure I didn't miss a play. Unlike the Browns game which was a comedy of (Brown's) errors, we at least were earning our shot at the win today.

It won't be a national embarrassment because few will be watching. The Texans are already a joke on a national level and it keeps coming and won't end until they can at least finish a season at .500. Today there was Frank Caliendo's pregame skit poking fun at W picking the Texans, and Boomer Esiason's halftime remarks about the Jags being "pathetic and embarrassing" for trailing the lowly Texans (nothing about the Texans playing a good game). Right now, our Texans are viewed as the worst team in the NFL and it's well deserved. Put the Capers "we really fought hard" spin on it all you want. This team is not good and won't be good until there is major change in management, coaching, and personnel.

Vinny said:
I agree, we are no longer an embarrassment to NFL football like we were when we were historically bad earlier in the year never having a single lead. We have risen to just being a bad team. Today's game gave us a glimpse of NFL football.

I agree with Vinny's take .... I was screaming at the TV just like many other Texans fans but in the end it may have been best, long term, that we lost .... God forbid we eek out a few upset wins and Capers survives .....

As per the norm, I totally agree with aj on this one, and I think it is just what he mentioned that many don't consider when attempting to analyze this team's failures this current year.

The game Sunday night will barely peek the interest of any other than those willing to lay money on the outcome. The guy I am taking to the game actually mentioned that he is looking forward to being in a home team stadium and hearing the resounding boo's that will be projected.....oh, and he is a Texan fan, just a realistic one.

Relish this Sunday night "primetime" game, because it will be the last one we see for quite awhile.......

Wonger you are very negative. I was happy with the effort both sides gave today. We played better than the Jags. By the way, check your spelling (embArrassment) so you won't be embarrassed.

Napa Auto Parts said:
More like realistic he is just telling it like it is you cant polish S%^@

leave it to the second most negative guy on the board to back up the first most negative guy. go put your glass under the fountain and get some water in that bad boy.

karen9977 said:
Wonger you are very negative. I was happy with the effort both sides gave today. We played better than the Jags. By the way, check your spelling (embArrassment) so you won't be embarrassed.

Pfffff. I thought that proper spelling and grammar were frowned upon on this board... :)

Anyway, when this team starts playing to its potential there will be a lot less negativity from me.

The team played like garbage again today. The defense didn't pressure the QB, gave up long 3rd downs, didn't tackle and looked totally confused.... again. The offense was slightly better, but still did not perform like a quality NFL offense should.

A loss is a loss. I remember a time around here when people got upset about a loss no matter who it was to. Now people are happy just to see the team beat the spread and look "competetive". It's like the organization has brainwashed the fan base and now people accept mediocrity (and almost embrace it), just like they do.

Pfffff. I thought that proper spelling and grammar were frowned upon on this board... :)

Anyway, when this team starts playing to its potential there will be a lot less negativity from me.

The team played like garbage again today. The defense didn't pressure the QB, gave up long 3rd downs, didn't tackle and looked totally confused.... again. The offense was slightly better, but still did not perform like a quality NFL offense should.

A loss is a loss. I remember a time around here when people got upset about a loss no matter who it was to. Now people are happy just to see the team beat the spread and look "competetive". It's like the organization has brainwashed the fan base and now people accept mediocrity (and almost embrace), just like they do.

I agree with you. I'm happy to have the Texans in the game, but they were in the game because the Jags kept them in there. They could have done a much better job at harassing BL. And you know it is bad when we are scoring off Bradford. I love the Texans, but no way do I think this was a good game.

We're not an embarassment anymore: That stopped last week after the Cleveland win. No chance we are going down as an 0-16 team.

There are storied franchises who are just as bad as we are (Green Bay).

Our only problem is that we don't know what sort of owner we have. Sure, he brought football back to Houston and blah blah blah, yakkity yakkity yakkity. We know the drill.

But what he does NOW is a big "clue" for us fans in terms of where this team is headed for its entire existence.

If he keeps Capers, or if it's just another patch job and not a dynamic changing of the guard for our team after this season...I cannot imagine staying a fan of this team. IMO, he better make a big change if he wants to have any chance of filling those seats like they used to be filled.

We're only a national embarassment if McNair fails to carry out the execution of Dom Capers. It's a business, but if he runs it like it's his little hobby he does on weekends, then I'll probably just start going fishing on Sundays or whatever little hobby I want to do on weekends. Surely he'll do the right thing when the time comes.

He's been tightfisted with the balance of our cap dollars. He couldn't land Orlando Pace, which would have shored up the line a LOT. And he's just a big question mark to me at this point. Should be interesting after the end of this season.

He's been tightfisted with the balance of our cap dollars

On the contrary, he's allowed our GM just enough freedom to execute some severely stupid contracts that will put a lot of pressure on our cap margin in the future.

What can this organization do to avoid being completely emberrassed in front of a national audience in 2 weeks? If things continue on this course the team will be coming into the game 1-9 and the stands will be empty. The few fans that are there will be booing louder than ever. Is there anything that can be done at this point or is it predetermined that this regime has set the organization back years?
:crying: You need to stop a realize that we have a NFL team. Think how many cities do not have a team. I have lived in three cities with NFL teams and Houston is does not seem to realize how lucky they are to have another shot at a team. I am a season ticket holder from the first year and to me it does not matter how bad we are i am thankfull to be able to go to the games. Iam not a boobird since I think it does nothing but bring down the players. The players need all the support we can give them. If they end up 1-15 I will still cheer as loud as I always do. If fans do not want to show up for the games it is there mistake. Let's all show the nation how much we support the TEXANS and show up. GO TEXANS and HOOK'EM HOORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:texflag:

aj. said:
On the contrary, he's allowed our GM just enough freedom to execute some severely stupid contracts that will put a lot of pressure on our cap margin in the future.
True, but a good owner has to trust the instincts of their football people. If they fail, he finds different football people. There's nothing worse than a meddlesome owner.

My point was that McNair is anything but tightfisted with salary but the money hasn't been spent well by the GM in many cases - not that he's meddlesome. We'll find out more about the type of owner he is after this season.

I believe that all the bandwagoners will be right next to you once the Texans start winning games. I know its difficult, but supporting the team through the leaner times makes those higher points so much greater.

BTW, Pace did not stay in STL, because Houston didn't want to spend the money. It was the two first round picks that Casserly did not want to let go. How many of you think Pace is worth two first round picks?

rittenhouserobz said:
...bandwagoners...supporting the team through the leaner times

Just because someone is highly critical of the team, coaching or whatever, doesn't always mean they don't support them. In fact, those criticisms may come from the same place in the gut that causes the blind homer to go 'yay Texans' after every loss. Sometimes people complain because they care. Ask me about it sometime. On second hand, don't because I'll go into my 45 minute diatribe that my friends, family, and coworkers are already tired of hearing.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I guess, according to most of you couch coaches. If Bob McNair doesn't do EXACTLY what YOU think he should do, we might as well board up Reliant and call it a day! GEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinggator said:
:crying: You need to stop a realize that we have a NFL team. Think how many cities do not have a team. I have lived in three cities with NFL teams and Houston is does not seem to realize how lucky they are to have another shot at a team. I am a season ticket holder from the first year and to me it does not matter how bad we are i am thankfull to be able to go to the games. Iam not a boobird since I think it does nothing but bring down the players. The players need all the support we can give them. If they end up 1-15 I will still cheer as loud as I always do. If fans do not want to show up for the games it is there mistake. Let's all show the nation how much we support the TEXANS and show up. GO TEXANS and HOOK'EM HOORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:texflag:

I think you last line says it all. Many of us on this board have the luxury of going through a story book season with the Horns and do not lump on the Texans. Wonger may not be a UT fan, he could be an Aggie for all we know. I do belive that if I were a fan of the Texans and the Aggies I would be extremely salty right now.

You guys are killin me!

Your team is MUCH better than your record shows.
Ofcourse, yesterday is the only time I've seen you play but you guys gave us more fits than Cincy & Seattle at home.

I thought David Carr was on fire and the play calling was even good.

Anyway, you guys always give us trouble and I thought you should know that your team was very poised and played the whole game with passion.

Good luck the rest of the season and I'll be looking for you soon when we come to your house.

What can this organization do to avoid being completely emberrassed in front of a national audience in 2 weeks?

As fans, we can pack Reliant and be the rabid 12th man that we have in the past. Regardless of what's going on the field, we can still show the nation that Houston fans love their Texans football, through good times and bad.

Lucky said:
The first 5 weeks or so the Texans let teams walk all over them. The last few games, they've shown effort. I think most Texans fans are savvy enough to realize this and will come out ready to support effort.

My thoughts exactly. The team is playing competitive ball now, even in losing efforts. If they had been playing like this the first six games, I have no doubt that they would have more wins at this point.

aj. said:
It won't be a national embarrassment because few will be watching. The Texans are already a joke on a national level and it keeps coming and won't end until they can at least finish a season at .500. Today there was Frank Caliendo's pregame skit poking fun at W picking the Texans, and Boomer Esiason's halftime remarks about the Jags being "pathetic and embarrassing" for trailing the lowly Texans (nothing about the Texans playing a good game). Right now, our Texans are viewed as the worst team in the NFL and it's well deserved. Put the Capers "we really fought hard" spin on it all you want. This team is not good and won't be good until there is major change in management, coaching, and personnel.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. As usual, aj. hit the nail on the head. Regardless if we want to realize it or not, the national media sees the Texans as an expansion franchise, and it will remain that way until we [eventually] have a winning season or even go to the playoffs.

Kinggator said:
You need to stop a realize that we have a NFL team. Think how many cities do not have a team.

I think that is a given. People would not take part in forum discussions if they didn't care.

Like aj. said, "In fact, those criticisms may come from the same place in the gut that causes the blind homer to go 'yay Texans' after every loss."

We are ALL fans, regardless if you're a blind homer or critical analyst. One is NOT better than the other, and I get tired of the constant superiority contest by some folks because other express their opinions here.

It's ALWAYS go Texans! :texflag: ...but we still have the right to have an opinion that is contrary to company policy. :ok:

How did this turn into the typical who's a fan and who's not thread. Really people, let's keep it to addressing the issues and leave the whining about other posters for another thread.

So the question still has not been answered. Can anything be done to avoid a complete embarrassment in front of a national audience in 2 weeks?

I believe the only way to do this is to fire Capers today. It might breathe some life into this team and show the fans that something is being done to try and salvage this fledgling franchise.

How did this turn into the typical who's a fan and who's not thread. Really people, let's keep it to addressing the issues and leave the whining about other posters for another thread.

Thank you!!! For bringing that to the thread's attention!!:yahoo:

So the question still has not been answered. Can anything be done to avoid a complete embarrassment in front of a national audience in 2 weeks?

I believe the only way to do this is to fire Capers today. It might breathe some life into this team and show the fans that something is being done to try and salvage this fledgling franchise.

I agree. Although I'm not sure it would give us a better chance to win - at least the national audience, the fans, and the players would know we were trying to fix a problem. It also might help the empty seat problem as well as quiet some of the boos for a period of time. Hope can do wonders and right now we don't have a whole lot of that. :)

So absolutely nothing has been done and the team is as bad as ever going into their last nationally televised game, for perhaps several years. Next Monday should be a lot of fun.

Back