Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Weeden?

TripleTap

Dead Wood
Please do the detail on B. Weeden -- who, what, when, where, how. Is a real idea or is just playing in the garbage pile?

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Nay. He's worse than the worst that ever was, and he's near retirement age because he was so elderly when he was drafted.

speedfreek

All Pro
Weeden is a less mobile, less accurate, less successful, older Case Keenum.

They ran exactly the same system in college (Air Raid), and had exactly
the same offensive coordinator (Dana Holgorsen).

Should have just kept Keenum, he's better than Weeden, and cheaper too.

Silly, just silly. BoB and Rick have no idea what they are doing..

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They may have no idea of what they are doing, but their options are very limited this time of the year.

paycheck71

Hall of Fame
Like I mentioned in another thread, he'll be cut before the season is over. As soon as Hoyer is back from concussion protocol, Weeden is gone (maybe TJ, depending on who's cheaper to cut).

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I don't get why people are so angry about this pick up... there are NO good QBs available right now. Weeden actually has alot of game play experience this season, so I'm fine with it.
It's not about being angry at picking up Weeden, or whoever's available. It's about trying to get by with the likes of Fitzpatrick and Hoyer and not even trying to get you a franchise QB. I know nothing can be done about it now, but they need to get off their asses and draft a damn QB this coming April.

And BTW, who cares if a guy has game play experience if he sucks? Weeden, Yates, Hoyer, not a lot of difference there. You won't be a consistent winner in this league with any of them.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Everyone making a big deal about what a bad move this is needs to maybe switch to decaf or something. This guy is going to get paid to hold a clipboard for a week or two at the most. He's about as much a "Texans QB" as Jake Delhomme was back in 2011.

Lots of stuff to pick on the Texans for where the offense (and particularly the QB position) is concerned but dressing Weeden up in a uniform to hold a clipboard isn't one of them.

Honestly though I wonder why Zac Dysert couldn't do that. It's not like Weeden is going to be in any way more effective after less than a week in our system. Regardless, NFL teams do this kind of crap all the time.

Insideop

All Pro
Everyone making a big deal about what a bad move this is needs to maybe switch to decaf or something. This guy is going to get paid to hold a clipboard for a week or two at the most. He's about as much a "Texans QB" as Jake Delhomme was back in 2011.

Lots of stuff to pick on the Texans for where the offense (and particularly the QB position) is concerned but dressing Weeden up in a uniform to hold a clipboard isn't one of them.

Honestly though I wonder why Zac Dysert couldn't do that. It's not like Weeden is going to be in any way more effective after less than a week in our system. Regardless, NFL teams do this kind of crap all the time.
I guess that's my question too. Does anybody know why they keep Dysert on the PS and bring in the other QB's to back up Hoyer? Is it just experience or is he a slow learner? Or is he just no good? I just wish they had kept Savage on the active roster instead of putting him on IR. We might know a lot more about him and if he's got any chance to be "the QB" or not.

WolverineFan

Hall of Fame
I guess that's my question too. Does anybody know why they keep Dysert on the PS and bring in the other QB's to back up Hoyer? Is it just experience or is he a slow learner? Or is he just no good? I just wish they had kept Savage on the active roster instead of putting him on IR. We might know a lot more about him and if he's got any chance to be "the QB" or not.
Somebody has to run the scout team. OB seems to prefer to have 2 QB's dressed and getting team reps during the week with a 3rd not dressing and running scout team.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
It's not about being angry at picking up Weeden, or whoever's available. It's about trying to get by with the likes of Fitzpatrick and Hoyer and not even trying to get you a franchise QB. I know nothing can be done about it now, but they need to get off their asses and draft a damn QB this coming April.

And BTW, who cares if a guy has game play experience if he sucks? Weeden, Yates, Hoyer, not a lot of difference there. You won't be a consistent winner in this league with any of them.
Yep! Just run to your local Walmart where they are $10 a dozen...

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!

Oh how soon we forget.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Yep! Just run to your local Walmart where they are $10 a dozen...
And that means what? If you're saying it doesn't matter at this point in the season who's brought in to back up Hoyer, you're right. Anybody that's available is pretty much in the $5 movie bin.

If you're talking about them finding a franchise QB through the draft instead of bringing in Hoyer's and Fitzpatrick's, well, how would any of us know when they don't try.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Oh how soon we forget.

No idea what you're talking about. I absolutely remember this. We're already at this point actually if you count Mallett being kicked to the curb. We're playing guys who weren't on our team and backing them up with a guy who won't be in another week. The difference is Schaub wasn't coming back that year and neither was Leinart. Hell, we could go get Leinart right now just for shits, giggles, and old times sake if we wanted. This year it's like we're down Savage and Mallett (he ain't coming back) but at least Hoyer will be back in another week most likely.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Just a little side thought. When was the last time the Texans added a street FA QB mid-season and, through injury, he wasn't pretty much immediately required to play?? I really can't recall, going all the way back to Delhomme and the likes, they always seem to see the field. :/

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Just a little side thought. When was the last time the Texans added a street FA QB mid-season and, through injury, he wasn't pretty much immediately required to play?? I really can't recall, going all the way back to Delhomme and the likes, they always seem to see the field. :/
The problem is while it's pretty easy to remember the ones that did play (Keenum, Del Homme), it's difficult (for understandable reasons) to remember the ones that didn't. Last year it was Thad Lewis. Back in the Del Homme days, it was Jeff Garcia.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I don't get why people are so angry about this pick up... there are NO good QBs available right now. Weeden actually has alot of game play experience this season, so I'm fine with it.
Fear. Fear that we will be forced to witness Weeden in a Texans uniform on an NFL field.

And this is why we fear. History tells us that it repeats itself...

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Fear. Fear that we will be forced to witness Weeden in a Texans uniform on an NFL field.

And this is why we fear. History tells us that it repeats itself...
We've seen Hoyer and Fitz in a Texans uniform on the field already. Nothing should scare us at this point. ;)

And on Delhomme, at least we had a quarterback that had Super Bowl exp. on the roster. All these qb's OB brought in have zero playoff exp.

Now that's scary. :yikes:

dream_team

Hall of Fame

That's a valid argument, but I don't see what that has to do with the Weeden pick up being discussed here??? Savage got injured. Hoyer is injured. Mallet was being a cry baby. We need someone to back up TJ. Anyone we pick up now isn't going to be good.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
We've seen Hoyer and Fitz in a Texans uniform on the field already. Nothing should scare us at this point. ;)

And on Delhomme, at least we had a quarterback that had Super Bowl exp. on the roster. All these qb's OB brought in have zero playoff exp.

Now that's scary. :yikes:
Not really. Every draft pick in the history of the NFl, including Manning, Elway, Luck all had no experience in the playoffs until they played that first game.

speedfreek

All Pro
When Weeden was at OSU my wife and I used to joke that his nickname was
"Smokin.."

We watch a lot of college football (Texas colleges) and whenever
they'd play OSU that nickname would be used exclusively..

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Somebody has to run the scout team. OB seems to prefer to have 2 QB's dressed and getting team reps during the week with a 3rd not dressing and running scout team.
That was originally my thoughts as well... then I got to thinking, it's a concussion. Unless they're concerned there may be serious damage, neck maybe...

This doesn't make sense. Tuggle or Bullough can play scout team QB for a week or two. Then you cut Dysert & put him back on the practice squad.

Marshall

Not pretty, but ALIVE!
Not at all. If the nameplate comes off, say "attached with velcro" then you're good to go!
I won't pay for overpriced jerseys (ie NFL Official Jerseys), but having one with the name BACKUP QB with the "number" ?? would be cool.

Nitrofish

Let The Big Fish Eat!
No idea what you're talking about. I absolutely remember this. We're already at this point actually if you count Mallett being kicked to the curb. We're playing guys who weren't on our team and backing them up with a guy who won't be in another week. The difference is Schaub wasn't coming back that year and neither was Leinart. Hell, we could go get Leinart right now just for shits, giggles, and old times sake if we wanted. This year it's like we're down Savage and Mallett (he ain't coming back) but at least Hoyer will be back in another week most likely.
My point was, we didn't expect Schaub to get injured. But ok, send in the backup. But we never expected to see Yates, especially in the backups first game. So there is a good chance we might actually see Weeden get on the field for the Texans based on our history. If it really was just a signing to hold the clipboard as you said, no one would bat an eye. But I think some of us fully expect Weeden to see some playing time just based on our luck.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
My point was, we didn't expect Schaub to get injured. But ok, send in the backup. But we never expected to see Yates, especially in the backups first game. So there is a good chance we might actually see Weeden get on the field for the Texans based on our history. If it really was just a signing to hold the clipboard as you said, no one would bat an eye. But I think some of us fully expect Weeden to see some playing time just based on our luck.
Can't rain (on the Texans) all the time.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
So you're saying there is a first time for everything?

Makes Sense to me.
It hasn't rained on the Texans all the time. We've had some great games and a couple of really nice seasons mixed in there. Sometimes I think we get so down about the bad things that we don't appreciate the successes. There haven't been as many as we would have liked. We haven't been the New England Patriots with their 12 (soon to be 13) straight seasons of double-digit wins but we've had some good games and caught some breaks every now and then.

It's dangerous I think to become too jaded as a fan. I've always thought that is what happened to Oilers fans over time. By the end of their run in Houston nothing would have bridged that divide between Houston and Bud Adams Oilers but a Super Bowl win. It's was "DO IT NOW OR GO AWAY" to a lot of people and the disillusionment was well earned by the team. I'm going to take my time getting to that point with the Texans because reaching that point at my age pretty much means the end of my football fandom.

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It hasn't rained on the Texans all the time. We've had some great games and a couple of really nice seasons mixed in there. Sometimes I think we get so down about the bad things that we don't appreciate the successes. There haven't been as many as we would have liked. We haven't been the New England Patriots with their 12 (soon to be 13) straight seasons of double-digit wins but we've had some good games and caught some breaks every now and then.

It's dangerous I think to become too jaded as a fan. I've always thought that is what happened to Oilers fans over time. By the end of their run in Houston nothing would have bridged that divide between Houston and Bud Adams Oilers but a Super Bowl win. It's was "DO IT NOW OR GO AWAY" to a lot of people and the disillusionment was well earned by the team. I'm going to take my time getting to that point with the Texans because reaching that point at my age pretty much means the end of my football fandom.
Too late for me. 35-3 jaded the eff out of me. I've never been the same fan since then. Something deep inside of me simply won't allow it. That game broke me like a piece of glass shattering into a thousand pieces.

At this point, being a fan of the Houston Texans feels something like Stockholm syndrome. Lacking any connection to our childhoods like we had with the Oilers, when we were young, naive, and delusional kids, and lacking any sort of significant success to bond with in a positive manner, it seems like my emotional connection to the Texans is a mixture of sadness, pity, and just feeling sorry for them and us as Houstonians. That, and boredom and a lifelong love of pro football. ;)

eriadoc

Texan-American
We haven't even been the Bengals.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Too late for me. 35-3 jaded the eff out of me. I've never been the same fan since then. Something deep inside of me simply won't allow it. That game broke me like a piece of glass shattering into a thousand pieces.

At this point, being a fan of the Houston Texans feels something like Stockholm syndrome. Lacking any connection to our childhoods like we had with the Oilers, when we were young, naive, and delusional kids, and lacking any sort of significant success to bond with in a positive manner, it seems like my emotional connection to the Texans is a mixture of sadness, pity, and just feeling sorry for them and us as Houstonians. That, and boredom and a lifelong love of pro football. ;)
That part about lacking a connection to our childhoods struck a note with me.

Does it ever seem to you like you're a hungry "Baby Rhesus Monkey" fan and you've been put in a giant publicly funded stadium with two "mothers". One is covered in fake Columbia Blue fur, smiles at you, and looks familiar but when you try to embrace it you get a sharp electrical shock and a slack-jawed-yokel voice shouts "THEM ARE OUR TENNESSEE TITANS! YOU GET BACK! HANDS OFF"

The other is made of Deep Steel Blue barbed wire and has a bottle of milk attached to it. "Football Time in Houston" softly plays in the background but its face looks strange and unfamiliar. When you try to get some milk you get poked by the barbs and it demands money while reassuring you that you're lucky to have a mother at all.

That's what being a Texans fan can be like to an Oiler fan sometimes. That's what I was thinking of.

Last edited: