Weaver to sell the Jags??

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Big B Texan Fan, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Big B Texan Fan

Big B Texan Fan Hall of Fame

2. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Not really a surprise...can't make too much money if no one is going to the games....But hey, good luck on the "SB before selling", maybe by then some people will show up?

3. jags98

jags98 Veteran

"Despite profit margin issues, it's doubtful Jags owner Wayne Weaver would ever move this franchise, or sell it anytime in the near future. When I brought up the subject of how long he intended to be an owner shortly before his 70th birthday in January, Weaver quickly replied: "I'm a young 70."

You can only hope L.A Jaguars :pigfly:

4. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

not sure about that.. I figure the vikes or colts are 1st in line.. the facts are : the nfl wants a team in LA and like I said rumors are the colts and vikes are 1st but if no one shows up in jacksonville to watch the games and the owner starts to lose money,well and business will do what it can to get money and that could me relocating.

5. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

It matters not to me, and probably most Texan fans, whether the Jags are in Jville or LaLa land.

Your quote only says he intends to remain an owner, he can still be the owner in LA.

Just do not delude yourself into thinking the Jags are different from any other club when it comes to "profit margin issues". Weaver is not in this as a hobby. If the money is in selling the team or moving it to LA then be prepared for the inevitable. :bomb:

PS Even Bud :howdy: was smart enough not to go to Jville with his team when he had the chance.

cac: :coffee:

6. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Ah, I wouldn't wish a NFL move on any city once they acquire a franchise, been there and it sucks.

I don't see the Vikes (new owner already stated they're staying there with a new stadium in the works) or Colts (not sure if their stadium bill is final...) I'm seeing more the Saints than any other team.

But in response to the original post, just got me thinking.. can you imagine the news when Bud sells off his team?

7. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

I thought there was family moving in to take over ... doesn't he have a son-in-law ready to step in and take the reins when his days are done?

8. jags98

jags98 Veteran

Is the thread not " Weaver to sell the Jags?"

9. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

Did you not say...

"When I brought up the subject of how long he intended to be an owner shortly before his 70th birthday in January, Weaver quickly replied: "I'm a young 70."

I responded to your quote, he can remain an owner in LA. :brickwall

Now, let me repeat myself.
    I couldnt care less if the Jags moved or not. :violin

cac: :coffee:

10. Don'tHate

Don'tHate Rookie

The Jags are not moving...plain and simple.Wayne love this city and has done so much for it. If he were to sell the team down the line, he wouldn't let anyone that would move it buy it.

11. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Great sentiment, but as a businessman, if the return on his investment isn't up to snuff, he will move. No matter how much he may like the litter box he has to make the money to pay the team and himself.

12. Big B Texan Fan

News flash Don'tHate:
    The NFL really wants a team in Nawlins' so I don't the Saints are marching/going anywhere, but I could be wrong.
    The Vikes are working up a new deal to get a new stadium now that they have a new owner so they aren't going anywhere, but I could be wrong.
    The Cardz, their new stadium is already being built. They aren't going anywhere. Which by the way, if you haven't seen what is gonna look like go check it out on their website, it's pretty cool.
    The only team for sale that isn't gonna get a new stadium is the jags.
    They could very well be the L.A. Aristo-catz in a couple of years.

13. JustBonee

JustBonee Hall of Fame

No, we've never heard anything like that before. :rolleyes: .. politicians and NFL team owners! They aren't in it for the love.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

It would be a big boost for the Texans and our whole division if one of the
    other teams in our division would relocate to the LA metro area. As it is, we
    are in a division which, after us, has very small markets and the opportunity
    to annually play twice and develope a rivalry with a team from what is the nations #2 market (and also the #2 media center) would give the Texans an opportunity to elevate the teams national recognition factor big time.

15. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

After reading the article that the Jags are 3mil short on their payment to Jville city....on top of tarping seats and numerous blackouts in a small market...makes me believe that there may be some credence to the LA talk. I do agree that the NFL will try all possible to keep the Saints in New Orleans, Colts have approval for a new barn and Vikes are rooted in Minny (according to their new owner) so.....who does that leave to consider? :)

Weaver may love Jville Don't Hate, but he loves the greenbacks even more.

16. Don'tHate

Don'tHate Rookie

I don't understand why all of you are so hellbent on the Jags moving...guess without us in the AFC south...you have a better chance of going up...and go ahead and bring up that you guys sweeped us last year, I know it will happen. but we were the team with winning record last season.

17. swisher

swisher Old School

Since you brought it up...we swept you last year.

18. Big B Texan Fan

They would also stay in the AFC south.

19. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

I remember living in denial also! NO WAY would Bud ever move the Oilers! He lives in Houston, owns a business in Houston, very involved in everything HOUSTON! NOOOOOOOOO!!!! He would NEVER do anything like that! He loves the fans too much, loves Houston too much, etc, etc, etc, etc!! The rest is HISTORY!!

Deny, argue, fight, stick your head in all that sand you have in J-ville, do whatever suits you, BUT, be prepared to have your heart broken!! MONEY talks in the NFL, pure and simple! Your owner forks over the big bucks, or J-ville Jags will no longer exist!

20. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Yeah, the Vikes are off the list of potentials. Sounds like they have a classy owner that listens to the fans (... sounds familiar.)