Weary the Starter

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Runner, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Out of the doghouse and onto the field. I think this is great news - has it been discussed somewhere and I just missed it?

I know teams frequently rotate d-lineman; how many teams rotate o-lineman?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2839&section=N%20Latest%20News

2. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

I think that's great news, hadn't heard it as of yet. Weary was a new man this pre-season, and I'm glad Kubiak continued to show the approach of giving the job to who's earned it with their play. McKinney's not going to take this lightly, I imagine he's really going to try and step up his game to reclaim that starting spot....which can only make us better anyways. Big props to Weary, hopefully he carries his pre-season performance into the regular season. :twocents:

3. AUSTexan

AUSTexan Rookie

Yeah, I read that a few minutes ago too. I think it's great - Wearly has looked tremendous all pre-season and is a run blocking beast. We'll need his best against the Eagles DL!

4. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'd like to thank all the folks who told me I didn't know what I was talking about when I said I thought Weary had shown me he could play over the years....I won't name any names but *cough* *cough* *sescoyote* *cough* *cough*, I remember you.

5. Runner

It'll be interesting to see how Milford Brown does in Arizona this year too. I think they have a scheme that suits him.

6. AUSTexan

AUSTexan Rookie

Yeah I'm curious about that, too. They need the help over there almost as much as we do.

7. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

Didn't McKinney stated not to long ago that he did not like being a back up?

8. AUSTexan

AUSTexan Rookie

Yes he did... I suspect that's why Kubiak keeps talking about having "3 starters", and talking about an OL rotation... I think he's trying to soften the blow to good old mckinney.

9. So Weary has taken what...5 years now to crack the starting lineup, and only when the starter hasn't seen much playing time due to unjury. Tsk tsk tsk, Vinny, you can do better than that. Geez, you've had Carr on a short leash for so long and Weary gets a new slate to work from because of a new coaching staff? Weary's had plenty of time to learn behind veterans while riding the pine, now's his chance. And like I said earlier this year, even Weary gets a clean slate with this new coaching staff. I've rided Weary probably more than anyone, but he gets a new judgement in this new regime, and honestly, he played well in the preseason. My eyes will be on him during this game.

Here's all the comments I've made about Weary:

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

a little sensitive aren't we?

11. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

ill eat a small portion of crow and admit that I was dogging on Weary last year and said that I didnt think he had what it took to be any more than a career backup.

I wouldnt say he has entirely proven me wrong yet :D..but he has definatly called my opinion in to question.

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The Texans O-line consisting of Weary , Brown and McKinney did give up 68 sacks last season .... Im glad to see the changes made thus far .... as for Weary he has looked good so far ..... is he an upgrade over McKinney , im not sure , but I do expect to see this team give up far fewer sacks this season than in any of the past simply because of the offensive scheme overall . :twocents:

Runner likes this.
  13. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Anyone still wondering why we sucked last year? Look at that draft...its a disgrace to the proffesion of General Managers that after 3 years you only have two guys from a draft class still on your team...
    Then look at this years draft and smile.

14. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

This is the final straw. I am now absolutely convinced without reservation
    that Kubiak will turn the Texans into a consistant winner ! It may take a couple years to get there, and I don't think we'll do it this year, but its inevitable under Kubiak, GM Smith, & Co.
    I was quite surprised by the release of Wand (not so much that Spencer was named the starter), and even more surprised by the other outright release of Robaire.
    This move was not stunning to me like the other 2, but just one more indication that Kubiak will play the guy who performs the best on the field now, regardless of the players Draft position, current compensation, or previous performances on the field.

15. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

I do not mind at all who is the starter... Mckinney is a little old and banged up anyway, even though I always thought he was our best o linemen, he was always consistent and always in the lineup...but thats not always a complement if your talking about the texans lineup.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Kubiak/Sherman have done a nice job on the O-line this year. It's now time to produce! The only question left in my mind is Weigert. I'm not sold on him yet. I don't know why and I very well could be wrong on feeling badly about him. Can somebody make me feel better about him being our starting RT? Please.:hides:

17. LOL. No....ya. :crutch:

18. Runner

He'll do OK ..... until he gets hurt.

Did that help?

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

LOL...Not a whole lot but thanks for trying:) . I guess we're going to find out come Sunday.

20. pittbull

pittbull All Pro

I thought Weary looked average on run blocking, but his pass protection was suspect. There was alot of things happeing on the right side of the line, and he has his share of blame. I would rather have McKinney over there with expereice, even though Weary has an edge in athletically!