We were 3-4 when Watson was hurt...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ColeThornton, Nov 12, 2017.

1. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

And the three teams we had beaten were Cincinnati, Tennessee and Cleveland who collectively are 9-18. So once again, even with a great QB the only thing Bill O'Brien's Texan's could do was take out the trash just like Bill O'Brien's Texan's have always done. Before you point out we were without a couple of key players on defense, I would point out we were better with Watson even without those players, yet the results were the same.

Unfortunately, from what I'm hearing in the local sports media we may have lost more with the loss of Watson than just this season. It sounds like his injury has given O'Brien a free pass and nothing he can do going forward will threaten his job. So the same guy who had a losing record with Watson for seven games this year will be back next year so we can do it all over again.

And remember this is the quarterback whisperer. The guy who told us we should be proud of Mallet and Hoyer, the guy who wasted an entire preseason getting Savage ready because he thought he was better than Watson. I get so tired of seeing our team held back by the front office and coaching.

ATXtexanfan and TheKDog like this.
  2. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

The secondary has been bad and will continue to be so. However, with Watson starting we lost a nail biter in NE, a close game to KC, and a nail biter to Seattle. With Savage at the helm we lose at home only putting up 7 points via the offense against the worst secondary in the league, and put up 7 points on offense when our defense was actually holding it to a close game. And Savage gave them the ball back 3 times. Your argument is crap.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Right now, the Texans are a crap team no matter how you describe it or what part you lay the blame on. We'll be better next year. Before the injuries start again and we're back to being crap. I wanted to see the Texans win a Super Bowl and mankind find proof of life elsewhere before I die. I figure I'm just going to have to settle on the Astros and keep watching NASA missions.

4. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

The bottom line is once again we couldn't beat the good teams and the only teams we could beat were 9-18, and that was with finally a good QB. The only reason O'Brien has done anything in the NFL is because he's coached in the AFC South. If he had been in a good division he wouldn't have lasted this long. I'm glad your excited about losing close games to good teams... I'm not.

TxnsJuggernaut likes this.
  5. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

If we lose out which is not out of the question at this point do they bring Obrien back as a lame duck with one year left on his contract?

6. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

That was the point of my post, I think Watson getting injured has helped O'Brien keep his job. Even though he started Savage over him and had a losing record with him, the Texans now have yet another excuse for O'Brien... and Smith for that matter.

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

Smith is invincible so he will never get fired, but Obrien has the excuse of the injuries to the main guys or will he say **** it and resign.

8. Belichick Fan

Belichick Fan Analytic Yankee Panda

I would say that Watson's amazing play as a rookie is what saved his job. OB should get some credit for adjusting the scheme based on Watson's skill-set. There is no guarantee that Watson would have put up numbers that amazing without OB's system. Consider how much worse Matt Ryan looks when he got a new OC.

I agree that OB has shown some weaknesses in his game management. How much better or worse do you think he is relative to the average NFL coach? I see many good coaches making similar mistakes.

9. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

He is a 9-7 coach in the AFC South, that makes him a 5-11 coach in the best division a 6-10 coach in a good division and 7-9 coach in an average division. He's kept his job because the AFC South has been "historically" weak and now ironically injuries are the best thing that could have happened as far as his keeping his job. The path they were on(3-4 and losing to Jv at home), this could have been the year he couldn't even win the AFC South...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    O'Boy, yet another thread to let us know the Texans suck

11. Belichick Fan

I mean in terms of game management decisions. Is he that much worse at things like clock management, risk assessment, game planning, etc? I used to think he was a above average coach on all that stuff, and I have cooled off on him. But I don't think he is totally terrible relative to the field.

There can be a ton of factors for 3-4. I was just trying to isolate one set of them.

12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Wherever I was, I was more than likely drunk
    can you show that math?

13. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

So much of coaching can be subjective, gray area etc... Clock management is black and white, it's a concise part of coaching that should completely be the responsibility of the head coach. I think O'Brien has been horrible in this area, the most recent example was the end of the Colt's game, which may have cost his team the game. It certainly took away more chances to win it.

14. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

The Texans need baseball minds. Maybe then they'll have a clue.

steelbtexan likes this.
  15. Belichick Fan

I agree he has been making mistakes, and I have been disappointed with him. I am asking you if he is making mistakes at a higher rate than the average NFL coach. I am not sure he is.

Even a very good coach such as Andy Reid is well know for his bad clock management. Pete Carol totally botched his game vs. the Skins. Todd Bowles has often punted in situations where the only reasonable chance to win is to go for it on 4th. Jason Garrett blew his game vs. Green Bay. NFL coaches generally make the type of mistakes you are complaining about.

16. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

I don't believe my posts about O'Brien was based on "particular" mistakes. I pointed out clock management as per your request and I do think he is well below average in this regard. I also think he is a poor evaluator of talent, based on the players we have lost and the fact that as I mentioned he went with Savage to start this season instead of Watson. How in the world could he have spent an off season with these guys and not know which one was better. It's not like it was even close, Watson came in and was "immediately" better even without all the preparation Savage had. But the bottom line for any head coach is who you can beat and who you can't. The best win O'Brien has had was against the Cincinnati Bengals at home... the Bengals. Now you keep asking about the "average NFL coach". I'm not saying he's the worse coach in the league, but if the goal is "average" he may be your guy.

17. ColeThornton

ColeThornton Rookie

I'll try. At 3-4 they won 42.8% of their games, on that path that would be 6.8 wins for the season. Round it up to 7 wins and the last time the AFC South was won at 7-9 was.... never.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

I’d still let OB go after this year. I’m just not a fan of his work.

19. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

Don't bother. He just called me a troll and he knows better. Phuk him.

JB likes this.
  20. Belichick Fan

If you are trying to project what happens if Watson does not go down, I think it is better to do a game by game estimate. The teams you folks lost in your first 4 were quality teams.

Texas Jake and Texansphan like this.