Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We should do pretty well next season. (I know, cliche.)

Mangler

Toro de España
With a healthy Watson, Watt, and Mercilus returning, we should be able to do really well next season. Especially if Rick Smith decides to participate in Free Agency this off-season. If we’re able to pick up a decent CB, S, and hopefully do whatever it takes to get a good tackle in the building, I feel we should be able to go deep into the playoffs and maybe play in the AFC championship ship game.

That’s not even taking the one or two guys that end up being a hit via draft or UDFA. Rick Smith has managed to get us a few good UDFA players before, hopefully he hits again. At least we have THAT to look forward to, right?

Scooter

Funky
If we can return those three to health all season, along with relative health elsewhere, while spend our draft and FA on building a real offensive line - even O'Brien couldn't screw it up.

Mangler

Toro de España
If we can return those three to health all season, along with relative health elsewhere, while spend our draft and FA on building a real offensive line - even O'Brien couldn't screw it up.
As long as Watson ignores O'Brien in the final minutes of the fourth quarter with the game on the line, or we'll have more games like the ones in Gillette and Centurylink.

bigmck

Rookie
With a healthy Watson, Watt, and Mercilus returning, we should be able to do really well next season. Especially if Rick Smith decides to participate in Free Agency this off-season. If we’re able to pick up a decent CB, S, and hopefully do whatever it takes to get a good tackle in the building, I feel we should be able to go deep into the playoffs and maybe play in the AFC championship ship game.

That’s not even taking the one or two guys that end up being a hit via draft or UDFA. Rick Smith has managed to get us a few good UDFA players before, hopefully he hits again. At least we have THAT to look forward to, right?
I hate to say it but you can forget about the JJ Watt that we all knew and loved. He will be average at best. Maybe not play again. Merry Christmas.......

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Free agency is no guarantee. See Osweiler and Jeff Allen.

As long as Rick and obrien are building the roster, I don't think we'll be good

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
The Houston Texans would likely be exciting to watch and a playoff team if we had a healthy Watson and Watt. Not to mention Mercilus. Maybe in 2018 we'll be something worth watching. But it seems like we're saying the same thing every year with this team. I'd rather see it on the field and not all of this "what could be" talk. The other three pro teams in this city are getting it done where it counts. But the Texans are all talk and no action.

I'm skeptical as long as Bob McNair remains the owner of this team. I think he hurt any real chance we had of signing any good free agents with his dumb inmate comments. So even with some decent cap space to play with in free agency this off-season, I don't think we'll land anybody that we want to.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
If you mean the Texans will float back to mediocrity...6-10 to 9-7, then yes that will be "pretty good"...as usual.
The potential is there to be a 12-4 or 11-5 team that's capable of reaching the AFC Championship Game, if not Super Bowl, if you had a healthy Watson, Watt and Mercilus in 2018.

We would just need to plug in a few holes (upgrades) on the offensive line and secondary. But all of that is wishful thinking because we don't have any high draft picks in the upcoming draft (not until round three) and free agency is looking rather dim for us in the off-season.

If we had signed Colin Kaepernick I think we could have looked better in the eyes of the NFLPA. It couldn't have hurt our image, on and off the field. And maybe we could have still signed some good free agents moving forward.

I just don't have any faith in Bob McNair's ownership right now. Without great ownership it's difficult to envision a successful team. It all starts at the top with every successful organization.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I think Watt will still be better than your normal above average DE, but he won't be Watt. A healthy Mercilus and Clowney with a Watt that won't be quite what he was is still pretty damned formidable.
I think he is just gonna have to face mortality and assume a more traditional style DE game - just sealing the edge, stuffing the run and beating the line occasionally.
He can still be good, just not as disruptive as in his heyday.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur

True, no guarantee, but if you're gonna point out the bad examples, you must also point out the good ones - see Foster, Lechler and JJoe.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Watt and Watson won't be the same, and with so many needs and few good draft picks, I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

PapaL

Loose Screw
I think Watt will still be better than your normal above average DE, but he won't be Watt. A healthy Mercilus and Clowney with a Watt that won't be quite what he was is still pretty damned formidable.
With the way Clowney has been playing without JJ, I’m running the defense off of Clowney until JJ proves he’s the player he was.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
One thing this time we are blooding so many young guys will achieve is some great depth next season.
We get 6 starters back next year unless they cut some of them so we should be in decent shape unless lady luck frowns on us with the injury bug again.
Even third stringers will be getting better quality snaps in practice/training.
We should have enough depth to possibly trade one or two for an olineman or two next season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
One thing this time we are blooding so many young guys will achieve is some great depth next season.
We get 6 starters back next year unless they cut some of them so we should be in decent shape unless lady luck frowns on us with the injury bug again.
Even third stringers will be getting better quality snaps in practice/training.
We should have enough depth to possibly trade one or two for an olineman or two next season.
Taed Karras is looking good at C. He's a natural OG, will be a FA next offseason. XSF/Allen Replacement.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I sure hope we hang on the Bruce Ellington. That guy's been a life saver for this team with Fuller being in and out of the lineup with injuries. He was a heck of a find.
He came in and played well from the get go for us.
Surprisingly shifty too.

hradhak

Veteran
I'd like to see at least 3 or maybe 4 new OL thru free agency and the draft.

This team needs to address it at some point. It will help alleviate the pressure on Watson and give them a decent run game

I don't think watt will be the pre back injury watt but mercilus and clowney will be pretty stellar

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Even without knowing what the Texans do in the offseason, and pending everyone comes back healthy... we should be a legit Super Bowl contender next season. Wouldn't surprise me if we have the 3rd best odds to represent the AFC (after NE & PIT).

badboy

Hall of Fame
I sure hope we hang on the Bruce Ellington. That guy's been a life saver for this team with Fuller being in and out of the lineup with injuries. He was a heck of a find.
We have cap to pay him and he has to want to play with Watson, 5 and Hopkins; don't see him going elsewhere.

True, no guarantee, but if you're gonna point out the bad examples, you must also point out the good ones - see Foster, Lechler and JJoe.

I will throw in Ellington, LB Cole, Lamar Houston and Mancz.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
We have cap to pay him and he has to want to play with Watson, 5 and Hopkins; don't see him going elsewhere.
I see our 3 spot as being a pretty lucrative gig. You can be the 3rd WR on a team and hardly get looked at in some places but I think with the Texans the 3rd spot is almost like being "2b" or something because if you think about it Fuller is getting his TD's and yards in big chunks which tends to leave opportunities for other WR's to move the chains. Fuller is more like the deep dagger to the heart than the guy who gets the first down for you with an 8-10 yard catch. He's not terribly durable and there are going to be stretches where we miss him and someone will have to take up the slack. It's really an offense where the 3 can shine and maybe parlay it into a with a team looking for a free agent WR down the road. I think it's a great spot for him to show the league he's past his earlier injury problems as well.

PapaL

Loose Screw
Even without knowing what the Texans do in the offseason, and pending everyone comes back healthy... we should be a legit Super Bowl contender next season. Wouldn't surprise me if we have the 3rd best odds to represent the AFC (after NE & PIT).
Plus we'll play a much easier schedule; i.e. not a first place schedule. I'm thinking we'll more than likely end up 3rd in our division.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Plus we'll play a much easier schedule; i.e. not a first place schedule. I'm thinking we'll more than likely end up 3rd in our division.
If we screw around and finish above the colts, we’ll get the Bengals (more than likely) at home and either the chargers or raiders over there. The broncos suck and will finish last.

The nfc east will not be easy to navigate though.

Secondary and oline need to get better and this team will win lots of games next year hopefully

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see at least 3 or maybe 4 new OL thru free agency and the draft.

This team needs to address it at some point. It will help alleviate the pressure on Watson and give them a decent run game

I don't think watt will be the pre back injury watt but mercilus and clowney will be pretty stellar
Not much to address it with; three thirds about 520 points or 8th in second round. We don't know all info yet but there is not much quality that we need in that range so far. Some players should get disappointing feedback and return school. It is good year if team has no pick til third round. Throw in Watson and I'm cool. I expect an OG similar to what Texans thought they were getting with Allen to replace S'ua Fila. Probably a Clark type OT if not himself. Never thought I'd say that.

Thorsson

Waterboy
The big question mark next season will be: Can Watson stay healthy?

Watson may have to change his game a bit. One, because of the injury, and two, because there is now plenty of film on the rookie.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not much to address it with; three thirds about 520 points or 8th in second round. We don't know all info yet but there is not much quality that we need in that range so far. Some players should get disappointing feedback and return school. It is good year if team has no pick til third round. Throw in Watson and I'm cool. I expect an OG similar to what Texans thought they were getting with Allen to replace S'ua Fila. Probably a Clark type OT if not himself. Never thought I'd say that.
It's a good yr for OL.

If a guy like Crosby or that dude from Central Michigan fall into the 2nd rd, use a 2019 pick along with your 3rd to go up and get him. You can find a good RT in the 3rd in this draft. Crabtree/Tuley Tillman etc....

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The big question mark next season will be: Can Watson stay healthy?

Watson may have to change his game a bit. One, because of the injury, and two, because there is now plenty of film on the rookie.
The big question for every NFL team every year is always if players can stay healthy. The NFL is often a war of attrition to the playoffs.

I have no doubt that Watson has the talent and capacity to adapt. The Seahawks defense had film on him and he didn't miss a beat.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It's a good yr for OL.

If a guy like Crosby or that dude from Central Michigan fall into the 2nd rd, use a 2019 pick along with your 3rd to go up and get him. You can find a good RT in the 3rd in this draft. Crabtree/Tuley Tillman etc....
Trey Adams, Andre Dillard, Connor McDermott, Martez Ivey, Mitch Hyatt (has been projected to Texans) and Brock Ruble are underclassmen none predicted to go higher than mid second round. If even one returns and I think Dillard and McDermott prob will, it is even worse.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
With our luck I highly doubt it.
Is it luck that a guy with a history of ACL injuries blows out his ACL, or a guy is drafted with a broken foot blows out his Achilles? Especially when our own CnD said he needed surgery, but the Texans organization decided to let the foot heal naturally?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Is it luck that a guy with a history of ACL injuries blows out his ACL, or a guy is drafted with a broken foot blows out his Achilles? Especially when our own CnD said he needed surgery, but the Texans organization decided to let the foot heal naturally?

We have always drafted or signed (FA) these injury prone players. I never liked it but it's apart of the game right.

Mangler

Toro de España
not only did he not miss a beat, he freakin torched em.
The wife and I had a night out on the town after we left Centurylink and people constantly came up to us and said “great game” and proceeded to praise Deshaun Watson. Although we lost, it felt good to hear people actually talking good about our quarterback instead of the old “If y’all had a quarterback” bs we always got. The crowd at the stadium was also nice and welcoming, I was pleasantly surprised.

Insideop

All Pro
The wife and I had a night out on the town after we left Centurylink and people constantly came up to us and said “great game” and proceeded to praise Deshaun Watson. Although we lost, it felt good to hear people actually talking good about our quarterback instead of the old “If y’all had a quarterback” bs we always got. The crowd at the stadium was also nice and welcoming, I was pleasantly surprised.
I wonder how the people would have been if their team would have lost! :thinking: