We need a Champion Vet here in HOU

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Jan 22, 2013.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Is this team at a point where vets would want to come in the hopes of contending? There are some pretty good FA vets out there this year I would like to see one of these guys here to help our defense. The key thing is to get a guy who has something in the tank and has Championship experience to help our locker room as much as he helps on the field too.

Has to be guys willing to take vet min so it is complete guess work on guys that fit that request.

ILB Larry Foote (32yrs old) had 113 total tackles 2012 still playing at a high level PIT doesn't look like they are bringing him back if we could get him at Vet Min. Would you guys be intrested? Remember he would be only a 2 down player.

NT Casey Hampton (35yrs old)as a. run down player

S Ed Reed (34 yrs old)would be interesting as our dime DB but I think he will be way to expensive for back up.

S Ronde Barber (37yrs old) 2012 had 91 tackles 1 sack 4 ints still can play as a safety.

You guys think of any other possible candidates?

2. Scooter

Scooter Funky

a superbowl winner is always a welcome addition, and there's no such thing as too much veteran leadership. on your list larry foote makes the most sense. foote has slowed down quite a bit, but still does everything well and would be exceptional depth in our weakest area. hampton would also be a great piece since we're not a NT dependent team, if he was cheap and available. reed and barber i see retiring with their respective teams.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

Pack might not bring back Charles Woodson

Urlacher is a FA this year. He's slowed up a little and they've brought in new coaches so he might walk or retire. He's a fan of Arian and buddies with Manning, lol.

Also, James Harrison most likely won't be back with the Steelers next season.(salary/age)

4. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

I think Woodson would be a good signing. Urlacher with age and injury history maybe not.

5. Scooter

Scooter Funky

urlacher would certainly be interesting. it seems he's lost favor in chicago and had very little positive to say even before the lovie smith firing. assuming health, he's still one of the most complete ILB's playing and would be an absolutely perfect match beside cushing. i'm sure it's fantasy land, but if we could attain foote for vet minimum and urlacher for 3/10mil we would (along with a late draft pick or two) turn our weakest link into dominance on defense while giving resources to retooling the offense.

6. Goodwrench3

Goodwrench3 Meh.

Urlacher is a good idea

7. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

$$$ is an issue.

8. silentassassin

silentassassin Veteran

Let's not lose sight of this. It was a theme last offseason, and it will certainly be a big theme for the next few.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Put down the bong if you believe any of those guys is signing for vet minimum.

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

More like a crackpipe really.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

No doubt. As nice as it can be to daydream about vets like that coming to Houston, the reality is that it's not going to happen.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

The only person who might come here for vet minimum would possiblhy be Foote, but I doubt some team transitioning to the the 3-4 wouldn't throw a couple of mil on top of that.

13. Rey

Rey Guest

You want Ed reed...Ed reed...

Ed reed....

To come here to come off the bench.....

....as a dime back????

:Mcnugget:

14. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd rather see a trade of pick + maybe Tate to get a younger player stuck behind a starter not going anywhere like Myers.

15. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

While we can never measure intangibles such as knopwing how to win, for any of this type of player to max out his value, he need to have tangible on the field abilility to play.

I mean Bradie James (not a superbowl winner, i know) is high character, football intelligent dude, but does not enough tangible football skill where his leadership, knowledge of the defense, etc matters.

Also, I have always believed that veteran leadership matters more when a guy has spent a good part of his career with a team.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I put those things down minutes ago, and I'm still not seeing it.

17. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #BattleFightin

I want younger players not near cripples!

18. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I don't give a damn who they pick up, as long as whoever it is helps bring home a trophy. Old guy, young guy, first female in the NFL, it won't matter if they parade that trophy downtown.

19. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

You still have one bottle on each hand, but I guess you never notice them. :brando:

20. AJ-80

AJ-80 Veteran

He's not an old guy, but what are the chances that we land Wes Welker? I know he doesn't really fit into our system but just throwing out there.