Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We have the dough!!!

I've heard the question a million times. A better one would be behind the Terrell Davis Broncos lines. Dallas/Houck ran a designed power run scheme. Sanders' improvisational cutting style seems better suited to ZBS.

He never had a problem following traffic through the play when it was there, like for instance at OSU where he improvised to further the play after it's initial gain from design. Sanders improvised with Lions to do anything he could to create room, even from the backfield.

But the point should only really be a positive about Sanders should he have had a better offense around him for all of his natural talents. Shame Emmitt has to take the hit because they're contemporaries and the contrast in surrounding talent was so stark. Really shouldn't up and take away from how incredible Smith was for himself.

Last edited:
Wasn't taking anything away from Sanders and didn't say he couldn't work a power scheme. Said his best fit might have been ZBS behind for instance Gibbs' great Denver o-lines.

People have a bit of a misconception about those Dallas OLs. Sure they blasted some highlight reel holes. But that was hardly the case all the time. Exactly on the current discussion except while both were playing, a commentator threw out (I can vouch he said this but not that he was correct), "Barry gets 2/3rds of his yardage before 1st contact and 1/3rd after. Emmitt is the exact opposite, 1/3rd before and 2/3rds after." That was part of the debate of the day on who was better.

Wasn't taking anything away from Sanders and didn't say he couldn't work a power scheme. Said his best fit might have been ZBS behind for instance Gibbs' great Denver o-lines.

People have a bit of a misconception about those Dallas OLs. Sure they blasted some highlight reel holes. But that was hardly the case all the time. Exactly on the current discussion except while both were playing, a commentator threw out (I can vouch he said this but not that he was correct), "Barry gets 2/3rds of his yardage before 1st contact and 1/3rd after. Emmitt is the exact opposite, 1/3rd before and 2/3rds after." That was part of the debate of the day on who was better.

Sanders had to run backwards an awful lot to make space to go forward. I think he made much more than 1/3 yac. Agree that he would have been amazing behind a Gibbs line even more than a Houck line

Sanders had to run backwards an awful lot to make space to go forward. I think he made much more than 1/3 yac.

They had a graphic with the real numbers up behind them. Won't pretend to remember those.

Now that you jog my memory, part of the discussion was over how much of Sanders', let's call them preparatory yards, were necessary and how much was looking for a homerun. Basically should he have taken more 5 yd runs instead of a 0 a -3 and then a 20.

Reactions: JB
Barry would’ve excelled in any blocking scheme & He only did that kind of cutting when he had to...when there was a hole, he shot through it.

if he’d played behind Dallas’ o-line, he would’ve obliterated the all time rushing record & Dallas probably wins at least 1 more SB.
True. Sanders was incredible. He would have also been a phenom running out of the single-wing.

Makes too much sense. In true Texan style though they will resign Tyler Ervin for 5 years because he had a good couple practices.

Back