Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We have NEVER beat a winning team on road in Kub era??

D-Frank

Waterboy
According to AJ Burge at examiner.com said we havent beatin a "winning" team on the road in Kub era...I couldnt BELIEVE that!. That makes this game more urgent for me as a fan. I wanna start beating "winning" teams on the road, but beleive it or not I will still Love my team regardless of how our year goes.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-7...d-figuratively

(The Texans are 1-6 all time at Nashville and Gary Kubiak has never won there.

Which reminds me, before I get to the reason I'm writing this - injuries - let me ask you all a question.

What is Gary Kubiak's signature win on the road as a head coach?

Most of you will answer Green Bay last season. I'd probably agree, it was a good win in very cold weather, but it was over a team that finished 6-10.

Some of you will answer Carolina in 2007. That's fine too. But it was over a team that finished 7-9 that season.

There aren't many choices left since Kubiak's Texans have only won six games on the road in three years. Your remaining choices are victories over a 2-14 Raiders team in 2006, a 4-12 Raiders team in 2007, an 8-8 Jags team in 2006, and a 4-12 Browns team last season.)

Considering the overall record on the road in Kubiak's first three years was 6-18, I don't see how this comes as a shock to anybody, nor do I believe it would make anyone feel much better about the Texans on the road if one or even two of those six victories had come against winning teams.

The Texans have been awful on the road their entire existence, and the last three years haven't changed that a bit. Forget winning teams - I'd be happy if we could beat the below average teams on the road consistently, and continue to go 6-2 at home (Actually I'd be ecstatic!)

Some of you will answer Carolina in 2007. That's fine too. But it was over a team that finished 7-9 that season.

not disagreeing with the overall point but that was a good panthers team. they wouldve won alot more than 7 games with jake delhomme (pre-suckiness ;))instead of HWSNBN (who really played terribly for them before being benched for matt moore (a rookie late round pick)

The road wins that stand out to me are the one in Chicago in single-digit temps,. the one vs. Carolina, and the one vs. the Tacks. Also, didn't we beat the Jags one year to knock them out of the playoffs? I think they finished 8-8, which means they weren't a winning team, but they were when we played them. That might have been a home win, though.

The road wins that stand out to me are the one in Chicago in single-digit temps,. the one vs. Carolina, and the one vs. the Tacks. Also, didn't we beat the Jags one year to knock them out of the playoffs? I think they finished 8-8, which means they weren't a winning team, but they were when we played them. That might have been a home win, though.

To me this says in Texans young existence, much less under Kubiak, there is no signature rod win.

Considering the overall record on the road in Kubiak's first three years was 6-18, I don't see how this comes as a shock to anybody, nor do I believe it would make anyone feel much better about the Texans on the road if one or even two of those six victories had come against winning teams.

The Texans have been awful on the road their entire existence, and the last three years haven't changed that a bit. Forget winning teams - I'd be happy if we could beat the below average teams on the road consistently, and continue to go 6-2 at home (Actually I'd be ecstatic!)

Excellent point. I'm with you on that one.

Forget winning teams - I'd be happy if we could beat the below average teams on the road consistently, and continue to go 6-2 at home (Actually I'd be ecstatic!)

Yeah, that's how I feel. I don't really care that there hasn't been a "signature" road win. We've won a few road games that I didn't expect to be wins, so whatever. The road games that stick out to me the most are the ones that got away - the Raiders, the Ravens, the Jags game that we had and let get away .....

Actually, I just remembered ... the signature road win is the one vs. SF - the Mario Bowl.

:D (they won the game, we won the draft pick, lol)

Had they won 4 in a row, starting with the Texans, they would have been in.

Last edited:
To me this says in Texans young existence, much less under Kubiak, there is no signature rod win.
Dom Capers had bigger road wins than Kubiak. Pittsburgh, in year 1. Miami, in year 2. Knocking the Jags out of the playoffs in '04.

Dom Capers had bigger road wins than Kubiak. Pittsburgh, in year 1. Miami, in year 2. Knocking the Jags out of the playoffs in '04.

True, but really how much of that reflects on the coaching? Pittsburgh in 2002 was a one man show by Aaron Glenn. We set an NFL record for the lowest offensive yards in a winning effort. Miami, but for Matt Stevens pulling off Ricky's shoe as he missed a tackle we probably lose that game. I'm drawing a blank on the '04 Jags game (although wasn't it one where DD just went off?) but my point is those kind of games don't really show Capers as a good, better or heck anything coach. They just happened. Now an overall trend like Kubiak only winning 2 road games per year is not a just happened thing. Somehow he has to turn that goat around.

...but my point is those kind of games don't really show Capers as a good, better or heck anything coach. They just happened.
I'm certainly not suggesting that Capers was a good coach. I would say that, on occasion, Capers could get his teams to play over their heads. To overachieve. I can't remember that happening with Gary Kubiak's teams.

Maybe that trend turns around today?

I'm certainly not suggesting that Capers was a good coach. I would say that, on occasion, Capers could get his teams to play over their heads. To overachieve. I can't remember that happening with Gary Kubiak's teams.

Maybe that trend turns around today?

And we still haven't cause the Tacks are 0-2!!!!!:kingkong:
It's still possible for the Titans to finish the '09 season with a winning record. And that's the criteria, the record of the opponent at the end of the season.

Did the Texans overachieve, today? I don't know. I think they came close to realizing their talent. When they play smarter, everything could come together.

Back