Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We had two WR's

DatTexBoy

Waterboy
Are they seeing something we don't...I thought both Reggie Swinton and Sloan Thomas did enough to make the squad but then I figured we feel comfortable with what we have...then I come across this on ProSportsDaily.com :challenge

Former Patriots receiver P.K. Sam worked out for the Texans yesterday morning in Houston. Reached by phone just before boarding a plane to Boston, Sam said he felt the workout went well, though he didn't have a contract offer by the afternoon . . .

What is going on with this organization? :confused: Am I missing something here? :tomato:

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I questioned that too when I saw it. I had the same question basically. Now why did we get rid of two WR just to try out another one? I don't know.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
We figured Mathis could return kicks and Buchannon could return Punts....on Thomas, tell me who signed him?

Vinny

shiny happy fan
Looks like we looked elsewhere for WR's after we cut him. I doubt it now....possible though.

jmerog

Waterboy
it's difficult to understand why Corey Bradford is putting on a football uniform instead of a bellhop's uniform. or even better-I'll bet he would make an outstanding rikshaw puller ( i hear he's reeeeal fast)

I would definitly keep Swinton or Thomas over bradford. Swinton over Thomas

the 2 best things they could do for the team would be to cut bradford and palmer. Don't even get me started on palmer... :brickwall

GO TEXANS

Nawzer

Alienz
jmerog said:
I'll bet he would make an outstanding rikshaw puller ( i hear he's reeeeal fast)
Hey, to pull a rickshaw somewhere you got to know your routes atleast! :cool:

DatTexBoy

Waterboy
But my thing was that Capers CLAIMED that the special teams was what he wanted to upgrade and bring a demension to the team that will help the offense. The cut of Swinton was crippling us in my opinion. We have had no one to break open a game with special teams play and when we seem to have one we cut him. I remember we kept that sorry slow KR that couldn't play WR either.

Mathis is a project with tremendous potential. But potential vs. production is very much different when it comes down to players being cut.

The more and more I hear Casserly :homer: talk the less I am having confidence in him and Capers. I want them to prove us :fans: wrong and show us something other then mediocrity.

Vinny

shiny happy fan
DatTexBoy said:
The cut of Swinton was crippling us in my opinion. We have had no one to break open a game with special teams play and when we seem to have one we cut him.
I guess you have never seen Buchannon return punts.

jmerog

Waterboy
DatTexBoy said:
But my thing was that Capers CLAIMED that the special teams was what he wanted to upgrade and bring a demension to the team that will help the offense. The cut of Swinton was crippling us in my opinion. We have had no one to break open a game with special teams play and when we seem to have one we cut him. I remember we kept that sorry slow KR that couldn't play WR either.

Mathis is a project with tremendous potential. But potential vs. production is very much different when it comes down to players being cut.

The more and more I hear Casserly :homer: talk the less I am having confidence in him and Capers. I want them to prove us :fans: wrong and show us something other then mediocrity.
truer words were never spoken, my friend. Swinton had real potential to be a dynamo. I'm happy to have the chance to see what mathis becomes because it could be great BUT Swinton was a known, proven performer. Still, cutting bradford and keeping swinton would have been the best of both worlds. I agree with you about not taking Chuck seriously.
Casserly is a decent GM and reguardless of how good/bad the team performs, part of his job will always be to talk a good line and sugar coat things. As far as Capers goes, I think he's a good head coach albeit a bit too conservative. Palmer should be mailed out of town in a box headed for the north pole (with an apology letter to the polar bears and penguins)

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
jmerog said:
Swinton had real potential to be a dynamo.
Swinton was not the next coming of Eddie Drummond, much less Dante Hall. Going into what will be his 6th season in the NFL (after being undrafted) he is looking for his 5th job. Sure, he returned a pre-season 2nd half kick-off for a TD, but he also stuck a ball on the ground, something he does 2.5 times as often as returning one for a TD.

jmerog

Waterboy
infantrycak said:
Swinton was not the next coming of Eddie Drummond, much less Dante Hall. Going into what will be his 6th season in the NFL (after being undrafted) he is looking for his 5th job. Sure, he returned a pre-season 2nd half kick-off for a TD, but he also stuck a ball on the ground, something he does 2.5 times as often as returning one for a TD.
Ok fine-it was a bit of an overstament but he still added more value than the consistantly underachieving,overpaid bradford. But since bradford is staying, I hope he makes me eat my words and burns defenses all season long. idoubt it

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
infantrycak said:
My gawd man! Don't confuse the issue with facts!

HardCoreTxn said:
whats the scoop on WR Maurice Washington? I cant find any info on him
Undrafted FA from Texas A&M Kingsville. Signed with Raiders before being cut.

Here's a snippet from the Corpus Christi paper on him...

Maurice

You have to register to read it.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I keep trying to figure when Corey Bradford and Tony Hollings became everything wrong with the Texans. :crazy:

Also, I missed memo that stated Sloan Thomas, Kevein Kasper and Reggie Swinton were conversely the saviors of the 2005 Texans season.
:read:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I am a little curious why we have never seen Bradford tried as a kick/punt returner. I don't recall it ever even being tested in training camp.

Porky

Hall of Fame
I think a whole bunch of fans are scratching their heads at some of the personenel moves, contract signings, et al. They seem to have no real direction, like a ship without a rudder. And, they consistently contradict themselves, and talk out of both sides of thier mouths. Example - Capers says the last two Preseason games are very important for the bubble guys. Practice is imprortant, but what these guys do on the field counts most. So, what happens? Sloan Thomas tears it up, and looks great, then promptly gets cut, and can't even make the practice squad. :ok:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
ArlingtonTexan said:
I keep trying to figure when Corey Bradford and Tony Hollings became everything wrong with the Texans.
Bradford and Hollings alone arent ALL thats wrong with the Texans . They have been somewhat useless and totally useless respectively ... That makes them targets for us to point at as failure's or bad choices by management . You could add Joppru and his three seasons on the pup list to that mix . :texflag:

infantrycak said:
I am a little curious why we have never seen Bradford tried as a kick/punt returner. I don't recall it ever even being tested in training camp.

I think his hands are a bit TOO questionable for the task of punt / kick returns .. At least Capers has sense enough NOT to stick him back there. :tomato:

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
corrosion said:
I think his hands are a bit TOO questionable for the task of punt / kick returns .. At least Capers has sense enough NOT to stick him back there. :tomato:
Y'all can keep saying this until the cows come home and it won't change the fact that Bradford has had an incredibly low drop rate over the last two years, about 1.8% of targets.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
To make a game of this, someone name a WR with more than 100 targets the last two years, with a lower drop %?

I will spot you one--Jabar Gaffney with about a 1.7%

touttail

Rookie
I am the typical fan to throw a "hissy fit" when you think the Texan management makes a huge error. Guess they do know football and we just gotta let those guys make the decisions, hopefully it's the right one!!

bobby 119C :texflag:

DatTexBoy

Waterboy
infantrycak said:
Oh you must haven't gotten the Bradford has "no-hands" memo.