Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

We got our speedster in Jerome Mathis

TopTexanFan16 said:
how do u think a rookie OL comin out of college is goin to help carr from being sacked. each year we've put rookie OL on the line and look where its gotten us. the only thing i wanna know it wat happened b/w 03 and 04 we went from 15 sacks to 49....now tell me wats wrong with that picture?

carr missed a few games in o3 thats where the 15 comes in. we really had more sacks that that, although it wasnt 49.

<--new to the board

To all the Texans fans, I wanted to congratulate you guys on drafting Jerome Mathis. As a Hampton Alum, who was there for part of the Mathis era and believe me as someone who got an upclose look at him, your team came away with a steal! I was reading some of the draft profiles and they mentioned character issues. I assure you that Jerome is a GREAT young man. At Hampton, our coaches stress off the field character as well as on the field performance, so he will be no problem for your staff.

Congrats to the Texans and good luck to Jerome!!

RiotCommander said:
Look, I love this pick, but am I the only person wondering about our O-Line? I hope some of these late round picks are gems because Carr could end up getting killed back there. All the WRs in the world wont help if he doesn't have time to throw it.

No I`m with you on this Carr was sacked 49 times last yr which lead the NFL.
Mathis is a good pick. Going to be hard to get him the ball though when Carr is on his back! Until the Texans address their O-Line we can continue to see this. The upside is he runs 4.2!!!! He will replace JJ Moses.

TopTexanFan16 said:
how do u think a rookie OL comin out of college is goin to help carr from being sacked. each year we've put rookie OL on the line and look where its gotten us. the only thing i wanna know it wat happened b/w 03 and 04 we went from 15 sacks to 49....now tell me wats wrong with that picture?

If the Texans start drafting O-Linemen and D-Linemen in the 1st and 2nd rounds the next cpl yrs You will see a big difference. EX:It is very hard to get a 6`7`` 320 LT with quick feet! You see Oakland took a line man with their 1st pick last yr. They are set for a long time at that position. That is your most important position on O. WR and RB come a dime a dozen. Great OT don`t

Here's alittle info on Jerome Mathis, the kid is more than just fast......he was world class speed.....literally:

The Pirates' big-play receiver, Mathis possesses incredible speed that makes him a deep threat and gives him the ability to stretch short receptions into long gains. During his career, he had 32 plays of 40-plus yards, 21 of those ending in touchdowns. He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions. A natural hands catcher, he is a fierce competitor and respected leader. Mathis not only excelled at football for Hampton, but also ranked as one of the nation's elite sprinters in track.

The political science major was an all-state, all-district and all-metro wide receiver and kick returner at Petersburg (Va.) High School. He also was a six-time state champion in track and field, winning the 2001 national indoor 200-meter title at the Nike Classic.

In college track, Jerome was the 2003 and 2004 NCAA East Regional champion in the 200-meter dash. He set the East Regional record in the 200-meter dash with a personal best 20.32 in 2004. He was also a two-time NCAA All-American in the 200-meter dash, thanks to a runner-up finish in 2003 and a sixth-place effort in 2004. In addition, he won the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference championship in the 100-meter dash.

Mathis was a Proposition 48 student in 2001. He moved into the starting lineup at the "Z" receiver position as a sophomore, catching 24 passes for 615 yards (25.6 average) and three touchdowns. He added 188 yards and a score on 20 carries (9.4 average) and returned 20 kickoffs for 417 yards (20.9 average) and a touchdown, averaging 93.8 all-purpose yards per game.

Mathis earned All-Mid Eastern Athletic Conference honors as he led the MEAC with 1,391 all-purpose yards in 2003. He set a school season record with 977 yards on 40 receptions (24.4 average), including nine touchdowns. He returned 17 kickoffs for 343 yards (20.2 average) and carried nine times for 29 yards (3.2 average). The best was yet to come, as Mathis earned consensus All-America honors in 2004. He caught 29 passes for 864 yards, a conference season-record 29.8-yard average (also led the nation), with nine touchdowns. He ranked third on the team with 14 carries for 173 yards (12.4 average) and two scores. He returned 25 kickoffs for 888 yards to lead the nation with a 35.5-yard average and set an NCAA season record with five touchdown returns. Mathis also ranked sixth in the nation with an average of 160.8 all-purpose yards per game.

In only 35 games with the Pirates, Mathis accounted for 4,541 all-purpose yards, an average of 129.74 yards per game. He caught 93 passes for 2,456 yards (26.4 average) and 21 touchdowns, adding 390 yards and three scores on 43 carries (9.1 average). Only Mike Jenkins (2,629, 1993-96), Zuriel Smith (2,750, 1999-2002) and Johnnie Barnes (3,090, 1988-91) gained more yards receiving in a career for the Pirates. His 21 scoring grabs are topped only by Barnes (22) on the school's all-time list. His career average of 26.4 yards per catch broke the old MEAC and NCAA all-time record of 24.3 yards by John Taylor of Delaware State (1982-85). He also set a school record by catching at least one pass in 34 consecutive games.

He also returned 62 kickoffs for 1,648 yards (26.6 average) and six touchdowns. Only Terrance Patrick (1,814, 2000-03) gained more yards on kickoff returns in Hampton annals. He also gained 47 yards on two punt returns. His six returns for touchdowns broke the NCAA career record of five, held by Kerry Hayes of Western Carolina (1991-94), Ryan Zimpleman of Butler (1997-99) and Lamont Brightful of Eastern Washington (1998-01).

I didn't think we would get this guy at the place we did, but I think we just got some pressure off of AJ and the running back we picked up isn't oo bad either. Yeah, he's 25 or going to be, but look at the amount of time he's been playing due to a minor league baseball career. He'll be fine as well.

TigerBait said:
hopefully the same production, but as of now Mathis has more speed than Harrison and Harrison has better hands..

True, but you can teach concentration.....you can't teach speed and from what I'm hearing Mathis has pretty good hands. Let's see if he can have D. Anderson hands though, lol.

O.G. said:
True, but you can teach concentration.....you can't teach speed and from what I'm hearing Mathis has pretty good hands. Let's see if he can have D. Anderson hands though, lol.
o of course i totally agree, take our very own AJ as an example. I just said "as of now". However there are many great recievers in this league that still dont have as good as hands as Marvin and never will...

and i always hear on like sports shows or on boards like this people saying that andre doesnt have good hands and that they question is catching ability!?!?! wtf r they talkin bout unless im watching diffrent games i think he catches almost everything thrown toward him and if he is b/w the defender and ball he always catches it i've seen him almost drop only like twice but i guess people jsut give him a bad rep from his rookie season.

Well with AJ, the circus/amazing catches have almost become expected out of him, taking it for granted. So say when he drops a ball when hes wide open thats the drop thats going to stick in our minds and make people say stuff like that. IMO for a guy with his size and speed he had great hands..

Yes, AJ has great hands now, but most people say he doesnt cause of his rookie year. Most people remember how he used to drop passes while he was open 40 yards downfield when he could have scored. They just forget about the catches like vs the Vikes when he caught that TD pass and got flipped upside down and still made the grab. I'll never forget that pass! :thumbup

STEEL BLUE TEXANS said:
Marvin Harrison, no.

Laveranues Coles, yes.

I would take someone of Coles's abilities in a heartbeat as our #2.

I think this was our plan B WR all along if we didn't take Williamson. This might have worked out unintentionally better because we get a speedy WR AND a top-flight D-lineman. We have spent 1st round picks on every area (skills 2, LB 1, DB 1, DL 1) of the team except OL. Next year there are supposed to be some much better OT prospects. If Wand doesn't work out this season, I expect us to trade up and snag one of the premiere OT's in next year's draft.

Look for the Texans to replace Glenn, Walker, McKinney, Wiegert, Coleman, and Wong over the next two seasons. Perhaps one of the bunch will stick around (doubtful), but they seem to be getting rid of all of the veterans.

Back