We are 1 of 12 QB situations worth watching

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Buffi2, May 17, 2007.

1. Buffi2

Buffi2 Site Contributor

or so says Don Banks, SI.com
    link

• Houston -- Texans fans don't have David Carr to kick around any more. But is that the good news or the bad news in Houston, where Carr was held responsible for everything shy of the Oilers leaving town in the first place? So desperate were the Texans to end the Carr era that they have pinned their future hopes at the position on a guy who is 0-2 in his two career starts, with a 69.2 passer rating in his limited NFL action. Schaub has talent, and the odds are he'll quickly make us forget what little he accomplished in Atlanta as Vick's backup. But if he doesn't, he wouldn't be the first career No. 2 to wilt under the glare of the No. 1 spotlight. If he should struggle, one intriguing option to keep tabs of is rookie Jared Zabransky, of Boise State fame.

At least this guy admits Matt has talent.:fans:

2. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Since Schaub, Houston and Atlanta will always be linked because of this deal, lets add the comments about Atlanta to this discussion as well...

3. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

At least we didn't end up with the dog-fight runner. :user:

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't get this. We've played musical LT since our inception. Fired Offensive Coordinators, Fired coaches, revamped the defense, chewed through WRs like they were on sale, replaced all but three positions since David has been our starter...

And we're blaming everything on David freak'n Carr.

sheesh...

5. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Every QB coming out of college is unproven, yet Shaub seems to be under much more scrutiny. He wasn't a starter in ATL because of talent, but only because the Falcons owner has standing orders that Vick be the starting QB (something Texans fans are familiar with).

I have yet to see a national sports writer actually analyze David Carr, the QB. Makes me think of the Borg in Star Trek, where they all tap into a universal mind without the ability to think for themselves. Carr shares as much (or more) blame for his woes as the line, backs, receivers, and/or coaching staff. But yet none of the so-called professional sports writers seem to get it.

awtysst likes this.
  6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I am trying to chip away at this my own self.

Texans FanHouse: David Carr or the Offensive Line: The Chicken Egg Question

If you ever want to easily respond to a national borg writer about this subject, I think this is something that is handy to link to.

As for what happens if Schaub struggles, part of that is learning a new offense, an offense that Shanahan Sr. has described as one that takes 3 years for a quarterback to master. I am thinking that Rosenfels would get more a legit shot this year if things really went south, and would have last year had he not broke his hand.

7. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

It is spelled Schaub. Otherwise, I agree with your post.

8. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Excuse me! I don't like the context here - how about operator, promoter, or slimeball? I don't like being associated with anything so flagitious. :cool:

9. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

The only reason it's interesting is because Carr was let go, so a lot of people are going to want to do a blanket comparison of the team between when Schaub took over and when Dave left, and we will all be able to curb it to our own perspectives. The reality is that there are a lot of holes, and QB was just one of them. The Texans have done little to patch the other holes. If they don't produce this season it is because of their inability to patch holes.

I am real excited, however, in seeing the development of Okobe (keeping in mind he's just a rookie) and the production of a real running back this year. The defensive line and the running back are the workhorses of Kube's team. It will be interesting to see how well they perform this year.

10. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hehe, hehe--he said flagitious.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I had wondered where your name came from and just assumed it was drug related. Hadn't even thought of underground sport promotions.

12. Da_General

Da_General Obnoxious Musician

I was going to argue, but I figured it was Futile...
    :bag:

13. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I for one blame everything on Casserley. All those things that you list and Carr are all Casserley.

14. Runner

Hey! This is getting out of control. Running is a form of EXERCISE. I chose Runner because I RUN.

15. Runner

I don't understand what's funny. What word would you have used? :shades:

flagitious \fluh-JISH-uhs\, adjective:
    1. Disgracefully or shamefully criminal; grossly wicked; scandalous; -- said of acts, crimes, etc.
    2. Guilty of enormous crimes; corrupt; profligate; -- said of persons.
    3. Characterized by enormous crimes or scandalous vices; as, "flagitious times."

16. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I agree with you, it pains me to listen to Schlerth and Golic, both of whom I like, about the Texans OL. You would think a lineman no matter a Dl or OL would no that it is not only the OL that causes sacks. It is as if they are not free thinkers and can not go with a real thought of their own and have to say the party line and that the only thing that is wrong is the part line.

why does Banks use the word "us" in his talking about the Texans? I bet he has only watched two complete games of our beloved team. I get so fruastrated by the talk that comes from these national media guys because they talk without knowledge.

17. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Judging from your reaction, drugs are definately involved :)

Oh, and on the original article/link, good read. Nice to see someone being able to write something short without reverting to espn'isque ramblings.

18. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

All this time I thought you were just really into that [SIZE=-1]Schwarzenegger[/SIZE] movie...

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yep. He doth protest too much. My initial impression was obviously correct and this whole exercise thing is a ruse.

20. Runner

It gets worse and worse.