Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Watt looks good. What do you think we could get for Mario?

gafftop

All Pro
Just asking. Mario isn't going to cut it. Not just basing on performance tonight. Basied on watching him for years.

Last edited:
No actually I thought he should have been traded earlier. At end of this season I don't think he will have any value. Just my opinion. And believe me I hope I am WRONG.

You simply float that Mario could be had for the right offer. If it is sweet you do it. Reed has looked good but we need to see more of him and Barwin before you give up Mario. Let's see how WIlliams looks by game one and we should know more.

Love Mario, but if he isn't capable of playing in a 3-4, Reed is plenty talented enough to do so

With that said, it's the 1st pre-season game, smart guy

LOL I know. I just can't imagine him being our best option at THAT position, therefore if we can substantially improve in another area by trade I think it needs to be considered.

ok watt is a DE, Mario is now an OLB, who do u propose take marios spot ? Brooks reed ? Mario is a top tier player and our FO would be crazy to trade him. :wadepalm:

ok watt is a DE, Mario is now an OLB, who do u propose take marios spot ? Brooks reed ? Mario is a top tier player and our FO would be crazy to trade him. :wadepalm:
Mario is a top tier END, he has done zero as an OLB. I'm willing to give him time but let's stick to facts. Watt has replaced him at DE so either Mario goes back to end (if he does not get better) and we rotate Smith/Watt & Mario & I'm ok with that if Reed & Barwin can hold the starter roles as OLB or we trade Mario to a 4-3 team like Pats for two second round picks.

Why trade him? If he can't play OLB, then just move him back to DE.
Because Watt looks good enough to be an every down player @DE & Mario's $14million is too much to be a rotational guy. I could be ok with it but hate to see that. I would take two 2nds right now but get more later in season.

I disremember Watt's number being called. What do you mean by looking good?

Mario is a top tier END, he has done zero as an OLB. I'm willing to give him time but let's stick to facts. Watt has replaced him at DE so either Mario goes back to end (if he does not get better) and we rotate Smith/Watt & Mario & I'm ok with that if Reed & Barwin can hold the starter roles as OLB or we trade Mario to a 4-3 team like Pats for two second round picks.

Can't you trade him for a REAL OLB that can help this year and maybe get draft choice or another quality player?

How can Mario get lost, when his only job is to rush the qb? What's the confusion there?

Run coverage....and maybe just a little short pass coverage.

Mario has been nails at stopping the run (in 4-3), but now he isn't doing it at all. There's gonna be a learning curve.

I disremember Watt's number being called. What do you mean by looking good?
In this defense, the DT and DEs will prob not get their number called much. You just have to watch their play and see if they are taking up the blocks and tying up the Oline allowing LBs to disrupt the QB. I'd say the line is doing their job very well.

Everything is dependent on his cap number. If it is 13 million you could improve the team this year. If it is only 2 million then not as big a deal. I really don't care if I save McNair money, I only care if it makes the Texans more competitive.

Everything is dependent on his cap number. If it is 13 million you could improve the team this year. If it is only 2 million then not as big a deal. I really don't care if I save McNair money, I only care if it makes the Texans more competitive.
That is almost as dumb as something Dex would say.

Can't you trade him for a REAL OLB that can help this year and maybe get draft choice or another quality player?
Sure if the other team is OLB heavy, but we need to reduce costs next season. Remember, Mario is gonna want a big old contract re-newal if he gets any sacks this season.

Sure if the other team is OLB heavy, but we need to reduce costs next season. Remember, Mario is gonna want a big old contract re-newal if he gets any sacks this season.

That is exactly why we trade him now. He won't be worth a big contract from us so we end up losing him and get whatever. I think we got a seventh or something when we lost Dunta. Right now we improve our team if we trade, later we get much less. Maybe during season would work too.

That is exactly why we trade him now. He won't be worth a big contract from us so we end up losing him and get whatever. I think we got a seventh or something when we lost Dunta. Right now we improve our team if we trade, later we get much less. Maybe during season would work too.
OK, here is where I'll probably vote against you. I have to be a gambling man now. Wade Phillips (I trust his eval) says Williams will be good OLB. Even though I said earlier I'd take two 2nds now, I misspoke. I'll gamble Willams will get better especially as D gets better acclimated. I am not against a trade but think deal gets better after say regular game 6 and he has 5-6 sacks and is blowing up the run as he usually does.
Or if SMith thinks Mario will extend contract without testing free agency with a reasonable deal, we wrap him up. We probably come out ahead by holding onto Mario a while yet.

FO is trying to make Mario happy, not effective. He's not an OLB in any system, he's too big. He would be an excellent 3-4 DE, but he's such a good pass rusher that it would be a waste.

We need to trade him for some top picks and add to the defense with some good young talent that is an ideal fit for the system.

This thread is ridiculous. It's preseason.

Pretty damn close to negative rep for stupidity.

You know nothing about football if you think Mario will make an effective OLB, preseason or not. You have to plan ahead and for the future and if you don't think Mario will cut it then you need to deal him and get something for him before he hits FA.

He's too big to be out there, he gets cut left and right. He has a great 1st step for a DE, but it's average for an OLB. He's not cut out to be out there in a 2 point stance.

IMO, they should play him at DE and get Antonio Smith off the field, but Mario is not going to re-sign if he's going to be playing 5' technique. Therefore, you gotta deal him before he hits the market.

gafftop hating on Mario, well I am just shocked I tells ya. Shocked.

Mario gets more than a single preseason game to show his worth, calling it now.

This thread is ridiculous. It's preseason.

Pretty damn close to negative rep for stupidity.
If you negative rep someone for stating their opinion, you should be banned from the board. That is the entire purpose of this site to talk about what we want not what you think is ridiculous.

Great Thread... Judging Mario in his first game in a new 3-4 defense.. And in a pre-season game to top it off!!!

/FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry doubting Thomas' gotta give Mario the benefit of the doubt for the pre-season. New system, new position is gonna take some getting use to, don't care how great of an athlete you are.

If you are going to base your opinion on one pre-season game than you are a moron, that simple:mariopalm:...Mario did look lost but it's expected the first time out. I am more interested in the 3rd game where they play for 3 quarters or so...

Watt is what he was expected, a beast...

If you negative rep someone for stating their opinion, you should be banned from the board. That is the entire purpose of this site to talk about what we want not what you think is ridiculous.
Chill out man, I'm not the one starting a thread to trade Mario after 15 minutes of preseason football. We all shouldn't get too high or too down over one preseason game. I think this is just overkill and I rarely use that word.

It is a message board but common sense should account for something here. We're supposed to be educated fans. It's one freaking preseason game!

Watt did look ok...but as far as Mario its to soon to judge, but if I was a gambling man I'd say get him back to DE...which is what I thought he would be when we first signed Wade...who cares if his feelings are hurt, if he pouts who cares...can't we put the franchise tag on him for next year? I remember an analyst saying in Mario's 1st year that the Texans should leave him at 1 DE spot so he can learn and master it instead of going from back n forth from RDE to LDE...now he not only is learning a new defense but a new position as well. And he can be a very good player at DE in the 34 just like those listed below:

Jack Youngblood
Bruce Smith
Howie Long
Fred Dean (49ers)
Lee Roy Selmon

If you negative rep someone for stating their opinion, you should be banned from the board. That is the entire purpose of this to talk about what we want not what you think is ridiculous.

A shitty post is still a shitty post even if it does happen to be an opinion. Should we discuss what each player could possibly get us in a trade? We might be here for awhil3.

If hardtop gave actual logical analysis beyond "I watched him for years" people wouldn't be 4esponding in such a negative light.

Boy, this thread didn't take long. Shocker...

no, unfortunately it didn't.
the first team D had, what, a ten snaps?

And the ESPN talking heads asked Antonio Pierce about those run plays to Mario's side. He said - and he played the position that Mario is trying to learn - that Mario did his job by sealing the outside and forcing the RB back inside. Unfortunately, the INSIDE LBs who have inside run responsibility - were no where to be found. "That's on the inside LBs, they got to be a little bit more stout inside".

Speaking of ILBs did anyone hear DeMeco's name called tonight? I didn't.
Guess we should trade him too.

Chill out man, I'm not the one starting a thread to trade Mario after 15 minutes of preseason football. We all shouldn't get too high or too down over one preseason game. I think this is just overkill and I rarely use that word.

It is a message board but common sense should account for something here. We're supposed to be educated fans. It's one freaking preseason game!

The issue is the person starting the thread is voicing his opinion and you call him stupid and ridiculous. Come hard with your opinions on Mario's worth to team & I'll support you. Educated fans have debated Mario's worth since he was drafted. Probably only Okoye and Carr have been debated more so your comments are objectionable much more so than the opinion of the thread. Anyway, do your thing. I am off to sleepy land.

A shitty post is still a shitty post even if it does happen to be an opinion. Should we discuss what each player could possibly get us in a trade? We might be here for awhil3.

If hardtop gave actual logical analysis beyond "I watched him for years" people wouldn't be 4esponding in such a negative light.
Yes, if someone want to discuss each player's trade value, why not? We discuss what we want to see from almost every player. If you don't want to play, go home. And who are you to say what post is shitty? Just because you disagree? Why can we give our pros and cons rather than attack someone?

Andre Johnson looked horrible today, it's like he wasn't even playing!!!! Let's trade him too while we're at it. Foster as well.

The issue is the person starting the thread is voicing his opinion and you call him stupid and ridiculous. Come hard with your opinions on Mario's worth to team & I'll support you. Educated fans have debated Mario's worth since he was drafted. Probably only Okoye and Carr have been debated more so your comments are objectionable much more so than the opinion of the thread. Anyway, do your thing. I am off to sleepy land.
We're all allowed to voice our opinions and I simply voiced mine. I really don't care if you support me or not.

I know my football man, and threads like this make Texan fans sound ridiculous. Most everyone on this board can see past this.

At the risk of posting in this thread....

My goodness. At worst you drop him down to DE, where he probably should be anyway.

Trade Mario. Y'all sound like the front office for the Astros....selling off good players....

I would entertain the idea of trading him for a healthy Dumerville. The Broncos switched to a 43 this offseason, so his OLB talents will be somewhat wasted up there. Ditto for Mario as a DE here.

Back