Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Watson or Mahomes? Who is more exciting?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texecutioner, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

This is a tough call.

Mahomes is very mobile with great foot work and a rocket arm that is even doing basketball like moves as a QB flawlessly in some cases. Already threw for 50 TD's in his first season. Arm is up there with Marino, Favre, and Rogers.

Watson is extremely slippery which is a rare description for certain guys abilities to run with the football in their hands. He mobility is as good as any QB in the entire NFL. He has very good passing abilities all over the field. Not nearly as good as Mahomes, but he has to do it under harder circumstances without much of a teacher and without much protection. Watson has a lot better mobility than Mahomes does as well.

This isn't about who you think is better or will be better.

Who is more exciting to watch?

ROO, CWTexansFan and ATXtexanfan like this.
  2. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Right now Mahomes. I get that Watson keeps his team in any game and thus more exciting because in a duel or trying to come from behind. But mahomes usually has a lead so his 4 qtr stats might pale compared to waston.

Both these kids are great for the league

3. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Hard to say but I'd like to see if mahomes could do what Watson is doing here. I feel like the system is great for mahomes whereas Watson is creating more

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian Staff Member

I really like Watson as a Texans fan, but I'd have to say Mahomes as an NFL fan.

I do wonder how Watson would be doing in KC if they had picked him instead.

5. NitroGSXR

NitroGSXR Super Sic #58

Mahomes and it ain’t even close. That kid has a golden arm.

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

I liked Mahomes coming out …. my mind hasn't changed.

I will say the gap between the two is smaller than I thought it was coming out of the draft.

Mahomes makes some throws no other QB can make …. then he throws something like the one he threw falling down Sunday that turned into intentional grounding and could have been much worse - He's got to learn to rein in the gunslinger in him sometimes.

Watson is a bit more controlled …. and has learned to live to play another down.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Watson is definitely gimped by this coaching staff …. Mahomes has a decided advantage there.

ObsiWan, DocBar, disaacks3 and 6 others like this.
  7. Texecutioner

He does, but I find Watson's scrambling abilities extremely fun to watch as well. As a runner he is so slippery and has a pretty good instinct for when to run. His arm is way better than I thought it would be coming into the league as well.

8. Texecutioner

You know for some reason I seem to hear that Watson is like Michael Jordan on a football field more than any other player. It is a pretty stupid analogy based on the difference in the sports, but I can't help but feel like he is the closest to what a shorter Jordan would like at QB with the way that Watson moves laterally and elusively.

I don't get the Jordan feel when I watch other athletic QB's like Lamar Jackson, Vick, Wilson, and others with similar skill sets as dual threat guys. Watson has that special aura about him out there. It's hard to describe.

9. santo

santo Hall of Fame

I had Watson tied with Mahomes in the draft. Either one would have been fine.

I’m more jealous of the Chiefs because they have Reid and we have OB.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

I won't turn either of them off for sure, both wonderful talents with Mahomes slightly better. That being said, I think DW4 would flourish in KC and Pat would struggle here with the protection. Give me either to start a franchise and I would not whine a lick

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Showtime Mahomes. He just makes it look too easy. Kinda walks suspect tho....

12. Corrosion

Watson is actually an athletic QB playing the position - and is a great passer.

Those other guys are athletes playing the position and none of them were / are particularly good passers aside from Wilson.

Texas Jake likes this.
  13. Texecutioner

I agree. I meant to add Cam Newton to that list as well. Cam has had a few really good passing years. When he is on he is more like a Lebron on a football field to me. Watson reminds me of young Jordan for some reason.

ShinobiMusashi likes this.
  14. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

Cam = LeBron

Dwight Howard = Olajuwon

15. Texecutioner

I meant movement and the ability to use athleticism on the field. I wasn't talking about accomplishments.

CWTexansFan likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Cam Newton is not even in the same solar system galaxy as Lebron …. and I cant stand Lebron.

Newton might be one of the most physically gifted players to ever play the position but he's dead between the ears.

CWTexansFan and Mollywhopper like this.
  17. corry

corry Veteran

Watson is just as talented as Mahomes in almost every aspect. Sure, Watson’s arm isn’t as strong but it’s not too far off when he wants to get in to one. Both have great footwork, accuracy, and poise in the pocket which tells me they will be good for a long time.

Pat Mahomes has Andy Reid and a top 10 pass blocking offensive line(#6). Give Watson that, and the national media is raving about Watson. Deshaun has already shown he can explode with the worst pass blocking line in the league.

The scheme is the main difference between the two.

ObsiWan, TexansBull, ROO and 2 others like this.
  18. Corrosion

There's a lot more than scheme that separates them.

Mahomes has a bigger arm …. and its not really close.

I think the biggest difference is Mahomes ability to dissect a defense both pre and post snap. He gets thru the progressions and layers of the defense as fast as any QB in the league post snap.

I do think Watson handles pressure better and is the more slippery of the two in the pocket. But he has to learn to recognize that presnap and make the right adjustments , not just react to it after the fact and rely upon that slipperiness to make something out of nothing.

Yes , having Andy Reid is a decided advantage …. and OB is an anchor around Watson's neck.

19. House of Pain

House of Pain Knee-jerkless

Oh c'mon! He's more of a millstone than an anchor! :kitten:

20. corry

corry Veteran

Mahomes led the league in “QB”(sacks responsible to the QB)sacks with a better offensive line. That doesn’t tell me he’s better pre snap.

Watch the game against Jacksonville, playing for Andy Reid is much easier.