Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DanielTx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. TheKDog

TheKDog Hall of Fame

Yep, especially long term

2. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

I concur - for now.

4. ROO

ROO Not A Staff Member

I tried to find the "every pass" videos from week 1 for Watson and Brady but couldn't find them, so my thoughts are merely anecdotal at this point. Even though the completion rate is similar, it just seems that Brady's passes are more often "on the money" than Watson's. One of the reasons that Hopkins often makes such crazy spectacular catches is because he has to adjust to less-than-accurate passes. If Brady completes a perfect pass exactly where it should have been thrown, and Watson completes a pass that made the receiver break stride and adjust, they both count the same in "completion percentage." I don't think that accuracy and completion percentage are an exact correlation.

I watched both games, and I have no doubt that Brady's placement of passes is better than Watson's. Texans receivers are often adjusting to where the pass is going, while Patriots receivers are often catching the ball in stride. Watch both games next week, keep an eye on the passes, and see which quarterback's passes are more consistently "on the money." On the other hand, perhaps my perception is completely off base.

Again, don't take me wrong, I am more than happy that Watson plays for the Texans. He is an exciting player and fun to watch, no doubt, and has Superbowl potential.

5. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

No, they aren't. Troy Aikman was the poster child for that proof. Dude could hit a gnat's ass at 40 yards. Amazig accuracy. Completion percentage is what it is, and while accuracy is a precursor to a good completion percentage, the reverse is not necessarily true.

All that said, I seriously doubt you'd see Brady dropping dimes like that if he were in the same situation as Watson. Crappy OL and a coach that has never really built the team around him that he should, all in a "system" that's suspect. I like Watson's accuracy just fine.

DanielTx, ROO and Corrosion like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist Staff Member

If you go back and look at my pre-draft comments on Watson in the draft section - accuracy was my main concern.

He's been better than I expected in that aspect …. but your perception is pretty much spot on , they are in the neighborhood of the receiver , not necessarily on target.

ROO likes this.
  7. ROO

ROO Not A Staff Member

I can't argue with that. Hard to compare quarterbacks to each other without also considering the system, players, and coaching they are surrounded with. Heck, Brady running the Texans' offense just might get him killed. At least Watson has a chance of escaping the pass rush!

8. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

I get what your saying and agree. What I'm getting at is Brady kills you with a thousand small razor cuts instead of one swipe of the sword. Meaning that offense and most of his throws are within 5 to 10 yards of the LOS. Easy for him to put it between the numbers when they run those plays in their sleep. He's great at it. Watson on the other hand has to wait for (or waits because he wants to wait) the receiver to run his deep route. Those throws are harder to put on a dime. Just my opinion and what it feels like to me. I think we agree but just seeing it differently.

No way.....Brady would be in traction after one game trying to run OB's offense.

CWTexansFan and ROO like this.
  9. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I think he will be. He is top 10 already right now.

DanielTx and CWTexansFan like this.
  10. corry

corry Veteran

Anyone that compares Deshaun Watson to Vince Young is subconsciously racist. I am not even kidding. They are much different players and human beings.

CWTexansFan likes this.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. DanielTx

DanielTx Veteran

that’s not an accurate comparison but it’s also not a reach. I think he was comparing him to College V.Young aka Mr.Take-over-the-game. Vince was more talented physically but Dw4 is light years ahead as far as mental strength goes.

12. cdrw

cdrw Noob

If the O line can keep Watson upright, he will be one of the best in this new generation of Q.B.'s. I am a Saints fan, and after watching the performance Watson put on Monday night, the Texans have the real deal.

It was amazing to see what he did in 2 plays near the end. That's what the great ones do.

CWTexansFan, DanielTx and Earl34 like this.
  13. mws

mws Rookie

I don't know about top 5 yet but I do think he could be the best QB a Houston team has ever had. I guess the biggest change for me was when we got the ball at the end I had a lot of confidence that we could score & take the lead. It's been a long time since I felt this way.

ROO and CWTexansFan like this.
  14. corry

corry Veteran

He is top 10.

I think by mid season he could be considered top 5.

DanielTx likes this.
  15. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

Brees
    Brady
    Rodgers

After that I think it's open for discussion. Mahomes has a lot more talent around him; a better OL, better targets, a better ground game.... and tbh, a better pass defense.

Honestly there is a second tier below the top 3 that is really like 8-10 deep. QB play is a lot better this year than in the past.

16. Mollywhopper

Mollywhopper Facilitator Staff Member

I wonder if many of the people who drill down so much on the peripheral help that Mahomes has have spent much time actually watching him play, or if they perhaps just doth protest too much.

He didn't have Reid or Hill or a solid oline or the college equivalent of much of anything of that really at TTech ... and he still balled the f*ck out making the vast majority of the same kinds of plays we see in KC. Some of us even said as much heading into the draft ... kinda why we wanted him.

And the latter there has zero to do with Watson and how much he should be appreciated. But that's kinda the thing ... these two, though connected through their draft classes and whatnot ... they can actually be compartmentalized for who they individuality are. Like, it's possible.

JB likes this.