Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

Watson’s a top 5 qb. Do you agree?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DanielTx, Sep 10, 2019.

1. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Watson is more than accurate. 66, almost 67% completion percentage is pretty damn good. And he averages about 8 and a half yards per attempt.

Brady is on target because lots of his throws are within 6 to 10 yards of the LOS. That's just the offense he plays in. Watson is stuck with OB's deep passing game and still has a very good completion percentage. Brady's comp % is 64 for his career.

To the thread, Watson is not top 5 yet. But well on his way.

ROO likes this.
  2. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

No...

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  3. DanielTx

DanielTx Veteran

I believe this offensive line clicks right around week 4-5. Give them time to build there chemistry being that this is a new unit. I wasnt expecting them to play well the first game and ob playcalling didn’t do them any justice. What I don’t understand is why ob isn’t calling plays to get the ball out of #4 hands quicker. First possession new offensive line, why are we calling plays that require our qb to hold the ball knowing the o line isn’t the best. Bellichec & Sean Payton are the exact opposite of ob. There logical. There calling plays to get the ball out there qb hands quickly.

4. DanielTx

DanielTx Veteran

To everyone that said no. If Watson beats Brady, brees, Wilson and Foles I think he’s in everyones top 5. In fact as far as I’m concerned, Watson already beat those guys. The Texans defense keeps losing. A couple qbs who had a clutch winning drive only to be let down by there defense. These qbs have played in over 300 career games

Brady (5)
    P. manning (5)
    Brees (4)
    Watson (5) out of 25 games.

Realistically top 5 -
    Brady
    Mahomes
    Brees
    Wilson
    Deshaun

Aaron is a talented superbowl qb. I just don’t think he’s top 5 with the weapons around him. Erasing accomplishments from 7 years ago. Deshaun has been more productive than Rodger since he came into the league. You have to put him top 5

5. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Still no #1, b/c he already lost to Brees..not his fault, but still. #2, b/c all those guys have led teams to championships. Foles shouldn't even be in any convo for a top 5 anything..

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Mahomes
    Wilson / Rivers / Rothlisberger

The absolute only argument that can be made to insert DW4 ahead any of the 3 i listed in the 5th spot is for him to either lead us to a SB, or for him to have an MVP year like Mahomes did last year accompanied by a deep playoff run. Beyond that he's not top 5.

6. Lucky

Lucky Moderator Staff Member

What does it matter if Watson is top 5 or not? He's good, young, and only getting better. The Texans and their fans are fortunate to have him on their team. A lot of the guys mentioned in the top 5 (deservedly so) are only getting older and regressing. Except Brady. He made some deal with the devil and will be great until the helmet doesn't fit over the demon horns.

ROO, CWTexansFan, Thorn and 1 other person like this.
  7. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

FIFY :tiphat:

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. DanielTx

DanielTx Veteran

First of all you’re wrong, here’s why. This is a week 1 qb ranking. Not of all time and if you think Rodgers, Big Ben or Rivers played better than Deshaun. Hook me up with your dealer. I do agree winning a Super Bowl would boost his ranking in this era but you also have to take into account what he’s doing against top tier teams. Just because he looses by a td vs a great qb doesn’t mean he isn’t better than that qb. If the nfl did a fantasy draft. Mahomes, Wilson and Deshaun would go in that order. The fact people put baker ahead of him and had him ranked outside the top 10 is disrespectful.

CWTexansFan and Uncle Rico like this.
  9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator Staff Member

I'm confused. Is this a ranking for who played best in week 1 (where's Lamar Jackson?), who's top 5 fantasy, or who is top 5, period?

10. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Lol, no. There were at least 2 other qbs who played at least as well if not better as Watson after week 1....

Brady
    Brees
    Mahomes
    Dak
    Lamar Jackson
    Wentz 313 - 3 TDs ....... Watson 268 3 TDs 1 rushing TD & dare i say Case frickin Keenum who had 380 3 TDs.

This isn't counting Dalton who dropped 400 & 2 sticks on Seattle.

In any event, Only 2 of those 7 guys outside of Dalton lost & only 2 threw ints...Watson was in both those categories.

I love my guy, but he wasn't in the top 5 for performances week 1 & he's not in the top 5 of qb yet......period.

Support Texans Talk as a Monthly Donor

Wish to make a one time donation? Make it here.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

No way I put Wentz ahead of him and I'm not convinced Mahomes is any better. Put Mahomes with O'Brien and Watson with Reid and I think the outcome is about the same, but flipped.

My top 5:

Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Wilson
    Tier 2

Tier 2 is some amalgam of QBs that have at least been to a Championship game while at the same time demonstrating elite ability. Guys like Matt Ryan, Jared Goff, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger come to mind. Watson is in the "just as talented hasn't accomplished anything yet" category.

corry and ROO like this.
  12. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Not being argumentative, but for what Watson did Monday night, I'd put him in top 5 for Week 1. Not fantasy wise, performance wise. The others you mention had great days to be sure but Brady, Mahomes, Jackson and Dak all won in blowouts. Watson was in a battle and accounted for 4 TD's (only 1 INT) he was nails. Toe to toe with Brees and should have won. That's another argument though.

But for Week 1 and the purpose of this thread (sorry @DanielTx I read it wrong the first time) I would put Watson top 5.

CWTexansFan, Mr teX and santo like this.
  13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

It was a great performance for sure but i think its being slightly overrated b/c of the stage it was played on & how good of a game it turned out to be...& that's not to say that that doesn't factor in, but it does give it that extra little bit of umph if you will. I mean think about it. If Lamar Jackson does what he does to the dolphins on Monday night instead of Sunday at 12, his performance is hyped up not only by the monday night post-game crew, But also all of these new morning sports talk shows (First Take, Good Morning Football, Undisputed,etc.) are spending significant time talking about it as well. & That's the advantage all of these teams have when they play on Thursday, Sunday or Monday night games...

You could most certainly put him in the top 5 for week 1, but you could put a couple of other guys in that category to if that had that same platform.

14. austins23

austins23 Hall of Fame

Fair enough...
    Except maybe not Jackson......duuuude, the Dolphins BLOW!! The TT members could drop 2 TD's on them.

CWTexansFan, Mr teX and santo like this.
  15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

We haven't had a QB in Houston of Watson's caliber since Warren Moon. We should highly prize him and give him what he needs. Tunsil is a good start. A very expensive start, but a good one. There is always hope for Houston as long as Watson is still standing.

thunderkyss, ROO, CWTexansFan and 2 others like this.
  16. Bugman7star

Bugman7star Veteran

Without ranking him, I am confident in saying he is a QB that could win us a championship. He has room for improvement as it relates to holding the ball too long at times, but he can be a great QB for us for years to come if he stays healthy. We just need the coaching and other pieces to gel better.

ROO, Uncle Rico and DanielTx like this.
  17. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Couldn't agree more

18. DanielTx

DanielTx Veteran

While I can agree with you to a degree. I don’t think people overrate him. If that was the case he would be on espn more than baker mayfield. The fact of the matter is since his rookie season he’s been putting up great #s against hof tier qbs on prime time. Hell, if anything he’s underrated. You take into account he was sacked 62 times last season and 6 sacks the past game. With all the odds against him except for our wrs. How can you not put him top 5? He has one of the stupidest coaches in the league, a line that might become average, a weak defense who gives up the game in 38 seconds. He keeps taking Ls against hof qbs he should be 5-0 against instead he’s 0-5. Knowing how bad this guy wants to win. All it’s doing is motivating him to play even better. Soon, he’s going to start blowing teams out. I feel bad for Jacksonville next week

ROO and CWTexansFan like this.
  19. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

He's just not there yet. He's a top 5 talent at the qb position both all-time and currently in the NFL. But as far as his game, Look it was an exciting game & he put on a great performance, but until those performances start translating into W's, he's not going to ascend into the top 5 for most. Whether its right or wrong qbs are judged by that. I happen to hate it but it is what it is.

20. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

To debate if he is top 5 or not.

I say no.

ATXtexanfan, Corrosion, ROO and 2 others like this.