Was the superbowl FIXED?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by TexansFan33, Feb 2, 2009.

1. TexansFan33

TexansFan33 DW33

I mean I really didn't care who won the game I'm a Texans fan so... but to me it jus seemed like the Refs were on the steelers side most of the game. The steelers pedestrian offenive line HELD all night and barely any of it was called. How come Kurt Warners last pass was not challenged as an incomplete pass??? (CAN ANYONE SAY TUCK RULE?!). Last, I would like to say did anyone see Santonio after he scored he used the ball as a prop, all year I have seen that penalty called, its excessive celebration which might have had the steelers kicking off from the 20 and not the 35 which may have given the Cardinals a better shot a getting into the endzone at the end of the game. Tell me what yall think and in your opinion if it was fixed or not...

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

It DID feel like the refs were swinging the Steelers' way a little.

Granted, they DID call the 15-yarder on the Steelers' defensive back that roughed up the receiver out of bounds, which helped the Cards move down the field easier.

But it did feel, in some ways, like the Steelers were supposed to win the thing.

Oh well.

3. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

They also gave the Cards 3 15 yarders on one drive, including when Big Ben should have gotten intentional grounding.

4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I agree that the roughing call was unwarranted, and my first thought was that it was intentional grounding, but the replay clearly showed he (Big Ben) was out of the pocket.

5. Shaft75

Shaft75 Site Contributor

I was saying this the whole game. It was starting to get ridiculous until they called the holding penalty in the end zone.

There was one play that Warner dumped the ball off over the middle and you could see Harrison knock the crap out of Warner in the background. How was that not a late hit?

6. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

I am glad I am not the only one who felt that way.

7. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

No. They made a few bad calls and they went both ways. Roughing call was terrible. The Arizona line was holding all game long and they only called it like 4 times. They held almost everytime the Steelers blitzed. I saw Timmons get his facemask grabbed probably 4 times, and they only called it once, and that was on the Harrison INT so it didn't matter.

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I thought two of the 3 15 yarders was bad....the roughness on Ben was b.s. and so was the defensive holding call. They moved them down the field for a FG. There was 3 quarters where EVERY big play the Cards made...on defense or passes for 1st downs, etc on offense...were affected by penalties. The 4th quarter evened out but the damage was done. There was a big clip on the 100 yard return.

9. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Technically the defensive holding call was legit. I wouldn't have called it myself, because it was minor, but he held the guy twice during the play. Once coming off the line and again after the receiver made his cut.

Not sure I would call it b.s but it probably shouldn't have been called.

That's how I see it. Ben was clearly outside the pocket but that roughing call was bad.

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

It wasnt roughing, and I couldnt tell if he was or not. It was close. I also didnt know there was a roughing the holder penalty.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

And that really was my point. That is a play you see week in and week out with no calls and then it is called there to move the chains.

12. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yes, and I want my $10,000 back.

13. hobie

hobie Site Contributor

FIXED....WHAT ??

OK, the 100 yd. INT. return and Pitt having to make a 2 minute drive at the very end, that cannot be fixed !...Yes, some calls could have been made or not, but to say it was fixed...NO !

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think the calls went the Steelers way, but I don't think the game was fixed.

15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Steelers had 6 penalties in the 4th qtr alone so you can't say the refs tried to hand them the game. The Cards got hosed in the 3rd qtr while the Steelers did in the 4th. The officiating was terrible, but it was equally bad.

16. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

guys i'm all for conspiracy theroies, especially when they are against people/ organizations that i would like to see go down in a big fire of their own building. (for example The Da Vinci Code, Valkaryne or whatever, those "the Bush administration planned 9/11" fiasco were even entertaining for a while) but i wouldn't go as far as to say this game was rigged. that last play should have been reviewed but come on, calls go both ways in football and the Super Bowl, although a bigger deal than most, is a football game none the less.

17. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Overall, the crew just called a bad game. They made bad calls that went both ways.

Poor officiating, but not fixed.

18. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    No, but it did seem to cap a year where there were a ton of bad calls...seemed like this year had either more publicity against bad calls or just flat out more bad calls but I will say the ref-ing was sub-par.

19. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Yes. Go to Super Bowl XLIII thread and you will see my reasons why.

20. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

The NFL is screwed if these refs are bad...the SB refs are suppose to be the best of the best.

Didn't watch so I can't say this call was bad or no but I've been reading all day long on all kinds of boards about how poorly officiated a game it was.