was it just me or was a. foster walking extra gingerly today?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by powerfuldragon, Aug 15, 2010.

1. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

maybe it was just me, but a few times it looked like arian foster was limping back to the huddle.. anyone know what's up? or was i just flashbacking?

2. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He WAS walking back to the huddle somewhat heavy footed at times. I haven't seen him in practice to tell if this is unusual for him. But it was a noticeably strange walk.

3. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

oh jesus. didn't really notice anything but if true the drunk thread is going to be extra busy for a while

4. THE NFL

THE NFL Veteran

While I am in no way comparing Foster to Earl Campbell, Earl used to get up real slow and walk back to the huddle as well.

Foster looked really good and Texans fans should be feel positive.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I only saw the highlight from yesterdays game (can you believe that, 1 highlight & it wasn't even AJ's 44 yard TD), and he looked damn good. He had a little burst, and a good top end speed... didn't really see that last year. Normally I take what a coach says, with a grain of salt, especially when Kubiak's praises has mostly been off-the-field stuff, but he looked like a starter last night.

Don't know if he can do it for a whole season, or in a real game, but he looked really good last night.

6. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think if something was up with Foster it'd be out by now. Probably just a ding that wore off when he came out of the game.

Did anyone else notice how Foster runs in this scheme SO well? It was obvious compared to the other backs that Foster has what it takes between the ears to be a dominant runner in the ZBS.

7. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Press the hole
    read your blocks
    burst through the line
    run to daylight.

How hard can it be?

8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

You would think so? These backs make it look like rocket science. Slaton still runs like he doesn't get the scheme.

9. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    I've watched him in 3 games now and from what I've seen, pretty consistent. I don't see why that should change. Johnson looked good as well. With these guys, Slaton shouldn't be asked to pound inside.

10. ESAD2-14

ESAD2-14 TexanAmerican

I thought that it looked like he was limping a little after his first carry(or one of his early carries), thought his leg may have gotten rolled up a little bit on the tackle. I do not have DVR so can not say for sure, just what I thought I saw while watching the game.

11. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Problem with this is above in bold...

Easier said than done....

12. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Slaton is still pressing too hard. He was the perfect fit for this in 2008 and seemed to run with patience and good vision. Once things started to get ugly in 2009 he started trying to hit holes that hadn't appeared yet (or that had already closed while he hesitated) and he's been doing it ever since.

This man needs to get back to just letting the game come to him. He's thinking way too much and trying too hard.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

After thinking about it, I agree with you. Probably the only thing he needs to do is relax, and not put so much pressure on himself, and the fumbles will disappear and holes will open back up.

But if Slaton has indeed lost his confidence, that's a real bad thing. I am not optimistic.

14. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

To me, this is a big part of it. When he's out there, he seems to be starting to have the vision of Ron Dayne. He's running right into his own people now instead of finding the seams and creases and getting through them. He was finding those creases his first year. And I think they're still there for him.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

There was a play where he seemed to get dinged a bit. I reckon he shook it off because it didn't seem to bother him afterwards. He appeared fine on the sideline too when he was done for the night.

16. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Considering how much yardage he put up as a rookie, Slaton fits perfectly.

I think he will come back strong, plus we need a playmaker at the position.

I am not sold on Foster. I think he's a good short yardage back, which we've needed, but I think Slaton is the only guy that is an every-down threat.

17. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Other than lack of carries, what has Foster not shown you? Since late last season he has done very well imo. The coaching staff is high on the guy, so while I do need to see more, I have no reason to doubt the guy right now.

Imo... slaton needs to be utilized on way more screens. He needs to be put in open spaces. Which I think he will be this year if/when Foster can prove he can handle the load for the long haul.

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Personally, I think the "playmaker" aspect is over-valued. I've always preferred a back that gives me 4 yards every carry to the back that gives me 1 yard every carry for 9 carries and then breaks a 30 yarder.

I think Foster is going to get us positive yards every carry and occasionally break one for 15-20 yards while Slaton, at his best, is going to get stonewalled more often and then occasionally break a big one. To me, the perfect situation is to make Foster the main back who racks up yardage and then bring in Slaton in special situations with plays designed to take advantage of his skills and have him blow some people up.

19. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Speed is a big factor for me. Foster lacks that top-end speed to a hurt a defense from anywhere on the field

Ideally, we can use Foster-Slaton like the Saints use Thomas-Bush or the Boys use barber-Jones

20. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

And yet, speed is overrated. The NFL's career leader in rushing yards ran what, a 4.6? And played like it? Break away speed is nice, but not as important as agility, vision, balance and acceleration.