Was Casserly really that Bad ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by real, Sep 12, 2006.

?

Would you ever change your opinion of Casserly ??

1. I never thought he was a bad GM

23.1%
  2. He was,is, and always will be a bust as a GM

30.8%
  3. Yes, If some of his picks stepped up; he'd be ok in my book

30.8%
  4. No, Even if those players step up He will still have been a dissapointment

15.4%
  1. real

real Guest

Alot of posters have stated that they believe Casserly was a bust as a GM...Well i have a question...If D.Carr, Peek, Babin, T.J, Buchannon,D-Rob, Pitts, C.C, Earl, and all the rest of the players that had a hand in making a texan, turn out to be solid players/ live up to their potential, Will that change your perception of him ?

I'll be the first to admit that he made some questionable moves, but a lot of the players he picked or brought to the Texans are starting for us now...

Every GM makes bad picks...how bad was Casserly?

2. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

were still an expansion team in year 5! yes he is that BAD.(wade,smith,jppru,hollings,travisty johnson, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!casserly makes baby jesus cry.

3. real

real Guest

Jopru was injured..not his fault
    Johnson is starting and has improved...

Im not sure who smith is..Robaire ? If so, I don't think that was a bad pick up..

And how much can you actually put on Casserly...The coaches are supposed to develop talent, and they didn't do that with anyone...

4. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i'm pretty sure most of the picks were dom capers' decisions.

5. real

real Guest

You think So ?

6. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

yeah. I think casserly was just a guy trying to keep his coaches and organization happy. i think he got caught up in the *******storm and ended up looking pretty bad.

7. santo

santo Hall of Fame

He did choose Owen Daniels who as of right now Kubiak loves the guy

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I honestly believe that in many of these cases Dom & staff had significant input. I don't put it all on Casserly just like I don't put it all on Dom. I think they were a marriage made in hell.

9. real

real Guest

I actually think Casserly did Ok...Look at detroits draft for the last three years...He got C.C late in the draft and he's starting now...He wasn't a draft genius but I think he was o.k...

10. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

That was the excuse we were fed, but it really dosnt fit. Capers-3-4 defense, hard nosed running, a perfect game finishes 3-0.
    High draft picks: Carr, QB, Gaffney WR, AJ WR etc.
    Obviously there were some picks that conformed to his style, but there was way to much contradiction between phillosophy and practice for it to be the decision of one man only. CC screwed up and was kept on to serve as a figure head for the Mario pick, I think.

Then again, Capers leaves and the next year all 5 of our draftees are starters...who the hell knows....

11. real

real Guest

Even if we assume that Casserly was responsible for all of our draft picks...what does that mean ? We still have a lot of those picks contributing to us right now...

12. And CC is great??? Yeah ok. Casserly was just weak. If he let the coaches pick the players then what is his job exactly? Scouting talent like Wade, PBuc, Boselli, etc????

13. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

Check.

Go Babs.

14. thetexanator

thetexanator All Pro

GUYS! cmon! i say it was at least 60% cass's fault over capers. they both
    OVERPAID on wade, morlon
    drafted joppru high in the second. that was a REACH
    travisty johnson was a weak pick when carr kept getting sacked and we could have had barron.
    Tony hollings top pick in 2nd rd!!(supp)
    BABIN was a REACH, not to mention we got done by the titans on that trade.
    PBUC, Brilliant!
    Dave Ragone, 3RD ROUND pick.

the guy overpaid in the freeagent market, and could not draft in the 2, 3 rds.

he was BAD.
    and i kinda agree with that other guy, it wasnt all on cass, but he was as much of the prob as capers.

15. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He had to draft and sign players that fit Dom Capers and Vic Fangio's systems. Destined to fail at the get-go, but he made nice picks like Pro Bowlers AJ and Mathis, Dunta Robinson, Chester Pitts, Chad Stanley, Fred Weary, DD, and IMO, Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Glenn Earl, CC Brown, and Vernand Morency.

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i wont call casserly a "bust", but i will call him a "disappointment". from his results, i gather that he spent very little time observing the game of football. his decisions were made on hype and blind faith. buchannon & babin trades come to mind, along with the salaries given to weaver, robaire, wade, greendwood, and others. while it's great to trust the coaches opinions, decisions cant be made blindly upon them. someone has to hold the "NO" stamp, and casserly must've lost it in his desk. i really think casserly was little more than a turnstyle in the front office ... he didnt head up financial and was out-ranked by the coaches as far as acquiring & releasing players. because of this, there was almost no communication between the owners & staff ... which lead to outrageous salaries and players that obviously dont fit.

reeves had to be brought in to do casserly's job, and we'll see how that turns out. i'm not sure about yall, but i'm much more excited about this year's draft, coaching staff, & free agency than i have been for all 4 years combined from casserly.

17. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Dom & Cass are gone, no need to bash them, what is done is done, it is what it is.

18. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

If you want to say that Capers was the problem, who recomended him for the job? Casserly. The first few years Casserly told McNair what he needed to do. This last fall McNair did things with out Casserly and now he is gone.

How many 1st day picks are currently out of the league? Go by that. How many big money FA are now paid league minumum if they are even in the league.

Casserly was a good Head of College Scouting, but he was a bad GM. He wanted all the credit and none of the blame, just like he did in Washington.

19. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

20. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

No, is the answer to the question. Yes, he was one of our big past problems.

I thought this dead horse was mulch by now.....