Ward looked pretty good?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by silvrhand, Oct 4, 2010.

1. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

Shocked that noone started this thread, but looks like we have a good backup/fill in RB in Ward! Anyone know what went down in TB with him and why he was released/cut?

2. Rey

Rey Guest

When he scored that TD I was hoping that he wouldn't get caught from behind and stripped...

But he DID look good though.

3. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Yeah, I was pretty happy about that as well. Slaton even had a few nice runs finally. The entire running game looked great yesterday. We finally have a running game on the Texans. :texanbill:

4. drewmar74

drewmar74 disgruntled

He got caught up in a numbers game in TB. He had a starter before him and some young kid with fast wheels behind him.

They deemed him expendable and we got a backup tailback out of it.

5. 281

281 Hall of Fame

i'll give him credit, but i really think his success had more to do with his blocking. the guy is slow as molasses.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

If I'm not mistaken I think he broke a tackle and made a guy miss on his TD run...

Or maybe he just did one or the other, Can't remember...

But I do know he was contested shortly after he burst through the line...

7. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

either that or #33 from the raiders seems pretty damn fast, it's not like the raiders hire football players, they hire track stars..

8. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Tampa was fairly disappointed in his production, so they released him. They thought they had signed the 1,000 rusher that he was in New York...

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

He was part of earth wind fire in NYG. He was expected to be the #1 guy in TB, and failed.

He's again part of a trio in houston

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

I would bridle the optimism, or at least I am anyway, given how terrible Oakland's run D is.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I want to see more work from him but the way it looks now, Foster is the main guy, Ward is the guy that spells him in a normal situation, and Slaton is a guy we bring in situationally to take advantage of specific match-ups and tendencies.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

OTOH so was Tampa last year. I have a feeling the real Derrick Ward is somewhere in the middle.

13. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I have to see more of Ward before I pass any jugement on him. But, if he does work out things aught to be very interesting when Tate returns.

14. Texecutioner

Yeah, but we're heading out of week 4 now with 2 great running performances already this season and a guy who is a stud #1 RB, and our back ups played very well yesterday. I couldn't be happier with the running game currently, and it's such a huge step from the direction that Kubiak's had the running game in for the majority of the time that he's been here. He finally has it going very nicely this season, and it's great to finally have confidence in that part of our offense.

15. HardKnockTexan

HardKnockTexan All Pro

I thought he showed excellent patience. That sweep to the right took a long time to develop and he just slowly slid along the back of the line and Vonta until the very last second; then he turned the corner and got a solid gain.

16. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

that would be tyvon branch who is pretty fast. he returns kicks and ran a 4.31 at the combine in 2008

17. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

He looks like exactly what I thought he would be. He was the #2 back on that 2007 Giants SB team, and he was their most effective RB the following year on a team that ran the ball very well. It was not a good situation for him in TB where they were trying to develop young talent and get Cadillac back acclimated to playing football again. I thought this was a great pickup when we made it and it looks like its starting to pay dividends.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I think the running game in the past was more a product of the lack of talent Kubiak was left with along the OL and at RB .... They have built that line and RB group on his watch.

19. Texecutioner

Kubes made some terrible decisions early on by thinking Lundi could handle the job along with Morency and then he had faith in Green of all people and then Brown. He's been pretty bad with RB's and that history doesn't just erase itself. He sort of got lucky with Slaton somehow having that huge season and then stinking it up. He also kept Foster out of the mix last year as and could have had him playing. I'm just glad that we've got a work horse now and that the running game is finally consistent and effective. This is the running game that people expected Kubes to bring in when he came here. It wasn't supposed to take him until his 5th season to make that happen though. I'm just glad that's it here now.

20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

The history's a little wrong there, I think. I'm not arguing that mistakes weren't made but...

Kubiak never had any faith in Morency and Morency never played a down for Kubiak. Kubiak traded Morency in the preseason for Samkon Gado, a guy who has ended up being in the league a lot longer than Morency. That first season, we ended up relying on Dayne.

And Kubiak never expected to have to rely on Brown as more than a backup for Slaton. But he ended up putting Brown in the line up a lot more than he wanted to because Brown was the one running back we had that we could trust to pick up the blitz.