Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wannstedt Resigning

Veteran
Channel 10 News here in South Florida report Miami Dolphins Head Coach Dave Wannstedt is going to resign. Hilarious... :loser

He's a good coach beset with problems that most coaches wouldn't have an answer for such as the whole Williams deal. I think he's a good defensive coordinator and I hope he bounces back somewhere else. Too bad for the team. They always put a good team out there it seems but not this year.

Dave is a decent guy and this is a pretty raw deal. However, he barely kept his job after last season, so this is not exactly unexpected. He will bounce back elswhere, but probably not as a head coach.

You do realize that he didn't go to the playoffs either year he had Ricky.

He blew the call in 2002 against the Patriots with 2 minutes to go. If they run the ball 3 times it is game over. Instead the Patroits scored 11 points in 2 minutes and won in OT. It ended up eliminating both teams when the Jets won later that day.

Last year they won 10 games and didn't make the playoffs. That has only happened once in the past 20 years. It happened to the Broncos in the 80's.

I still think that Wannstedt is one of those coaches like Jerry Glanville. He gets the most out of bad talent but the least out of good talent.

This just shows how tenuous a coach's job security can be...I must admit I'm surprised how quickly the Dolphins deteriorated this year.

By the way....I'll be seeing Miami play (in Seattle on November 21); here's hoping they haven't got their act together by then. :)

Vinny said:
Wanny's Chicago Bears were a mediocre group and he turned a good Dolphin team into the Bears v2.0

I agree. The only thing I would say is that the Bears were below mediocre. He is the master at turning any talent (good or bad) into mediocre.

I must admit that I figured he'd be out of a job by season's end, but I never thought he'd resign. I figured he'd be fired at the end of the season. I wonder who'll replace him at Miami. My guess would be a first time coach or a team builder type of coach. Miami isn't in the best of situations, and they'll need to have some good drafts the next couple years to start looking like the Dolphins of old again.

texasguy346 said:
I wonder who'll replace him at Miami. My guess would be a first time coach or a team builder type of coach.

The Patriots assistant coaches are probably good candidates.

wags said:
The Patriots assistant coaches are probably good candidates.

Very true, but I'm not sure they'd want to jump on board that sinking ship. I have a feeling both of NE coaches( Weiss and Crennell) will be interviewing for nearly every HC vacancy in the NFL. I was thinking along the lines of a college coach with some NFL experience, or an assistant coach who's itching for a chance to be the HC.

On a side note, if i could take anyone from NE it would be their GM Scott Pioli.

The Dolphins will probably trade Ricky Williams and get a conditional pick or a high pick for him. They should also have one of the top 3 picks in the draft. I could easily see them drafting a QB, even though they spent a 2nd rounder on AJ Feeley. My guess is that Fielder is gone in the offseason, Feeley becomes the starter for next year, and a rookie will be waiting in the wings. They will probably try to sign Edgerrin James and drafted O-line with at least one of their other 1st day picks.

If they can retool the line, sign James and go into next season with McMichael, Chambers, Booker, and Boston as targets, they might make a big jump. The real issues will be the O-line and the QB position.

WWJD said:
He's a good coach beset with problems that most coaches wouldn't have an answer for such as the whole Williams deal. I think he's a good defensive coordinator and I hope he bounces back somewhere else. Too bad for the team. They always put a good team out there it seems but not this year.

Go back to being a defensive coordinator, that's where he really shines...

Wonder if they make a run at Drew Brees? There's the QB. Then they draft a real back who's not too busy cleaning his bong to carry a football and like TheOgre said the targets are all there. Concentrate on the big building blocks in the draft and they could get better fairly quickly. They can't get much worse.

I think he was forced out by some reports they lost Ricky Williams and David Boston before the season even started, not to mention that whole Marino thing, and with the lack of an offense and their D being exposed it was too much for that team to bear and someone had to be the scapegoat

I think they may even look to Spurrier as a replacement, even though I think he said he would wait til 2006 to coach again.

Vinny said:
Wanny's Chicago Bears were a mediocre group and he turned a good Dolphin team into the Bears v2.0

He set this team back years. Chicago fans still hate the guy. I don't think he made a good HC. I think he's one of those guys who should probably just stick to being coordinators.

Henderson98 said:
I think he was forced out by some reports they lost Ricky Williams and David Boston before the season even started, not to mention that whole Marino thing, and with the lack of an offense and their D being exposed it was too much for that team to bear and someone had to be the scapegoat

Miami has a very good defense. They are currently ranked #7. Last year they finished #9. Defense is not their problem. I'm not sure what you mean by their defense being exposed.

scourge said:
I think they may even look to Spurrier as a replacement, even though I think he said he would wait til 2006 to coach again.

I believe Spurrier has already said he isn't interested in the job.

It's important to keep in mind that the main reason for David Boston going to Miami is that his old recievers coach from Arizona was there, and he thought he'd return to his old form. If there's a new HC then there will likely be a new staff of assistants, and Boston might be as unhappy as he was at SD.

WWJD said:
Miami has a very good defense. They are currently ranked #7. Last year they finished #9. Defense is not their problem. I'm not sure what you mean by their defense being exposed.
The longer they are on the field the easier it is for other teams to figure out how to beat them, they may have the ranking but you have to think about more than just the overall numbers break them down into when they have had the most yards against them or points scored... other teams may be getting the lead and playing it safe, because they know the offense won't beat them.

Even good defenses come apart when their offense can't give them a break. We've seen that here in the past with the Oilers (Buffalo anyone?) and in 2002 when what might have been a very good defense kept the team in games sometimes by sheer force of will. They still didn't win many of them though.

If the Miami offense could hold the ball for at least half the game and put up even 20 points per game they wouldn't be anywhere near 1-8. They might not be much over .500 but Wannstedt wouldn't be resigning. Bong-boy was just the straw that broke the camels back. His running was the only thing that kept the Dolphins offense from looking this bad the past two years.

Back