Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wand May have already lost his job

BuffSoldier

Veteran
HoustonProFootball.com

Free agent signee Victor Riley saw the majority of snaps at left tackle with the first team offensive line during Monday's evening workout. Incumbent starter Seth Wand worked mostly with the second unit. Riley, a right tackle for nearly all of his pro career, struggled at times pass blocking, but showed off his brute strength when the offense ran the ball.

HoustonProFootball.com

According to these guys, after only a few days in camp, Victor Riley is already practiccing with the first thing. I for one think that this is a good thing, not just for the Texans but for Seth Wand, who needs a to play with a little more passion and intensity if you ask me. Now if Wand gets his spot back, or if Riley messes up and loses it, then I bet Wand will have some initiative not to lose it again. Competition always brings out the best in players.

I think you are partly right about lighting a fire underhim, yet I do think the Texans are working with everyone at different positions (starting/nonstarting) to give them reps (in case of someone going down to injury)

But as of now seems LT is a place that noone has come and established themselves,which is unfortuante

not sure if it's a good thing if he does loose the starting job to riley...the article states that while riley is almost like a bully in run blocking he is lacking at pass protection which is what we need the most out of that LT position...on the other hand if riley wins the starting job it leaves us with out a shadow of a doubt who our number 1 draft pick will be next year

I seriously doubt that Wand has "already lost his job" given Riley's performance when given the chance.

I think a lot of this competition for the LT spot is geared around the coaches trying to fire Wand up. Problem is, some players don't respond to those tactics. Some people respond to insults and screaming, others respond to teaching and they quietly try to improve. This is what's been said about Wand the last couple of years, always praising his work ethic, etc.

Judging from the posts on other threads on this board Wand had a great day yesterday. Then the coaches put Riley in with the first team to get smoked. That's not the way I'd build a young player's confidence. I trust the coaches know what they are doing; they certainly know the game better than me.

I guess the question is if Wand is the type of player who will ever do a lot of screaming, trash talking, and fist pumping. Is that what the coaches want? Does he need to be? Will that fix all the problems in the O-line?

Andre Johnson is arguably the quietest guy on the team. Does he need to get fired up? Travis Johnson looks like he'll be fiery. So is Peek. To each his own.

I am a big fan of the San Antonio Spurs, so I'm used to seeing people mistaking professionalism for a lack of passion and softness. Watch Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett play. Garnett sure is a fist pumping trash talker. Duncan is the polar opposite. Duncan has 2 Regular Season MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, and 3 Championship rings. Garnett has an MVP and one playoff series win. I think Spurs fans are satisfied with the quiet Duncan.

These players/sports aren't an apples to apples comparison, but I think you get my drift.

I Followed The Saints Alot Before The Texans Became The Texans And Imo Riley Will Disappear About Halfway Through The Season If Not Sooner. If He Starts We All Will Have To Hold Our Breath!!!

Runner said:
Andre Johnson is arguably the quietest guy on the team. Does he need to get fired up?
Just because AJ isn't vocal doesn't mean that he lacks attitude, because he
is a very physical, very aggressive football player, especially for a WR. No,
AJ may not be a talker, but watch his body lanquage as its full of bravado
and in his own non-vocal manner he's very fiery and intense.

nunusguy said:
Just because AJ isn't vocal doesn't mean that he lacks attitude, because he
is a very physical, very aggressive football player, especially for a WR. No,
AJ may not be a talker, but watch his body lanquage as its full of bravado
and in his own non-vocal manner he's very fiery and intense.

First of all, if you havent heard, AJ is a beast incetween the wistles. When on the field he is very agressive and physical, even if he wasnt, hes a WR not aLT. You have to be mean to play O-line not catch the ball.

From what I've seen at the practices, Riley looks out of shape and constantly bullied by the d-line. Lets hope this is just to improve Wand's motivation/intensity.

if wand loses his job to victor riley, ill come to a game in a dress and heels

You might want to start scoping out your woman's wardrobe for extra style points. According to John Lopez today on SR610, the whispers around camp are that it's Riley's job to lose. Now, it's a long way to the season yet, but that would make me a little uncomfortable about betting on Wand at this point.

TEXANRED said:
Didnt Riley give up 16 sacks last season?

I don't think Riley is the answer. I do think the coaches have gotten past "lighting a fire under Wand" and progressed to undermining his confidence and his standing with his teammates. Hard to understand their point when he isn't even the worst lineman in the starting five, just the least experienced.

At some time they are going to have to get past missing out on big name free agents, realize that the players adding depth behind Wand are not better than him, and work to make the best left tackle they have on the roster better.

Guys,

My guess is that Wand's got the job... when I think about it like the manager of business where you had people issues.

Riley is practicing to learn a new system to play backup until he can challege for the job. In Pro Football that would be by;

aa) wand screwing up so bad that a cardboard "picture of a LT" would be better... so putting Riley with at least some serious time in the position during training camp would be feasible

bb) wand gets hurt... got to put somebody in

cc) if we are bitching about Wand AND Riley next year... then, we either draft somebody else... or break out the bank role for a Pace level free agent.

Granted.. pre-season will be the limitus test and that is coming in less than two weeks.

:)

Does it worry anyone else that here we are in training camp and we are switching back and forth with our LT?

Now I know the argument that some of you will say: "It's training camp, that's where positions are fought!" Normally I would agree with this statement, however, the LT position has never been set since day 1 of this franchise. The fact that here we are getting ready to begin season 4, and nothing has still been solidified, only makes me think the coaches are worried too. How many years have we now heard "We are just trying to find the combination of the best 5 guys to have on the field."

In this quote doesn't make me feel any better:
Riley, a right tackle for nearly all of his pro career, struggled at times pass blocking, but showed off his brute strength when the offense ran the ball.

houstonprofootball.com

This is the same problem Wand has! This is the problem we are trying to fix. We are ok with the run, we are horrible with the pass.

Our LT position has quickly become our Achilles Heel.

I hear yah Texans Pride - The LT on the O-line Bah just seems like its a MOOt point and an obvious one from my PoV. Ive been beating this darn horse this whole off-season :dangit: .

If nothing else we should have a good running team again - Hopefully we will run it well enough that David will get some time to go downfield with the ball. Just a few more sessions and were into the pre-show countdown for the season.

Cant wait for the Texans/Cowboys game. I will be tripping it up to Big D for this one. IMO think that game will be the measuring stick for us as a team and will show a bit more of who and where our starters for the season will be at every position.

Texans Pride said:
Does it worry anyone else that here we are in training camp and we are switching back and forth with our LT?

I honestly think LT will still be a problem for us. I think we will be forced to use our 1st round pick in 2006 on a LT (and perhaps more if we need to trade up to get the one we want).

Their saying riley is a good run blocker and a bad pass blocker. Thats the same problem wand has and if they both struggle in the same area you might as well play the guy who already knows the scheme.

IMO a good TE would make a lot of these arguements irrelevant. A TE who could block AND catch would leave defenses guessing and not teeing off on pass plays telegraphed by personnel changes. Plus a good TE could help our LT if needed. I can't wait to see the threads on the O-line after the 1st preseason game.
:fishing:

Just watched Texans Huddle on FSSW and they interviewed Mark Vandemear (sp). Mark stated that Riley had already surpassed Wand in the LT department, and feels that as of now, he will be the starter.

A fan also asked the question who he thinks is the key to the Texans going to the playoffs this season, and his answer was none other than Victor Riley.

On defense his thought was Peek.

Thoughts?

hahahhahha........this ones for you vinny :highfive:

Sorry man, but I gotta say something.

Riley was one of the worst starting tackles last year.

AND that was on his good side, the right side.

NOW we, have him on the LEFT side, his bad side.

I'd rather have our Tight End Mark Bruener gain some weight and play LT.

hahhahahaaha.........Oh this is rich. Some people may call me a troll, but I call it how I see it. And right now I see that our O-line is still a joke after 4 years. And someone said Casserly was Underrated, whatever.

Why can't we bash the players like...after they play. What's with all this projected bashing anyway? The season starts in a few days. Is it that hard to get behind the team and perhaps bash them after they dissapoint us? I don't get this pre-emptive bashing thing.

In some ways, there is a good portion of bashing that is going on...I think you will find that anywhere that you go.

In other ways, I think people, including myself, are just presenting ideas and see what the feedback is from everyone here. I'm into the team, and that means talking about the good points and the bad points. I don't want to put Texans blinders on and say that we are great in all aspects of the game; we are fans, let's get everything out there.

I don't have any blinders on but I generally wait till they dissapoint me on the field before I start ripping them based on how I think they could play. Breaking down thier problems or areas of weakness is one thing. Just hammering the team over and over about something that hasn't happened yet is another.

I wasn't directing anything towards you. Just as you don't feel you have blinders on, I don't feel I am bashing the team by posting a quote from the "Voice of the Texans"

I think as a fan you should see the great things about the team, but you should also take a look at all aspects. That includes even the areas that may be weaker than others....That doesn't mean you are bashing the team.

I know it when I see it. If you can't see it here in spades then I'm not sure we have a debatable topic between us. I'm not adressing you specifically either. I just wish we could talk about it more intelligently as a group. It's always dissapointing to see so much foolish banter from what is an otherwise solid fan base for the most part.

Vinny said:
If you can't see it here in spades then I'm not sure we have a debatable topic between us.

Vinn, I'm not sure what this means idonno:

I just wish we could talk about it more intelligently.
I agree, a lot of topics get turned into bashing and people shooting off at the mouth.

I think Vinny is the last person we need to worry about when it comes to homerism. I'm pretty sure some of the Carr-lovers (nothing against them) have wanted to crucify him for a couple years now since he faults Carr for some things and doesn't directly blame the line every time.

DocBar said:
IMO a good TE would make a lot of these arguements irrelevant. A TE who could block AND catch would leave defenses guessing and not teeing off on pass plays telegraphed by personnel changes. Plus a good TE could help our LT if needed. I can't wait to see the threads on the O-line after the 1st preseason game.
:fishing:

They've been trying Kaliee Wong out at TE. Very interesting IMO since he's smaller than Miller or Bruener. BUT, if he can give that left side more blocking power then more power to them for giving it a try. Preseason games will be fun to watch with Wong trying out TE and R. Smith playing a little fullback!!

ledzeppelin269 said:
I think Vinny is the last person we need to worry about when it comes to homerism. I'm pretty sure some of the Carr-lovers (nothing against them) have wanted to crucify him for a couple years now since he faults Carr for some things and doesn't directly blame the line every time.

It's not called homerism. It's called optimism.
Definition
optimism
noun
the tendency to be hopeful and to emphasize the good part of a situation rather than the bad part; the belief that good things will happen in the future.

SheTexan said:
They've been trying Kaliee Wong out at TE. Very interesting IMO since he's smaller than Miller or Bruener. BUT, if he can give that left side more blocking power then more power to them for giving it a try. Preseason games will be fun to watch with Wong trying out TE and R. Smith playing a little fullback!!
Hey Grandma, you're pulling our leg about Wong at TE, right, cause I hadn't heard that one ? But now that you mention it - he's listed at 250 and has got some hands if you remember a couple interceptions he made last year that would make a DB proud. And as a LB, you know he's physical so should be
able to block. I did hear about Robaire, aka "the Fridge".

I heard it too. They are looking at guys in specific situations like around the goal line and such. They need to see players in back up roles mainly for emergency situations since you can only dress so many guys on game day.

nunusguy said:
Hey Grandma, you're pulling our leg about Wong at TE, right, cause I hadn't heard that one ? But now that you mention it - he's listed at 250 and has got some hands if you remember a couple interceptions he made last year that would make a DB proud. And as a LB, you know he's physical so should be
able to block. I did hear about Robaire, aka "the Fridge".

Not pullin your leg Honey!! Been watching it at practice, plus, they mentioned it in the Chron this morning. Maybe someone can post the link. It's a good writeup by our new Texan cover man, John McClain!! :)

KW at TE might not be a bad thing. At least the coaching staff realizes the urgency and are addressing it. May Joppru can heal up and play LB. HAHAHA
Does Bruener just have cement blocks for hands or is he even a decent receiving threat? Regardless, I still feel a solid TE will vastly improve the offense as a whole.

buckaroo_banzai said:
victor riley is rated higher than seth wand on MADDEN 06.
maybe they know something we don't :homer:
ummmm....yeah....Is this the same Madden 2006 that has a single player capable of 1,000 yds offense in a single game? Don't go to Vegas with what a video game says. :fight:

DocBar said:
Does Bruener just have cement blocks for hands or is he even a decent receiving threat? Regardless, I still feel a solid TE will vastly improve the offense as a whole.
If you play TE for the Steelers, you probably at the least have average hands. He is just never used in the offense for obivious reasons. Miller is the receiving TE and Davis is the check down option so Bruener doesnt get looks...

DocBar said:
ummmm....yeah....Is this the same Madden 2006 that has a single player capable of 1,000 yds offense in a single game? Don't go to Vegas with what a video game says. :fight:
If you play on Madden level it isnt possible. (Well, at least not for me)

buckaroo_banzai said:
maybe they know something we don't :homer:

But is this rating based on him being a RT? Manning may be a highly rated QB, but I doubt he has the same rating as a running back.

Did that make sense?

Texans Pride said:
But is this rating based on him being a RT? Manning may be a highly rated QB, but I doubt he has the same rating as a running back.

Did that make sense?

No, but i think i know what you were trying to say...A player won't have the same rating at multiple positions...but to answer your question i do believe he is listed at a LT, i could be wrong.

buckaroo_banzai said:

That should settle it then. :rolleyes:

And the last time I checked Vandermeer (sp) wasn't a Texans coach.
I think I'll wait till the season starts and see who Capers wants at LT.
I for one am not ready to give up on Wand.

cac: :coffee:

Texans Pride said:

Did that make sense?
With that great of a change in position it is. If you change a LT to a RT or a RG to LG there isnt a change in the game. But if you change a T to G or a G to T there is a change.

AndreJ said:
No, but i think i know what you were trying to say...A player won't have the same rating at multiple positions...but to answer your question i do believe he is listed at a LT, i could be wrong.
All this rating stuff is fun, but it's STILL a video game.

Back