Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Walterfootball Mock...Texans Fan.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I know there's an old Walterfootball thread somewhere but it's just that, an old thread. Walter must be a Texans fan cause he did great for us.

1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S
6. Steven Friday-OLB

I think this draft would take some luck in the 2nd and 4th rounds but if our draft fell like this I'd be thrilled.

Last edited:
If I was going to Cherry pick this is what I would tentatively do.

1. Walter: Robert Quinn-OLB
Dopp:J.J. Watt, DE Wisconsin. Quinn is a one year wonder. Watt provides
pressure from the DE spot.

2. Walter: Brandon Harris-CB
Dopp:Brooks Reed, OLB, Arizona. I like Harris, but Reed is a very good
OLB and provides additional pressure. Having a front 7 that includes
Watt, Mario, Barwin, Meco, Cush, and Reed is a very stout group and will
be able to put pressure on the QB, tackle, and defend the run.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT
Dopp: Rashad Carmichael, CB, Virginia Tech. Powe is a bad fit for Wade's
3-4. Carmichael is a solid CB prospect.

4. Deunta Williams-FS
Dopp:Nothing wrong with Williams, a solid pick.

5. Joe Lefeged-S
Dopp:Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame.

Blake

MMQB
1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S
Cherry Pick.

Keeping Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
Keeping Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
Keeping Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame

Ndevine7

Rookie
Cherry Pick.

Keeping Robert Quinn, OLB, North Carolina
Keeping Brandon Harris, CB, Miami
Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
Keeping Deunta Williams, FS, North Carolina
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
Really like this if it could happen. Quinn is a top 5 prospect IMO if he played his senior year and Harris is a very good CB just is not as good as the top 3 in this draft who are all very special talents.

Wolf6151

All Pro

3. Jerrell Powe-NT

4. Deunta Williams-FS

5. Joe Lefeged-S

Dopp, while your mock is good your 1st pick J.J. Watt is a bad pick for the Texans. Watt won't provide any QB pressure from the bench because he'd be behind Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Mario is a probowler and Antonio was our best/consistent DE last year and has experience in the 3-4 system. I'd like to have Watt on the Texans as well but ......

Dopp, while your mock is good your 1st pick J.J. Watt is a bad pick for the Texans. Watt won't provide any QB pressure from the bench because he'd be behind Antonio Smith and Mario Williams. Mario is a probowler and Antonio was our best/consistent DE last year and has experience in the 3-4 system. I'd like to have Watt on the Texans as well but ......
Wolf,
Thanks for liking my cherry pick. Yes, you are right that Mario and Smith are already here. That said, I think you gotta go BPA. In my mind that is Watt. Wade is a good coach and he will (hopefully) get the best players onto the field.

A lot of people have been seeing Watt's nonstop motor and pass rushing ability. However nobody talks about his run stopping, which is very solid. He is able to bat down passes, can block kicks, has a mean streak, can control the line of scrimmage, can take on double teams, sheds blocks, and can slip gaps. Call me crazy, but you know what all of that sounds like to me? A Wade Phillps type of NT. Think about it, he will be essentially playing 1 gap, so he will be slipping up a gap, or occupying double teams. I honestly think he could be really good at that. We could even rotate him around the DL and let him play DE on some plays and NT on others. Having someone like him is a matchup disaster waiting to happen.

He is a super hard worker so he will be welcome on a team of hard workers like AJ, Foster, Meco, Mario, and Cush.

Plus, he has that one intangible that Kubes likes in a player: he was a former Tight end!

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Watt is above average pass rusher while Camron has been called unblockable. I could live w/either player

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I know there's an old Walterfootball thread somewhere but it's just that, an old thread. Walter must be a Texans fan cause he did great for us.

1. Robert Quinn-OLB
2. Brandon Harris-CB
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
4. Deunta Williams-FS
5. Joe Lefeged-S

I think this draft would take some luck in the 2nd and 4th rounds but if our draft fell like this I'd be thrilled.
That would be sweet.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
3. Jerrell Powe-NT
Just curious.... not passing any judgement or anything.... but, do you think McCain is done?

CB is a tough position to learn at this level. McCain looked promising his rookie season. There were issues (putting it mildly) his sophomore season.

But we didn't like his coaches.

Do you think McCain & McManis are lost causes?

bah007

Hall of Fame
Just curious.... not passing any judgement or anything.... but, do you think McCain is done?

CB is a tough position to learn at this level. McCain looked promising his rookie season. There were issues (putting it mildly) his sophomore season.

I'll give my two cents on this:

I think Molden is a lost cause and if we draft or sign a CB he is the one to go.

I'm a big fan of McManis. I think he certainly has potential.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I think we could end up with a DE for two reasons: first it might be BPA and second we have zero depth at the position. If Jordan or Watt were our first round pick and we could grab Brooks Reid in the second I would be very happy. Also, grabbing a DE could give us some flexibility in how we use MW. It would also protect us against injury.

Not necessarily but Moulden is. Our CB situation was atrocious last year. It was so bad that so many combinations of corner back were tried. I don't recall Moulden getting a shot out there. So, after 3 years, and on the worst Defense of the modern era you STILL can't get a sniff, that means you are not a player.

McCain I will give a pass to since he had a great rookie year and is only finished his second year. McManis was a rook. Moulden finished his fourth year and is going into his fifth. If he had it, he would have shown it last year.

Watt is above average pass rusher while Camron has been called unblockable. I could live w/either player
What do you think of Watt's run stopping ability? Do you think he could potentially play NT in a Wade Phillips D? I think he is strong, fast, and has the right kind of skill set/attitude to be able to do it.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
What do you think of Watt's run stopping ability? Do you think he could potentially play NT in a Wade Phillips D? I think he is strong, fast, and has the right kind of skill set/attitude to be able to do it.
you might slide him over in pass rushing downs or four man fronts. I see no flaws in his tackling technique its just that he is hell bent for the election after the QB.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club

I don't think so, given that everyone regressed in secondary, I think it points to coaching. Get a guy thinking too much instead of reacting and bad things happen. Hopefully, the 2 Mc's turn it around this season. It would certainly help our defensive turnaround

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
From what I'm reading Cameron Jordan kind of reminds me of Antonio Smith (who I like). Is this a fair assumption or am I off base? Primary DE that can be moved inside in some passrushing situations.

Think of this in pure pass rushing downs:

Mario Williams - Cameron Jordan - Antonio Smith - Connor Barwin

With Cushing possibly blitzing. Demeco spying the QB. Asomugha covering the entire right side of the field and then Quin, Jackson, Rookie 2nd round Safety and either Allen or Nolan covering the other side of the field.

WOW!

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
From what I'm reading Cameron Jordan kind of reminds me of Antonio Smith (who I like). Is this a fair assumption or am I off base? Primary DE that can be moved inside in some passrushing situations.

With Cushing possibly blitzing. Demeco spying the QB. Asomugha covering the entire right side of the field and then Quin, Jackson, Rookie 2nd round Safety and either Allen or Nolan covering the other side of the field.

WOW!
If we stay at 11 I wouldn't be surprised if Jordans the guy. He's a baller. Heck, a team like SD or NE might trade up for him.

bah007

Hall of Fame

WOW!
That's a fair comparison as far as playing style. I think Jordan is a lot more physically gifted though.

texanchris

Waterboy
Would be happy if this is how our draft turns out but i have a feeling Smith is going to draft some one no one is really talking about like Ryan kerrigan. They both went to the same college and he has a lot of the characteristics that the texans value in their draft picks.

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
Would be happy if this is how our draft turns out but i have a feeling Smith is going to draft some one no one is really talking about like Ryan kerrigan. They both went to the same college and he has a lot of the characteristics that the texans value in their draft picks.
I wouldn't be upset with Kerrigan at all, he's a beast. I would REALLY be happy if we could trade back a couple spots and grab him.

3. Jerrell Powe-NT

4. Deunta Williams-FS

5. Joe Lefeged-S

Here is one where Doppelganger correctly picks JJ Watt and Brooks Reed(round and player) and is 1 round off on Carmichael!

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Here is one where Doppelganger correctly picks JJ Watt and Brooks Reed(round and player) and is 1 round off on Carmichael!
EXCELLENT JOB!

the trigger that supported the pick of Watt was decision to move Mario outside. While I understand & will support the move I would prefer a three man front of Mario-Smith-Watt.

love the Brooks pick but thought they would have to trade up to get him & didn't want to get my hopes up. so probably would have gone for Harris in 2nd spot thinking he would still be there. since Texans aquired both no need to go into what if's but I was high on Kenrick Ellis in 3rd.

4th not a huge surprise going rock, he was one of the few rumored to have ties with Texans. if he's anything like Quinn then good move. I probably would have taken Shilo over him but hey they got him in the 5th so we're all happy. :)

badboy

Hall of Fame
EXCELLENT JOB!

the trigger that supported the pick of Watt was decision to move Mario outside. While I understand & will support the move I would prefer a three man front of Mario-Smith-Watt.

love the Brooks pick but thought they would have to trade up to get him & didn't want to get my hopes up. so probably would have gone for Harris in 2nd spot thinking he would still be there. since Texans aquired both no need to go into what if's but I was high on Kenrick Ellis in 3rd.

4th not a huge surprise going rock, he was one of the few rumored to have ties with Texans. if he's anything like Quinn then good move. I probably would have taken Shilo over him but hey they got him in the 5th so we're all happy. :)
I like the Texans draft more every day. Now if we could just bring in Asomugha..

beerlover

Hall of Fame
ASO would be the crowning jewel. I would pay money to watch AJ work ASO in practice or vise versa.

Just to add one note. Ourlads rated the Texan draft above average. Only problem with that is they also rated 14 other teams as having above average drafts, which means free agency & signing a player like Nnamdi Asomugha all that more critical to a legitimate breakthrough.

Last edited:
ASO would be the crowning jewel. I would pay money to watch AJ work ASO in practice or vise versa.

Just to add one note. Ourlads rated the Texan draft above average. Only problem with that is they also rated 14 other teams as having above average drafts, which means free agency & signing a player like Nnamdi Asomugha all that more critical to a legitimate breakthrough.
I would pay money to watch Aso sit down with Jackson, Harris, Roc, etc and teach them how to play the cb position.

Hottoddie

Veteran
EXCELLENT JOB!

While I understand & will support the move I would prefer a three man front of Mario-Smith-Watt.
I totally agree. With Brooks, DeMeco, Cushing, Barwin at linebacker & if you can sign ASO,.......... oh my God. That could be one helluva defense. :yikes:

well then lads let's get er' done :wesmantexanfan:
I think it would be a good idea for AJ, Meco, Mario to head out to the Redwood National Park. They have all worked hard and it would be good for them to take a little vacation away from the hectic NFL life/training.

While they are out there, if they happen to run into Aso in Oakland, they could always casually mention how much fun it would be to play for a standup organization like the Texans and a real DC like Wade Phillips. They could mention the city would welcome him with open arms and as long he doesn't trip, he will be heralded as a conquering hero :)

:evil:

Wolf6151

All Pro
I think it would be a good idea for AJ, Meco, Mario to head out to the Redwood National Park. They have all worked hard and it would be good for them to take a little vacation away from the hectic NFL life/training.

While they are out there, if they happen to run into Aso in Oakland, they could always casually mention how much fun it would be to play for a standup organization like the Texans and a real DC like Wade Phillips. They could mention the city would welcome him with open arms and as long he doesn't trip, he will be heralded as a conquering hero :)

:evil:

Tell him that Texas does not have a state income tax, housing costs here are cheap compared with the rest of the country, and gas is a little cheaper than the national average. Not sure if Aso is married or not but tell him that the women in Texas are hot as well.

pirbroke

Veteran
Man who is Doppelganger? I need some advice on Lotto Numbers. That really is impressive and he said he liked Harris also, who would have thought we could get him and the other players. Good Job Predicting and I will be looking for your post next draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Hey I just noticed Deunta Williams and Ian Williams was not drafted, We could still get them.
I am fan of Deunta Williams also, but the reason that kept Texans (& evidently others) from drafting him stils exists. If Phillips wanted him, an UDFA contract would have been offered first minute it could have been.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
I am fan of Deunta Williams also, but the reason that kept Texans (& evidently others) from drafting him stils exists. If Phillips wanted him, an UDFA contract would have been offered first minute it could have been.
I don't think any UDFAs have had a chance to receive offers since Free Agency will not start until the CBA is completed.