WalterFootball.com 2009 Analysis of our Houston Texans

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

pbat488 likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Interesting...

3. Texan JBZ

Andre Smith got all of the hype on that Bama offensive line. But don't get it twisted. Antoine Caldwell was the best offensive lineman at Alabama - not just this year, but over the past 3 seasons. He was the glue that held that line together. We really got a steal in Caldwell, and I believe that he'll be a Pro-Bowler in 4-5 years.

4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I know Caldwell very well. I thought I had read that Myers was entrenched as the starter and Caldwell would be groomed to eventually start - hence why I found that blurb interesting.

5. Texan JBZ

I don't think (barring an injury to Myers) that Caldwell will supplant Myers as the starter at C this season. But, looking forward, next season may be a different story. It all remains to be seen, but Caldwell is the future leader of the Texans o-line.

6. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Big, mean and nasty - that's a damn center!

7. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Sage Rosenchoker? That seems a little out of place in a serious team analysis.

8. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Surprising amount of info on that site, and his Emittisms are great!

9. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

Well they are talking about facts in this article:thisbig:

10. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Overall, a pretty good write up but here are a few quibbles:

Why wouldn't you count Orlovsky as a capable backup? Especially compared to some of the backups in the league. Statistically, he wasn't that different than Schaub or Rosenfels when they first came to the Texans.

So Antonio Smith is going to stop the run from the end position but the middle is still fudgy. And the entire secondary is mediocre. How can the author be confident that the Texans are going to be much better defensively?

ST coach Marciano doesn't want long kicks. He wants hang time kicks that don't get returned.

11. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

My favorite part:

:)

12. swtbound07

swtbound07 Jackass of Day!

Mostly agreed...but I think you can call us better defensively if We've upgraded the linebacker corp significantly, and nothing else has regressed.

antonio smith > Anthony Weaver?

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Eventually isn't a real precise measurement of time though. Eventually could mean in 3 years or tomorrow.

The defense does LOOK better to me too. Cushing is a big upgrade, if Adibi continues his play he was a large part of the surge the D tried to put on. If young guys like Okoye and Bennett step it up this year that's a huge, huge plus in two weak sections. Antonio Smith>Weaver. The real big question is STILL safety. Wilson was nice last year but keep it up (up to what, medium good?) and Barber is their guy so I guess I'll take a big ol' swig of juice for him. If the CBs can evolve into their capabilities maybe S doesn't stand out quite so glaringly but otherwise, 2ndary is still the biggest issue personnel wise on the team.

14. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I do. In fact, I pretty much agree with the article. I think the staff may put Myers out there as the starter for Game One, but Caldwell will force their hand. He won't be denied.

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

walterfootball is a fine FREE resource to monitor, they have passion for the game & provide a useful catch-all site to do research on everything/anything NFL related-

when it comes to the Texans this board right here is where you need to tune in to get real time insight, great posters like Texans_Chick, AJ or LZ just to name a few will remain my source of reference along with pay services-

Meyers is still young & just now coming into his own playing in Gibbs system is taylor-made, expect to see him be the starting Center here for a while unless some unfortunate injury. Caldwell is versatile & can play both guard positions, to me with his reach & footwork he looks like a natural LG-

:)

16. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Good article.

Point I agreed on though was problems at RG and C. Most of the board and the staff seems to be ok with Brisiel at RG, which I'm fine with granted Myers gets suplanted at C, which I think he will sooner then later.

I'm glad we made the trade for Myers and I think he an upgrade over what we've pretended to have at center the past few years. He's an adequate starter who could get better if he gets in the weight room and gets stronger at the point of attack. He's ok between the 20's but when the defense is backed up on the goal line he struggles. I think he's going to get pushed all TC by Caldwell, who reminds of me our last player we selected from Alabma. Talented enough to play 3 positions but will end up in the middle.

From what I remember BL Caldwell was getting snaps at Center in OTAs and I expect that's where the staff wants him.

17. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Well having a fudgy middle and a medicore secondary as the biggest problems on D represents a huge upgrade. Think about it.

Besides, doesn't everyone have a fudgy middle? :user:

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The guy didn't watch enough Texans' games![​IMG]

19. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

They seem really down on Brisiel, as do many of the posters on this MB. But, I don't recall Brisiel getting more penalties than anyone else on the OL. :thinking:

Right Guard: The oft-penalized Mike Brisiel needs to be upgraded. Drafted Antoine Caldwell; signed Adrian Jones

Does anyone have the stats on the OL penalties to prove this?

20. danger6

danger6 Rookie

I saw someone mention Pro Football Weekly - Season Preview 2009 (the publication, not the web site) that said:

"RG Mike Brisiel is a hardworking player who makes the most of his ability, but he must cut down on his mistakes (3 false starts, 3 holding penalties)"

That is all I could come up with for you.