WalterFootball 2010 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Mock Draft Talk' started by Texan4Ever, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

WalterFootball has an updated mock draft with the Texans taking Dan Williams, defensive tackle from Tennessee:

I like Dan Williams and I don't have any problems with this pick if Donovan Warren and Joe Haden are both gone. Williams is not only a best in the trenches but he can get after the QB and do more then just take up space.

2. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

There's a lot of talk about Williams not being a self starter. The last thing this D-Line needs is another 1st round D-lineman who has to be motivated to play. One Williams who has to be told to play hard is enough for me.

If Price is there I would consider him, but I can't get excited about Williams.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Admittedly, I've just begun taking a look at this years crop. That said, one thing that I've seen quite a bit while reading up on Williams is that his game is very inconsistent.

I understand these analysis are oft incorrect. I just thought I'd point it out.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=2435

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1125522

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/DT/Dan-Williams.php

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Sounds eerily Johnsonesque to me...

5. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Agree. If we go DT in round one I would much rather have Price. Not only is he more talented, but I think he fits our style of play better.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Walter missed this one. He needs to go back to his Jonathan Dwyer pick.

7. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

We don't need to take another boom or bust DT in the 1st. Johnson was an absolute bust. He played decent in his last year, but we ended up basically trading the #16 pick for a 6th round pick. As for Okoye, he got drafted in the top 10 because of his age not his ability. He was a borderline 1st round talent, but because he was so young he went in the top 10. I don't like taking DT's in the 1st because many of them bust.

We don't need an elite DT. We just need 4 good ones. Okoye and Cody are decent players and Robinson is serviceable. We should just add a DT in the 3rd-5th range and be done with it. We did fine stopping the run last year without an elite DT.

8. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That's fine and dandy, but what about the pass rush? Do you know how many times near-sacks by our DE would have turned into sacks or pressures rather than easy completions if we had anybody who could force pressure, or merely hold their ground in the middle? There's really no question that we need a DT, and if we feel like one available to us in round one will be a good player, we need to take him.

Giant Tiger likes this.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Agreed. If Price is on the board and Thomas is gone I would have a hard time passing on him.

Our DTs do fine against the run but we need a guy that can also penetrate on passing downs. Price is both of those things.

10. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

DraftCountdown has us taking Brian Price from UCLA in the updated mock. Guess I need to see more game tape before I start making comments about him.

11. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

It might be that they, the Texans picked the position I was banging for the last couple of drafts, but my knee jerk is our scouts have done a pretty good job. If Walter's has inside info....and I didn't watch a lot of UCLA football so I don't know.... but my knee jerk is there is no one on this board who is going to get to Mr. Manning any quicker, any faster, than what they already have on the roster. And as far as Brian Price, Carrigington, C.J. Willson, or Ordick are concerned, they are all good rotation guys and would make us better. But unless a one year lame duck coach knows something we all don't, Kubiak will be drafting to save his contract. Mr. McClain keeps putting it out there that we're taking a skinny quick DT...so it's coming from somewhere. Looks like coach smoke to me to get to Iupati.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Their 4 round mock now has us taking:

1. Dan Williams, DT Tennessee
    2. Kyle Wilson, CB Boise St.
    3. Toby Gerhart, RB Stanford
    4. Mike Petrus, G Arkansas

That's a pretty good haul if you ask me. Still nervous about DW though.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

That would be fantastic. I am not a huge Williams fan, but the next 3 picks kick ass.

14. WolverineFan

I'm not too high on Williams, but he has played well at the Senior Bowl so that's a start.

Getting Wilson in the 2nd would be awesome. As it stands now there's no way he lasts that long.

I'm not very high on Gerhart, especially in the 3rd round. There's better players available.

Petrus is a good prospect, but I doubt he lasts until the 4th round.

15. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Yea, what was interesting is that they had Jonathan Dwyer taken AFTER our 2nd round pick. If the board was set up like they had it I'd love a trade down (like for Duane Brown). So just pretending we could and going back to Cherry Pick, I like this.

Late 1st: CB Kyle Wilson/Perrish Cox
    2nd: RB Jonathan Dwyer
    3rd: FS Morgan Burnett
    Extra 3rd: WR/RB Dexter McCluster
    4th: OG Mitch Petrus

Trade the Travis Johnson pick to Denver for OG Chris Kuper and pick up a DT in Free Agency. We'd be set.

16. Blake

Blake MMQB

He lists Lamarr Houston as the Colts pick at 32. Does anyone see him going this high?

I was thinking he would be a great 3rd round selection.

FS Earl Thomas
    CB Kyle Wilson
    DT Lamarr Houston

17. WolverineFan

Houston will probably work his way into the 2nd round after the combine. I can see him getting picked in the late 2nd round, but not in the 1st.

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I'm waiting until after the SR bowl to do a complete mock but here's 5 rds. I'll give a choice and a 2nd choice. This is after watching the practices.

Rd 1 D.Williams,Dwyer, ( Iupati, Thomas and Spiller are gone)
    Rd 2 K.Wilson, B.Ghee (These are 2 possible no.1 CB's in draft, they fall because draft is loaded at CB)
    Rd 3 J.Asamoah,M.Johnson (Asamoah falls because of injury and short arms.) He is a big strong mobile guy, He or Johnson should be here and would be a great pick.
    Rd 4 Chris Cook, M.Rolle (Cook is a big athletic CB who has looked good this week playing S.) He can cover the slot WR. Rolle a Rhodes Scholar would be a Smithiak kind of guy
    Rd5 Stafon Johnson, L.Coker (Goal line RB at USC has good hands and is good at pass pro. Wouldn't be here except for weight lifting accident, Coker, think Chris Johnson)
    Rd 5 Carrington,Newhouse (Has been a revelation this week powerful yet quick at 280lbs he can play DE or drop down to DT in pass rush situations. Newhouse big guy who can move 3 yr starter and team leader)

These are just some observations, let me know if I'm right on evals and what rds these guys go in.

19. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Lamaar Houston is going up the boards and he might be a suprise 1st rounder to the Colts (late first of course). Stat wise he is the best or one of the best DTs in the draft and he is a solid football player who doesn't have off the field issues like some of the other guys on the Horns' roster.

20. WolverineFan

1st RD - It's a tad early for Williams, but really the only place we can grab him. Dwyer could be had later if we traded back.

2nd RD - Dont' see us being able to get Wilson or Ghee. By our pick they will be gone.

3rd RD - Mike Johnson will be gone way before our pick in the 3rd.

4th RD - After the Senior Bowl I seriously doubt Rolle gets out of the 3rd round.

5th RD - Carrington has had a good Senior Bowl and he should be available in our pick area. His game is very similar to A. Smith's though.

threetoedpete likes this.