Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Walter Is Officially Ours!!

I hope that Walters can be the Texans' Joe Jurivicious. Get open, catch the ball when thrown to him, and make plays. He doesn't need to be the fastest, strongest, just make plays.

David's Busted Carr said:
Alright! We have our #4 WR all locked up! Now if we can just get a legit #2 and #3 WR we'd be set....

Well I think that Walter cna be the #3 provided the Texans get Burleson, but that's a big if.

bigTEXan8 said:
Well I think that Walter cna be the #3 provided the Texans get Burleson, but that's a big if.

If we don't get burleson or hilliard, then we will have like 3 #4 recievers and no #2. we'd be in bad shape

Sounds like he is in the Joe Juerivious (sp?) mold. Big guy that can catch the middle, not afraid of going over the middle. We can only hope he develops into that type player. Good signing I say.

Excellent signing and I'm very happy we landed him. I picked him up for a few weeks on my dynasty team and I made it a point to watch him in a few games last year due to that. He will end up a fan favorite here. I'm not happy about the offseason much as a whole but I am really pleased with this one. I think this guy is going to be good here in this offense.

Sounds like just what we need. A possession receiver who can help us keep drives going. You can't have a team full of deep threats. You have to have guys who can and are willing to do the dirty work and get first downs. Hopefully Putzier and Walters can be those guys for us. They should be able to complement our playmakers (Bush and Johnson) well.

tulexan said:
Sounds like just what we need. A possession receiver who can help us keep drives going. You can't have a team full of deep threats. You have to have guys who can and are willing to do the dirty work and get first downs. Hopefully Putzier and Walters can be those guys for us. They should be able to complement our playmakers (Bush and Johnson) well.
I totally agree with you on that...

Vinny said:
Excellent signing and I'm very happy we landed him. I picked him up for a few weeks on my dynasty team and I made it a point to watch him in a few games last year due to that. He will end up a fan favorite here. I'm not happy about the offseason much as a whole but I am really pleased with this one. I think this guy is going to be good here in this offense.

Vinny with you on this one. As you watched the game didnt he remind you of a Joe Jurevicious or Ed McCaffrey just still learning the position. I think he will excel here and put up the same type of numbers Gaff did. Hopefully Carr, AJ, and Mathis are working their asses off. Mainly Mathis the kid has the talent to be a stud, but I want to see the heart and work ethic.

PokerStar said:
Vinny with you on this one. As you watched the game didnt he remind you of a Joe Jurevicious or Ed McCaffrey just still learning the position. I think he will excel here and put up the same type of numbers Gaff did. Hopefully Carr, AJ, and Mathis are working their asses off. Mainly Mathis the kid has the talent to be a stud, but I want to see the heart and work ethic.

I actually think we will put up better numbers than Gaffney did. I also hope that Mathis working hard as well. Was watching the NFL channel with the special on the bears. They spoke with Will Gault. Man his speed was unreal (4.03 in the 40) but he was flopping all over the place. Don't want Mathis to be like that.

beerlover said:
seems to satisfy a need so taking a WR high in the draft is no longer necessary. :)

Yes it does, but I'd still like to see Chad Jackson fall to them with one of their picks.

beerlover, first off love the name a case of heineken or Norwegian black ale and some Hennessey(dont know if I spelled that right) is the recipe for a good time.

Second, I agree, eventhough I would like to see us take Brandon Marshall in the 3rd. That would give us a stud in AJ, two tall receivers in Marshall and Walter, eventhough Marshall is much more athletic, and a speedster in mathis and hopefully not Bush but Bush. Armstrong is that sweet possession receiver that just cannot create enough seperation for me. I think we should have let him walk, but if he can crack the roster and work on his breaks he will turn into a solid guy.

TexanFan881 said:
I hope he can fall to us in the second round, but I doubt that.
Same here, if he does and we pass on him, I would have to question Charlie.....imagine the size we would have at our 1st, 2nd and 3rd Receivers....man. I also wouldn't mind Burleson here either and give up our second 3rd is well worth it to me.

LCROD said:
Stranger things have happened. We all remember Portis being a 2nd rounder.
I remember that oh too well, I broke my TV set after the pic was announced. Also, can anyone remember last year......Derrick Johnson. There was no way he was suppose to slip to the Texans and what happened...

El Amigo Invisible said:
We got TJ? What a joke! DJ has gotten faster and stronger ...............aghhhhhh!! It makes me sick!

I'll wait for my judgement till we use the 2nd 3rd round pick..before I make any opinions

I think that Walter will make an excellent posession WR, which is something the Texans, I felt, didn't have last year.

Wolf said:
I'll wait for my judgement till we use the 2nd 3rd round pick..before I make any opinions

Yeah i'm not the hugest Casserly fan but i agree with watching what we do with the picks....if we give up a 3rd and get Burleson....we came out on top already. DJ was better than TJ last year....but its not like he was unbelievable. I mean i go to UT so i was pretty excited when he fell to us too. But soon realized that he didn't fit in our def. scheme. And you can't blame the GM for addressing that. No one saw last season coming and the fact we would be switching to a scheme that needed an elite MLB.

These picks are being made to compliment Reggie Bush's break away game. Think of Walter the downfield blocker first, possession receiver second. The people this staff are getting have the attributes needed to exploit Bush's open field skills - big rangy receivers and tight ends ready to mix it up and nail the break away block for example. Pretty exciting stuff.

kingh99 said:
These picks are being made to compliment Reggie Bush's break away game. Think of Walter the downfield blocker first, possession receiver second. The people this staff are getting have the attributes needed to exploit Bush's open field skills - big rangy receivers and tight ends ready to mix it up and nail the break away block for example. Pretty exciting stuff.
These changes also benefit DD. But it does look like... fertile soil Bush.:spy:

kingh99 said:

This is an interesting point, made more so by it's being a fresh view. I kept wondering why reviews always mentioned his blocking skills, which is kind of an odd thing to stress for a receiver. I never made the connection. He might end up making a good block or two for Dre on one of his "catch and runs" too".

I never really thought about it having to do with Reggie Bush but when I read his profile and it said he was a good blocker I did think that he might be here to help the running game a little bit.

Kookus said:
I agree with you, it just seems like we keep adding overpaid mediocre at best talent to fill glaring needs on our team.

"Despite that fact, Walter delivered career highs in catches (19), receiving yards (211) and touchdowns (1) this past season. He also proved to be a solid blocker in the Bengals’ 11th-ranked rushing offense, and was one of the team's best special teams players.

The 255th overall pick by the New York Giants out of Eastern Michigan, Walter was waived by New York at the end of his rookie training camp. The Bengals acquired him on waivers, and Walter was on the practice squad for five games before being activated to the 53-man roster. He caught three passes for 18 yards in 2003, and followed that performance with eight grabs for 67 yards in 2004."

THIS GUY IS A SCRUB! STOP THE PAIN! GET SOME PLAYERS WHO ACTUALLY MAKE A TEAM!

First before you call a guy a SCRUB do some research, If you are a true football knowledge guru about who makes a team or how a player makes it in the NFL.

I have read some of these threads and many are great and realize what kind of player you are getting in the STEAL of a deal.

First of all this guy is 6'4" plays around 212-218 lbs. He runs between a 4.4 and a 4.45 on average. Has AWESOME hands. He is a physical player, when he came out of college he was benching over 400lbs. That is LINEMAN strength.

The only reason he was let go in NY is rookie year if you know anything about the Giants they had 9 WRs in training camp and that included locks in 3 positions with Hilliard, Toomer, and Carter, leaving 6 guys to fight for 1/2 spots and one of those spots was a Return guy. not great odds there.

There was a reason he did not last 24 hours on the waiver wire and was picked up by the Bengals and moved to the starting 53 man roster within weeks of learning their system (NOT MAKE A TEAM, HMMM). Again playing behind superstars, #1 WR in NFL Chad Johnson, lets not for get TJ. The Bengals drafted Kelly Washington in the early rounds (BUST). A true professional finds a way to contribute any way possible to help the team win.

He became the Bengals ACE on special teams as a gunner and always one of the first down field dispute being double teamed at the line of scrimmage. A professional waits for his number to be called and when it is HE SHINES. That is what Kevin did in Cinci, including being a major player in the playoff game in the first round when they lost Carson and another WR in the first play of the game on offense. Did Cinci go to Kelly Washington (high round draft pick), NO they went to a reliable confident player KEVIN WALTER.

He does not ask for much, but he will give you all his heart when he is on that field to WIN. If you look at Kevin's stats you will see almost all of his receptions moved the chains, that is why he is compared to a Joe Jerivicous and an Ed McCaffrey.

I believe he will be your #2 by the time the season starts and if you guys get Carr some time to let his plays develop before he is on his rear (durable guy as many times as he has been sacked in his short career), you will see an offense that will produce and better yet WIN GAMES!!!

Kevin will be a workout warrior like you all like.

Your WR core is much much better with the addition of Kevin. I am a big fan of AJ and Kevin will help with those double and triple teams on AJ and if they don't teams will get burned until they respect Kevin and then AJ will be in the Probowl again!!! and again!!!

Bearfan Blue and Orange said:
First before you call a guy a SCRUB do some research, If you are a true football knowledge guru about who makes a team or how a player makes it in the NFL.

I have read some of these threads and many are great and realize what kind of player you are getting in the STEAL of a deal.

First of all this guy is 6'4" plays around 212-218 lbs. He runs between a 4.4 and a 4.45 on average. Has AWESOME hands. He is a physical player, when he came out of college he was benching over 400lbs. That is LINEMAN strength.

The only reason he was let go in NY is rookie year if you know anything about the Giants they had 9 WRs in training camp and that included locks in 3 positions with Hilliard, Toomer, and Carter, leaving 6 guys to fight for 1/2 spots and one of those spots was a Return guy. not great odds there.

There was a reason he did not last 24 hours on the waiver wire and was picked up by the Bengals and moved to the starting 53 man roster within weeks of learning their system (NOT MAKE A TEAM, HMMM). Again playing behind superstars, #1 WR in NFL Chad Johnson, lets not for get TJ. The Bengals drafted Kelly Washington in the early rounds (BUST). A true professional finds a way to contribute any way possible to help the team win.

He became the Bengals ACE on special teams as a gunner and always one of the first down field dispute being double teamed at the line of scrimmage. A professional waits for his number to be called and when it is HE SHINES. That is what Kevin did in Cinci, including being a major player in the playoff game in the first round when they lost Carson and another WR in the first play of the game on offense. Did Cinci go to Kelly Washington (high round draft pick), NO they went to a reliable confident player KEVIN WALTER.

He does not ask for much, but he will give you all his heart when he is on that field to WIN. If you look at Kevin's stats you will see almost all of his receptions moved the chains, that is why he is compared to a Joe Jerivicous and an Ed McCaffrey.

I believe he will be your #2 by the time the season starts and if you guys get Carr some time to let his plays develop before he is on his rear (durable guy as many times as he has been sacked in his short career), you will see an offense that will produce and better yet WIN GAMES!!!

Kevin will be a workout warrior like you all like.

Your WR core is much much better with the addition of Kevin. I am a big fan of AJ and Kevin will help with those double and triple teams on AJ and if they don't teams will get burned until they respect Kevin and then AJ will be in the Probowl again!!! and again!!!

I agree with you, I just don't get it. The guy is a possession receiver and he's bigger than those we let go. He's a blocker as well and that fits in with AJ and the probable 1st round pick of Bush. Yes, they can catch the ball and can get yardage after the catch, but they can also spring a back like Reggie. Neither one is really slow either.

Despite that they think this was a Casserly pick instead of a Kubiak want. I keep saying on paper we are looking very exciting. The main question will be chemistry. We have not had it the last couple of years, but I blame that also on the coaches. I think there is an enthusiasm throughout the organization and the coaches are a big part of that to start with. I can't wait for the draft and the start of TC. We all could have big smiles on our faces this year if it goes our way.

Offensively we could be a handful this year. I think our major problems will be with our defense. Its difficult to take care of both at the same time and our defense aged before its time. I maintain the injuries in Year 2 did us in and we are still recovering from that debacle.

I would hope with a new coaching staff and regiment we will see fewer injuries this year. I still feel we are having way too many injuries. That is a gut feel. The weight room can build muscles, but it can also tear them down. There is a happy medium.......

Did we overpay for Walter? who knows....hmmm....How much did the Lions pay stonehands Corey Bradford?

I went to the bengals forums and not a single person was happy to see Walters leaving. They also kept talking about what great hands he has (Don't hear that very often about a Texans' Wideout.) That is good news for us. I am VERY happy with this pick up.

Yeah he was the #4 reciever on the bengals last year. But based on last years performance Andre Johnson would have been the #3 guy on that team.

People need to relax on the whole Casserly issue. Kubiak is the main guy calling the shots on who we pick up, and Casserly is helping to get the players Kubiak wants.

If we have a bad season Casserly is gone. Period. So I don't see how this is a big deal. If we win he stays, and maybe, just maybe we might realize Capers was a big part of our losing. Casserly hasn't done that bad in the draft for us, compared to how other teams have done the last few years. As a Horns fan I haven't always been happy with his picks (on an emotional level), but I can see the logic and the almost always make good football sense.

LBC_Justin said:
Yeah he was the #4 reciever on the bengals last year. But based on last years performance Andre Johnson would have been the #3 guy on that team.

Nice example.

LBC_Justin said:
Did we overpay for Walter? who knows....hmmm....How much did the Lions pay stonehands Corey Bradford?

I went to the bengals forums and not a single person was happy to see Walters leaving. They also kept talking about what great hands he has (Don't hear that very often about a Texans' Wideout.) That is good news for us. I am VERY happy with this pick up.

People need to relax on the whole Casserly issue. Kubiak is the main guy calling the shots on who we pick up, and Casserly is helping to get the players Kubiak wants.

If we have a bad season Casserly is gone. Period. So I don't see how this is a big deal. If we win he stays, and maybe, just maybe we might realize Capers was a big part of our losing. Casserly hasn't done that bad in the draft for us, compared to how other teams have done the last few years. As a Horns fan I haven't always been happy with his picks (on an emotional level), but I can see the logic and the almost always make good football sense.

Sounds good. All I know about the guy is last year's statline, but having not seen him myself, I wouldn't claim to know. By all accounts I'm reading here, he is a character guy with size and ability to boot. I hope he is as good as he is being pumped up to be here, and at the end of the day, I am trusting our new FO is doing their homework. Will look forward to seeing the finished product in action ... September literally cannot be here fast enough.

So what the deal with this Nate Burleson guy the name is farmiliar but what does he bring to table for us if we were to pick him up. Also are there rumors of any talks between the Texans and Burleson.

Hawg said:
So what the deal with this Nate Burleson guy the name is farmiliar but what does he ring to table for if we were to pick him up. Also are there rumors of any talks between the Texans and Burleson.

He played for Nevada in college, then was drafted by the Vikings, had a break out year 2, year 3 was hampered by injuries.

Wow, we're getting pretty deep at WR.

Hopefully, Mathis will ge the chance to see some action at WR still. I think he could have a tremendous upside if we give him some time. But it's also good for him to compete with some really good WR. Let's just hope he's not a 1-trick pony.

Why are you so happy about this pickup???

Corey Bradford: 34-436-5
Jabbar Gaffney: 55-492-2
Kevin Walter: 19-211-1

Also in all 3 of my 12 team, 53 man roster FF leagues Mathis, Armstrong, Gaffney and Bradford were all on a roster...

Walter was not on any team in any league...

Yeah I know it is only fantasy football, but in FF you pick players that will produce points, a WR produces points by catching passes, making yardage and scoring touchdowns. He did none of these...

While I like the new coach I very much dislike Casserly and hope the Texans do better with the rookie draft than they have in FA...

Their record in drafting rookies is pitiful but not nearly as bad as their record in free agency...

GrandPa said:

Also in all 3 of my 12 team, 53 man roster FF leagues Mathis, Armstrong, Gaffney and Bradford were all on a roster...

Yeah I know it is only fantasy football, but in FF you pick players that will produce points, a WR produces points by catching passes, making yardage and scoring touchdowns. He did none of these...

While I like the new coach I very much dislike Casserly and hope the Texans do better with the rookie draft than they have in FA...

Their record in drafting rookies is pitiful but not nearly as bad as their record in free agency...

Actually unless you are starting 4 or 5 WR both of the guys you put above Kevin Suck fantasy wise. Not to mention most of those cam when the Texans were trailing by large number and late in games according to situational stats.

I learned a long time ago you draft with your head, not your heart. These two guys also had opportunities more than Kevin.

When the Texans were behind they played many 3 and some 4 WR sets. Cinci mostly played 2 WR sets (do you know what that means.... The #1 WR in the NFL chad johnson and TJ were on the field.) because the Bengals had the lead.

Noone said to do back flips for Kevin coming there, at least not yet. What you need is CONSISTANT, disciplined players that can contribute and take some pressure not only off PROBOWLER AJ, but also CARR now that he will have someone to throw to. and will catch the ball, fight for extra yards... and did I mention having 2 6'4" guys in the end zone, what are defenders going to do when AJ goes one way and Kevin goes the other and Carr can now have the confidence of two BIG great hand targets in the RED ZONE.

GrandPa said:

Stats don't tell the whole story.

Fantasy Football is a joke when it comes to evaluating players. Might as well just turn on an Xbox and load up Madden to see how good players are going to be. LOL.

Walter is a guy like Keshawn Johnson minus the attitude problems. He is a big guy that can go over the middle and open up the outside for your "star" recievers. Walter is the kind of guy that can get a keep a drive alive with a key first down or make a big block. Do they keep track of that in fantasy football? I don't think so. Walter is the kind of guy who will do the stuff that is not sexy, but helps the team.

Is he a block buster signing? No. But he is one more step in moving this franchise in a positive direction.

LBC_Justin said:
Stats don't tell the whole story.

Fantasy Football is a joke when it comes to evaluating players. Might as well just turn on an Xbox and load up Madden to see how good players are going to be. LOL.

Walter is a guy like Keshawn Johnson minus the attitude problems. He is a big guy that can go over the middle and open up the outside for your "star" recievers. Walter is the kind of guy that can get a keep a drive alive with a key first down or make a big block. Do they keep track of that in fantasy football? I don't think so. Walter is the kind of guy who will do the stuff that is not sexy, but helps the team.

Is he a block buster signing? No. But he is one more step in moving this franchise in a positive direction.

Great post from a knowledge filled football fan!!! GO TEXANS!!!

BlueTexan said:
I was gonna say the same about you. Thanks for the informative post. I think he will be a Steve Tasker type WR but bigger of course.

This is going to sound crazy and the crack pipe is really empty when I say this.

If you look at the additions made thus far with free agancy and healthy players coming back, I do not think they are going to "chase" a WR for the #2 spot right now. I truely believe they think they have a legitimate #2 in Walter and Mathis to compete and if Kevin is #2 and Mathis #3, what is so bad with that lineup and vice versa. Not to mention you add in the mix Putzier!!!

Besides, I do not think they offered Kevin money like they did without knowing the Bengals would not match and no other teams would jump over them. The coaching staff sees some major value there. Is he an AJ, not yet, Could he be, maybe. Kevin will definitely benefit from continuing development from a class act Probowler like AJ. I believe he is suppose to get into Texas today sometime and is excited to get into the workouts and meet his new team!! On the flip side if AJ helps Kevin get better that is going to allow AJ to shine and get back tot he ProBowl. and if that happens guess what, all the Carr bashing minimizes!!! Everyone is happy!!!

It is good to be greedy and want the moon, but at some point you have to realize, especially if Bush is coming here, we need to build a depth of quality players. Hmmm do you see a modeling here of a Superbowl team of recent... Patriots!!!

Bearfan Blue and Orange said:
Not to mention you add in the mix Putzier!!!

Don't forget to throw Bush in the slot 10-15 plays a game. That is the key dimension to the offense this season.

I'm dreaming of 4 wideout sets and an offensive line blocking 4, maybe even 5 pass rushers. Big Dave looking all over the field and avoiding a defender or two that sneak by the line. I'm having visions of run and shoot... Tech's spread offense... the 2002 St. Louis Rams... no the 2000 Rams. Please don't wake me....

March 19, 2006, 12:15AM
Texans win fight for Walter
Bengals decide not to match offer to retain receiver

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

After a week of waiting, wide receiver Kevin Walter finally was able to make plans. Six days after the Texans offered Walter a four-year deal worth $6.4 million, the Cincinnati Bengals announced they would not match the offer sheet.

"My wife and I were waiting all week," said Walter, whose deal includes a $2 million signing bonus. "We were on pins and needles all week, trying to figure out if we were going back to Cincinnati or heading to Houston. We are very excited."

The Texans must compensate the Bengals by giving them their seventh-round choice in next month's draft. Walter is their latest free-agent addition, but he likely won't be their last. They have several free agents to meet with this week, including wide receivers Ike Hilliard and Nate Burleson, tight end Jeb Putzier and middle linebacker Sam Cowart.

Walter expects to join the Texans on Tuesday — one day after the team officially begins its offseason training program.

In three seasons with the Bengals, Walter started two games and caught 30 passes for 296 yards (9.9 yards per catch). He had his best season in 2005, catching 19 passes for 211 yards (11.1 average).

Walter hopes to watch a turnaround similar to the one he saw in Cincinnati last year unfold in Houston.

The year before Walter joined the Bengals as a seventh-round draft pick in 2003, Cincinnati finished 2-14. In '03, Marvin Lewis was hired as the coach. Last year, the Bengals finished 11-5 and reached the playoffs.

"I see it as a very similar situation in Houston," Walter said. "The Texans brought in a new coach with Gary Kubiak, and they are bringing some new guys in. You want to be part of a turnaround like that. I'm looking forward to it."

Walter helps boost a depleted receiving corps. The Texans lost Corey Bradford and Jabar Gaffney via free agency last week.

"We're pleased to have acquired him," Texans general manager Charley Casserly said. "The reason we targeted him on the first day of free agency was because we thought he was a good young talent."

Walter, 25, played college football at Eastern Michigan. Aside from playing receiver, he also was a special-teams standout for the Bengals.

"Kevin has been a fine player for us, and he deserves the opportunity he'll get in Houston to be a starting receiver," Lewis said in a statement issued by the Bengals.

megan.manfull@chron.com

the wonger need food said:
Don't forget to throw Bush in the slot 10-15 plays a game. That is the key dimension to the offense this season.

I'm dreaming of 4 wideout sets and an offensive line blocking 4, maybe even 5 pass rushers. Big Dave looking all over the field and avoiding a defender or two that sneak by the line. I'm having visions of run and shoot... Tech's spread offense... the 2002 St. Louis Rams... no the 2000 Rams. Please don't wake me....

They are certainly moving towards some variation of that. They've added a quality pass catching TE and FB. Having those two plus Bush will give Carr 3 guys other than WRs to throw to. They can line up with two wide plus Bush in the slot and Cook in the backfield. That would give them 4 receivers going downfield with Cook there to block and to leek out as the safety valve....or Bush could stay in the backfield and force the defense to respect the run. Or they can line up 3 receivers with Bush as the lone back. Or have Davis as the lone back with Bush in the slot and AJ and Walter wide. Should be a fun offense to watch.

Back