Wall-Eyed Man Boobs and Firing Wade Phillips

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by DocBar, Nov 23, 2013.

1. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

[​IMG]
    As we all know, Phillips is not the answer on the D side of the ball or as HC. This is a good article on his failures as Texans DC and why they are where they are. The pic just seems to solidify the connection from Capers to Kubiak/Phillips. Lost and confused.

LINK

2. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

It would seem to me that we have to start drafting some better defensive players in the upcoming draft. We completely dropped the ball in the last draft by selecting guys like Sam Montgomery and Trevardo Williams. I want to hold somebody accountable for those mistakes whether it's Rick Smith or even Wade Phillips, as I'm sure he had some input on drafting those players.

It's not rocket science to suggest our talent level on defense has gotten much worse in recent off-seasons. Add to that, we've seen a huge decline in the overall game of Johnathan Joseph and Danieal Manning, who is now injury prone late in his career. The bottom line is we need more young talent on the defensive line, inside linebacker and in the secondary.

I kind of hope we move to a 4-3 defense in 2014, as I feel that's the quickest way for us to improve defensively. We currently don't have the personnel to run a successful 3-4 defense. I'm tired of seeing Houston drafting guys we believe can fit our system even if we reach on them. We need to always draft the best player available and then worry about fitting them in once they're on the team.

3. Grams

Grams Subscribed Contributor

Wade has always made a difference on defense the first year or two when he takes over a defense. After that they always seem to go back to just a little better than average. Could be he is better with players already on a team than evaluating talent of college kids.

At least a little better than average is a whole lot better that what we had before he got here.

But it is time to move on. We need a clean sweep of all the coaches and GM and make the scouting staff also.

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Wade identified Watt and took a lot of heat from fans for passing on Nick Fairley. But you're right. Time for a fresh start with a new regime.

5. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

it's always been an interesting debate on this aspect.. why can't he consistently field a good defense?

6. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

I've thought that Wade is a little in over his head in today's NFL and looks a bit lost. Reed's comment about being surprised by the lack of sophistication of the defense was pretty damning. Say what you will about Reed, I tend to believe him on this one given his track record and where he came from.

Wade needs to go, along with everyone else. I don't think a new HC comes in without the ability to build his whole staff. He doesn't need a defensive fossil hanging around.

7. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

new head coach

[​IMG]

8. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

Phillips will have a great legacy, but I think the game has caught up with his schemes.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Ray Horton has certainly earned a chance to be a NFL head coach and should get multiple interviews this offseason. He's a LeBeau disciple and has won multiple rings as a player and coach. I'm still surprised the Cards passed on him for Bruce Arians.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

While I don't support the idea of Wade as our next HC if they can Kubiak, I hardly think that 83-65/56 % is indicative of a HC who's been in over his head and as a defensive coach he's always rated among the top echelon of 3-4 coordinators.

11. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

oh hell no! Ryans, Barwin, Williams, Quin were all not re-signed or traded due to their cap numbers. Wade had nothing to do with these guys not coming back.

Smith is turrible at managing the cap. For that alone he should be fired.

How much did Rick Smith spend on getting this article written?

12. burro

burro almost sentient

Cut to Jabroni Jones looking like a real NFL WR in Baltimore.

Eff you media. It's a conspiracy I tell ya..

13. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Jacoby has has looked like the same inconsistent wr he always was here. His numbers are horrible.

14. bigmck

bigmck Rookie

This ^^^^

15. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

i dont trust any head coach with braids or cornrows.

sorry. i just cant do it.

16. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

first off, thats racist as ****

2nd, he cut them off :whip:

17. Lord Bills

Lord Bills Destruction

im not, but that's just how i feel. i wouldnt want my doctor, president (voted for obama btw), lawyer or anybody who makes important life altering decisions to have braids/cornrows.

Would you? Id feel the same if somebody had pink hair or a mullet.

If he's cut them then cool. Anybody but kubiak.

18. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

I'm done with Wade. His system works in the front-seven because it's simple. It doesn't work in the secondary because.....it's simple. Playing man coverage across a formation gets you killed against any competent QB. As has been shown time after time.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

The game passes everyone by eventually. Simple might have gotten it done back in the day but offenses will pick that crap apart all day long now once they see who Wade has doing what.

When Wade comes in and takes over a defense it's usually following a coaching change (obviously) and coaching changes are brought on by poor performance on the field. Wade looks at everything he has to work with and puts those players in the best possible position to succeed by keeping it simple and letting them do what they do best. That's a real talent he has there and it shouldn't be just dismissed by us...... "but"

Eventually everyone works out what he's got these guys doing and things start to kind of fall apart as OC's everywhere figure out where the cracks are and exploit them.

It's time for Wade to retire. It really is. We got him in the twilight of his career and at a point when the game was changing and not in a way that would help him at all.

20. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Really? Only black guys can have corn rows or braids? I did not know that. :kitten:

For some reason, I got a mental image of Kubiak with corn rows. That's funny shat right there.
    Too bad maObama didn't have corn rows when he ran for the presidency. Maybe more racists like you wouldn't have voted for him. :gun:

I'm not sure if the system is the issue in the backfield or the coaching/talent is. How can the coaches consistently let the DB's play man and give a 10+ yard cushion? No attempts at jamming the WR's off the LOS or disguising coverages. Remember when JJo and DMan 1st got here and talked about disguising coverages and how brand new that was to the Texans?

I'm absolutely disgusted about nearly everything Texans at this point. The only highlight is it looks like we'll be spending a high draft pick on a QB instead of DL for a change.

Horton wouldn't bother me a bit as HC if we can't lure Cowher out of retirement.

Has anyone checked to see if Reliant Stadium/Astrodome is built on an ancient Indian burial ground? The football gods hate us for some reason. Even Tampa, New Orleans and Seattle have made it to the Super Bowl. The Oilers had t move and change names before they made it.