Wade: Year 2..........Boom or Bust?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 7, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

We're all excited about the upcoming season. And here's the first article from Kuharsky that we have been expecting since he was sighted at OTAs.
    ............with a nice picture of our D-coordinator.

2. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Couldn't fit the whole quote but JJ's comment was sig worthy. So true. So true.

3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Why do people keep saying this? We did not finish number 2 overall in points allowed, we were #4. At one point we were #2 during the season, but fell a bit towards the end. Still a top 5 defense, which is good enough for any reasonable fan or coach.

4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Last year, with Schaub, AJ, & Foster, we were on pace for another league leading offense, & those guys only played 2 games together.

& that's playing a top 10 defense in more games than not.

If this defense, with Brooks coming at them, & Antonio coming to get them, & Watt coming to get them, & Barwing... & Cush... blah, blah, blah is going to be what we need them to be, our offense has to be able to get out to an early lead & keep the pedal to the metal. Something we've never done on a consistent basis.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Because the standard is total yards. Been that way for a while. I understand your point about points.

But the team #1 vs yards allowed will be crowned the #1 defense.

TejasTom likes this.
  6. ckhouston

ckhouston Hall of Fame

The Texans will have the #1 defense next year ... my fantasy draft says so. :hurrah:

7. Rey

Rey Guest

IMO it should be about the average ranking of several categories. Ut shouldn't be one category Because of the different factors outside their control that can affect some if their stats.

8. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Exactly. There should be numerous categories. One stat is mileading. Team A could be a defense that allows an offense to pick up 500 yards a game, but only surrenders 10 points per game due to turnovers and strong defensive play when it matters. There could be another team, Team B, whose defense surrenders only 200 yards of offense but 30 points per game becuase their offense continuously turns it over in the redzone. Which Defense is better?

According to the yards issue, Team B is better. On points, Team A is better. Therefore several categories need to be examined.

9. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Points allowed are not always on the defense. Offensive turnovers. Special teams. Take the playoff game versus the Ravens. Was that 2 yard TD drive on the defense or the special teams? Points aren't as indicative of a defense's performance as yards allowed.

10. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

msr

thunderkyss likes this.
  11. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

BOOM!!!

I know what the stats say about Wade's second year as DC and defensive turnarounds. That said, he had no real offseason last year and I beleive it was JJ Watt that said Wade had only installed about 75% of his last year because of not having OTA's and such.

12. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I believe the defense will be a beast this year.

13. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

It always worries me somewhat when coaches claim they have only installed X% of their playbook and how they are going to install the rest of it next season. It worked the way you had it, so why change things? Look what happened to Frank Bush when he decided it was time to get complicated.

That said, I do trust in Wade and am excited for this season, especially as I think we now have a lot more versatility in our pass rush rotation.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

These stats really have no corelation.
    They failed to take into account a lot of things:

1. Change in personnel.

2. Serveral teams made good strides in the first year and ended up with a better record than the year before Wade joined the team. They were rewarded with a heavier schedule in Wade's second year.

3. Points allowed could be due to special team play or INTs or fumbles by the offense. Also a down year by the offense can affect the defense as well (Falcons with and without Michael Vick, for example.)

4. A slight decrease in ranking doesn't really tell you anything. On occasions, the team allowed fewer points or yards in the second year, but the ranking still went down.

5. There are actual increase in performance on some teams.

In summary, these stats mean squat! :choke:

15. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk DieHard Texan!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  16. pec0sb0b

pec0sb0b on the lam

All this second year stuff is a bunch of hooey. I've read this same line of reasoning in at leat ten different articles since Phillips came to Houston. It figures that Kuharsky would regurgitate it as his own sooner or later.

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I wonder what we'd think of this "hooey" if Wade was coaching for the Jags, or the Titans...

Or if their coaches had shown a pattern of second year dips.....

18. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Just stick with the missionary position, it works don't it? I prefer a more varied "playbook".

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I prefer 3-4 d and Phillips version even more. However, if players on offense comparable to defense, offense should win every time. The O knows where the play is going and dictates the action. Wade is successfull because he convinces his guys THEY dictate the action. His daddy was successfull as he also was able to convince his guys they could outperform the competition. As someone slightly famous once said "you can't underestimate the heart of a champion." Bum believed it way before Rudy.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Let me understand this... you're equating Frank Bush to Wade Phillips?
    say it ain't so....