Wade Smith G to visit this weekend

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by ArlingtonTexan, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

2. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Good, we need O-Lineman and Smith is quality. He's not a stud, but he'd be an upgrade over Studdard or Myers.

3. ArlingtonTexan

4. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I think he's depth and camp competition. Studdard and Brisiel/Caldwell are still tentatively starters I'd say (very tentatively).

6. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

I think he would be a favorite to start imo. Either way, we sorely need depth at this position after last year and with Pitts basically gone.

7. ArlingtonTexan

Apparently, he can play almost anywhere along the line, and the local guy in the link thought he was the most valuable Olmen for the Chiefs last year.

8. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

Sounds like a quality player.

9. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

10. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm just not feeling it. He hasn't started 16 games since 2003 and he's supposed to be better than anything we had last year at guard? Sounds to me like he was more or less exactly what we had last year at guard, just older. Just what the Texans needed, a guy who's spent most of 8 years in the league sitting on the bench behind other, better players.

Reminds me of the last time we went to KC and picked up some OL depth. Jordan Black part-deux.

Now there was a real difference maker eh?

11. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Didn't KC's OL suck balls last year? Not exciting news.

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

27th in the league...........let me contain my excitement.:shades:

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

A reasonably solid player. Not a standout by ANY stretch of the imagination, but probably would add good depth.

14. ArlingtonTexan

He is largely what you are going to get this year in free agency. Pretty much everybody is some combination of old, injured and/or mediocore. Smith is probably a better version of Chris White.

Here is one list. the guys in red are either RFA or have signed somewhere else. Literally, outside of our Chester Pitts, this guy is the "best" left that fits what the Texans do.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2010G.php

15. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Chester must not have fit what they wanted to do because they made no attempt whatsoever to re-sign him? Also for all those Iupati fans another smaller undersized zbs OG. I've learned my lesson each year getting excited about OL prospects only to succumb to other teams leftovers. not a happy camper :roast:

16. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I hear you beerlover. A 289 pound OG from one of the worst lines in football doesnt do it for me either.

17. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

More I read about him the more I think he's the OL version of Antonio Smith. Just a solid versatile lineman who can acquit himself well in the trenches. I would prefer us to pick up Stephen Neal just because I think with his former NCAA champion wrestling pedigree and being a starting caliber OL with the Patriots he would provide us a guy who could actually get us some push in the pocket but I wouldn't be at all upset with Smith if he can supplant one of the current starters.

I'd really like to see Caldwell step up and be the player we need him to be. I don't call bust on rookies but considering who was starting ahead of him last year i'm awfully tempted to say he underperformed for his all SEC 4 year starter at Alabama pedigree.

18. ArlingtonTexan

FWIW, I have seen him listed anywehre from 296 to 315, so I have no real idea what his actually playing weight is. The thing with interior OLmen is that a team had to either develop or get lucky on a mid-late round guys or even high UDFA for those spots. I saw that stats earlier this week, it is was something like over the last 8 drafts only like 12-15 interior Olmen have been 1st round guys. Basically, whatever you style is a team needs to figure out how to propely evaluate Guards and Centers.

19. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Neal's not gonna happen:

LINK

20. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

The Texans have seemed to make it a plan to sign FAs to any positions that are hardcore "need' positions before the draft, freeing them to take more of a BPA approach. With Pitts leaving, they really need someone else on the OL, even if just for depth/backup. Smith ought to be able to fill that role - not a huge improvement, but enough that the team doesn't absolutely have to pick up an OL in the draft.

By the same logic, I would really expect them to pick up a RB (assuming Slaton is not ready - if they really think he is, they might not) before the draft - again, even if it's not as a starter.